Dude-

SSX 307 OR SSX 327

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to pick your brains on the ssx 307ssx327.  Are they good boat?  I currently own an ssi275 and love it to death, probably because of boating and not just the boat..  I've been looking at the ssx307 and ssx327 which are  beautiful boats but I can't seem to find customer reviews on these boats.  So if you have a 307 or a 327 can you share your experiences? Im in manhasset bay new york and want to venture to montauk or south shore long island  with the family but not sure if these boats will handle rough water well.  At the NY boat shows all the other manufacturers says I won't be happy with Chaparrals in open waters.  Not sure if thats a scare tactic. Do you guys go into open waters or rough conditions? 

I test drove my boat in 6-8 foot waves with a high frequency in L.M.  no boat of that size can slam into them at full plane but 1/4 the waves and being responsible it was a dry ride.  normal 3 footers i can go almost WOT with control.  it all depends what you want.  cuddy guys will say it is safer to have the closed bow, i am sure that is correct but for me the sqft of available outdoor space was the deciding factor.  when its 90 outside the cabin is no place to be.  Mine doesn't have a generator (another 12k adder) and i find the windows down below are plenty of ventilation to keep it reasonable.  Its NOT a ski boat - you can pull tubes and ski behind it but the turbulence and wake size make it harder or less fun.  I believe its a destination boat - gets you and a ton of people to your destination with comfort & style & quickly.  best attributes are at anchor with shade, fridge, sun space and a large swim pad.  cannot comment on ocean open water but for the Great Lakes I think it is the perfect size and layout.  

Thanks Delaney.  You have a beautiful boat. Same here as the real estate in the bow is more important to me.   My current 275 is a cuddy and we never use it.  

The key question is do you like your 327 and do you recommend it?

I moved up from a 2008 Sunesta 264 - I have found that the increased sqft is dramatically more - for that yes - its a great boat and i love it.  The downsides are:

its too big to trailer, i had mine in a slip for a few years and it is currently at my lake house we invested in so i am trading the cost of the slip w/ the expenses of a home.  The cost to haul out and store is a bit more but not much.  i do a lot of stuff DIY and that helps w/ twin engines and costs.  I am looking for a used Jet Ski to wake board behind as the boat is too big for my family to drive around pulling my kids.  If i were wanting a boat for long distance trips on open water on a regular basis I think a center console would be a great choice.  if i were making a long trip once a year the 327 is more than capable but you will burn the fuel - figure 400-500 deer per fill up.  it is heavy full loaded probably around 12k lbs.  overall, i love it but you need to ask yourself what you want out of it.  

We spend most of our time in the ocean with ours.  Last boat was the 287.  I can tell you that it does ride better which I contribute to the size and weight difference.  We spend a lot of days a year in the ocean, been out over 70 miles countless times fishing.  Although we really did not use the cabin space other than storage I do prefer it over not having it just for the added storage.  We do have the generator so the admiral  would utilize it for those real hot days.  We love the open bow for reasons Delaney stated and have no fear of ocean going because of it.  You just got to be smart and pick your days.  I always took the bow cover along just in case but never had to use it.  I would have a hard time going back from twin engines although winterization, maintenance, and fuel is double the cost. This is by far the most favorable boat I used / owned to date.  Engine access is cramped on the 327.  They changed the 337 so the whole back comes up which is a big plus.  The extra 1 foot on the 337 comes from the swim pad.

Yes this is not a water sports friendly boat, never really considered trying it.  We use the jet ski's for that.  The 287 to me was a bit much too which I used for tubing a few times.  Its a big jump from a 275.  Not what I would call very portable on land.  Ours goes in April and comes back out in October, and is kept on a lift at the house.  Deciding factors for us was the ability to spend all day with the family out anchored somewhere for the day, 12 to 14 people, have a place to duck out of the weather if need be, be large enough to be comfortable spending a day in the ocean fishing, and having a 2nd engine for piece of mind when out there.  You could over night with two people but we have not done yet.  I added two 30 gal aux fuel tanks in the ski locker and still had storage room left. I love this boat.

Now having said all that, our boating lifestyle has changed because of the 327.  instead of the 60/40 spilt from cruising around with the family and fishing we are more around 80/20 favoring fishing and even family time includes fishing.  Although I set up the 327 for ocean fishing including out riggers and could run a 6 line spread with no problem, we are in the process of trading her in for a CC.  Bigger, more engines and better suited for fishing.  Think long and hard on what kind of boating you enjoy, what your budget would be to operate and maintain then size the boat accordingly.  No boat is big enough.  Good luck with your search.

