Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AOSJeff

Tower Speakers

4 posts in this topic

Hello,  I currently have a JL 4/400 powering 4 Polk audio 6 1/2" tower speakers and was going to upgrade to JL audio mx650's to take the polks place. The JL's don't fit the speaker cans to my standards and was wondering if 4 m770's would sound better than 2 m880's? I'm not wanting to change my amp set up but just want to get the best sound for the buck. Any help with experiance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I will be having 4 Polk Audio 61/2" speakers for sale that only have one season on them and custom tower speaker cans that have red front and back with brushed aluminum cans. Clamps will fit 2.375" or smaller towers.

31 minutes ago, AOSJeff said:

was wondering if 4 m770's would sound better than 2 m880's?

In theory, no, not better, but certainly louder. In the case of the 880, it may actually be a different outcome regarding SQ. In the 7.7 series, there is an actual T tower model designed for small tower pods. This improves the mid-bass as compared to the same 7.7C in-boat if run in a small pod. However, the 8.8 only comes in a C in-boat version. In a small tower pod, mid-bass is reduced a little, letting the large 1.25" tweeter to become a little dominate. Another thing to consider, is amplifier configuration. 2 pair 7.7's wired 4 chnl stereo would be 75W rms each for a total of 300W tower setup. A single pair of 8.8 you would want to run them bridged with the amp in 2 chnl mode, for 200W rms to each for a total of 400W to the tower. This extra wattage could make up the volume difference between 2 and 4 pods. 

Wow! Thanks was_wylie_tunes.

You helped me with an earlier post I made about the in boat speakers.

I can actually get a better deal on the pair of m880's than the 4 770's. About 300 deer cheaper.

I changed the bow speakers to Mx650 because the 7.7 wouldn't fit and the cockpit speakers to m770's. I also added a M10ib5 sub. I'm running m700/5 for the sub and the in boat speakers. The system sounds awesome and well worth the money. The current tower speakers are fine but I want the kids to hear the music load and clear while pulling them and also when we are just hanging out in a cove.

My local JL guy seems to think the quad 770's would be the best route but at the same time the long through 880's I've heard nothing but great things about.

if it were your boat which route would you take?

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, AOSJeff said:

The current tower speakers are fine but I want the kids to hear the music load and clear while pulling them

7 hours ago, AOSJeff said:

if it were your boat which route would you take?

Wet Sounds Rev-10 driven by a Wet Sounds Syn-DX4. Other wise, I would suggest 2 pair of the 8.8 and yes, you will need another amp. Swap out the M400/4 or add a 2nd.