Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brclark82

Chicago River

12 posts in this topic

Anyone on here ever gone out on the Chicago River?  I always thought it would be cool to take my own boat thru the downtown area instead of a river cruise by wasn't sure what to expect. 

I have a 21' H2O.  

Is it difficult to navigate the other (sometimes much larger or smaller) boats?

I see Daley Park seems to be a good launch site, does that seem correct?

Do you have to be extra careful for many obstacles anywhere along the river?

Anything else I may need to know?

Thanks

try the 31st street ramps at that marina and then boat over to the locks.  no issues once in the river.  the locks require lifejackets to be worn by everyone during the filling/draining etc.

bring a few extra bumpers as the side walls are rusty and there will be some chop that can slam your boat into the side.  make sure you have a radio VHF with you so you can listen to the lock operator and follow instruction - otherwise just follow the other boats and take their lead.

Good to know, I have never really looked into going out on Lake Michigan before since I have such a small boat but didn't realize there were public boat launches that close to downtown.

Anything else I should know about of I do decide to do this.  Rules or areas to avoid or places I should go etc

Thanks

there are a few restaurants you can access once in the river downtown - which can be fun.  one of the best steak houses in Chicago  "Chicago Cut" is right on the river and if you call and order food they will deliver it down to you on the water - 4-star restaurant so it is pricey but the food is great (i like their canjun style ribeye and lobster mac and cheese)  not really summer on the boat food but it is good.  really, just cruising the river and taking in the downtown sites alone is a fun thing

Awesome I really appreciate the info...what exactly should I look for as far as weather is concerned to be comfortable on my 21'? Do I need a couple calm days in a row before it's ok or is it ok as long as it isn't too windy the day I want to go out?  

Sorry I have never been on a body of water that large (Lake Michigan) and dobt want to get in over my head. I would never be very far off shore

not on the river - but visit NOAA website and look at the wave forecast for the day.  for your size boat a forecast of SW winds and waves of 1' or less is perfect.  1-2' is still fine & anything more i would say not a great day 

There is also Burnham Harbor you could put in at. It is between 31st street harbor and the Chicago river. It's has more parking spaces available for trailer parking. You can also boat by navy pier on your way to the river. If you are there on a warm weekend you can go north of navy pier and you will find the play pen where boats anchor. Google play pen Lake Michigan. There is a large sign on entrance to locks that explains the pecking order for boats into lock. 

Shaun

i believe Toddler has attended that before - he may be able to tell you about it.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:58 PM, Challenger604 said:

As soon as they open the registration for this we are signing up. Making it a guys weekend. Never done something like this. Looks like a blast. 

Just saw this.

I've done this a couple of times to get on the Lake with a group. They ussually have a good party on Friday night.