Deal is pending on the 327, who ever gets her is getting a #$^% of a nice boat that was well maintained, she will be missed!! 

You may also want to consider outboard power. Much better for the salt water, as well as minimal maintenance

compared to stern drives.

Some nice big  O/B powered bow riders out there now.

SLX 310

{option}searay_slx310ob_running1_2017.jpg

If I didn't have kids I would be after a 337.  Party barge with weekend accommodations for two!  Perfect design. 

Still Kicking, your bouat set up is pretty sick.  I do 80/20 fishing as well but since I live in the long island sound, theres really nothing but stripers and blues so I  don't need a dedicated CC for fishing.  Although I would love to do a cannon run once or twice a year for some small tuna action.  If your deal don't go thru please let me know, I definitely in the market for one.   I'm shying away from the 307 as I cannot find any owner reviews.

30 minutes ago, Dude- said:

I'm shying away from the 307 as I cannot find any owner reviews.

So you believe everything you read ? No review = no good without reading a biased review.

Millenials........

No, no review can also mean theres less owners which ultimately means less popular, maybe less resale value. I've done research on the 307 vs 327, there are tons of marketing information on the 327 which is great.  Case in point is I already have two owners willing to share one the 327.  How would anyone buy the boat in the future if now one knows about 307

Yes I have two millennials. :)

Room wise 327 is great.  If you will be keeping your boat in salt water, like I keep my 327, I would stay away.  Also I can't speak for everyone else for the price I paid I have had issues with it.  I guess at the price point the 327 ssx is at it seems I should not have the number of problems I have had.  I will say when it is all working, its the best boat out there, except for maybe Formula 430-super-sport-crossover or 350 CBR with outboards.

Happy to jump in regarding 307SSX. I too, have noticed not as many 307SSX owners on this forum. Purchased new last year on Lake Ontario. Hadn't been in boating for a while but years back owned Grady White & Egg Harbor. Spent a lot of years on the water sailing & stink-potting. Our purchase decision was made based on lifestyle. Great party boat, comfortable lay-out & handles well in all the conditions that I took it out in.  Everyone aboard provided positive feed back compared to their own boats. All remarked to how nice the boat looks. One of the reasons for purchase was looks but I never expected the design praise I heard all summer. As far as handling: the Great Lakes have their own set of conditions, different from coastal ocean boating. Wave trough is much tighter which can create a whole different set of problems. With the right crews last season, I chased some "rough sea days" and everyone was impressed with the way the boat took the conditions.  Re-sale was a concern of mine.  Not many 30+ foot bow-riders where I am ( mostly 20'-27') but, when talking to dealers along the east coast, many told me 30'+ were the major sellers.  Plenty of storage on this boat & again, for our lifestyle, 327 wasn't considered an option. Very seldom were we using the cuddy on the Grady, accept for storage & head.

Good luck with your decision. I'm happy enough with mine to recommend the 307SSX.

Both are great boats. Whatever you buy, please invite all of us along. 

brick

I think there are a lack of reviews on the 307 because it is still a relatively new model.  There simply aren't that many out there yet.

Sorry i'm late to the party here...been in Playa Del Carman the past couple weeks. I am a loyal Chap owner here and have progressed through the ranks. 2002 230SSI , 256SSI , 276 ,SSx , 327 SSX and now a 307 SSX just purchased last season. I loved the 327 but the water I boat on is not condusive to the amenities of the 327. I bought the 327 in 2002 when the 307 was not available. The lake system I am on is a chain of lakes that are divided by low clearance bridges thus limiting 25% of the water I boat on. I have found that the 307 has just as much or more usable space on the main deck. My 327 was underpowered (twin Volvo 5.7Gxi    320HP with joystick. My new 307 is powered by twin ne generation Volvo 350hp with joystick. It is well powered. I do not do overnight outings...all of my boating is within 10 miles from my lake home. The 327 is a very big boat..I enjoyed it...but I have found my perfect fit with the 307. I need to mention that I ordered this 307 with the retractable arch so I could get iunder various bridges.

Edited by okobojihawk
add

The 307 does look pretty good.  Thats one of the reason why I looked into the 307.  Both these boats are beautiful in every way.