Sign in to follow this  
Guzzi

Lake Oroville

Anyone here on Oroville Lake? We are praying for the people in Southern California. From what I am seeing on the news this dam is in trouble and it is a major water supply for Southern California. From what I am seeing "Best Case" is a lot of expensive damage to the dam. Worst case kind of writes itself.

Hoping and praying for the best.

Joe

I think I heard that it is the spillway that is in danger, not the dam itself. But catastrophic results either way, with more rain forecast for this week. 

brick

Our neighbor is from this area. She and her husband's family members have already evacuated and do not plan to return anytime soon. They tell her they are worried.

Joe

That lake holds 1.14 Trillion gallons of water= 3,5000,00 acre feet. Second largest reservoir in the state. Hope everything holds.

Oroville is about 70 miles north of Sacramento. This is looking bad.....they're getting more rain this week.

If the spill ways are undermined.  No one can be sure of the main dam soil strength. The dam is totally in a unsure condition. Being the tallest dam in the USA would create a 30' high gusher racing down the riverbed. No chance for people in the way.

On February 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Guzzi said:

Anyone here on Oroville Lake? We are praying for the people in Southern California. From what I am seeing on the news this dam is in trouble and it is a major water supply for Southern California. From what I am seeing "Best Case" is a lot of expensive damage to the dam. Worst case kind of writes itself.

Hoping and praying for the best.

Joe

I grew up going to Oroville 3-4 times a year.  Now I live in Indiana and its VERY funny how midwest people have NO concept of how big the state of CA is.  "praying for the people in Southern California".   Lake Oroville is a 8hr drive from "Southern California" (i.e. LA).   BUT yes LA does depend on WATER from Northern CA.   

FYI I grew up in San Jose (just south of San Francisco).  

I never thought I would EVER see the lake at the top of the dam.  The last couple of years I was in CA the lake was 150 ft down from normal pool level..

Something tells me the Dam spillway received ZERO maintenance over the years as no one EVER expected it to see a drop of water.....  

Check out this slide show to see how bad the drought has been the past couple of years.

http://www.kcra.com/article/a-portrait-of-the-drought-before-and-after-photos-show-lake-oroville/6347154

Edited by IndyChap
add link to slide show

They shut the spillway off at this dam and there is a pretty good bit of damage. This is going to cost a bit more than a new raw water impeller replacement.

Joe

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

Crap that is a lot of damage. The chopper in the pitcher gives you an idea how big the damage is. 

I would never get down stream of that dam again. There is MASSIVE DIRT under that spillway. Next rain storm . More support collapses.  Soil engineers did not know or get the correct amount of down to bed rock fill done.

What is the main dam sitting on ?

That is a lot of damage high up on the face of the dam. Closer to the top it gets thinner. Wonder just how far into the dam the damage goes. Now I understand why they have brought the level WAY ( heard 150ft but not sure) down before they shut off the spillway.

Glad I'm not the Geo Engineer that gets this call.

Joe

On 2/24/2017 at 9:51 PM, IndyChap said:

I grew up going to Oroville 3-4 times a year.  Now I live in Indiana and its VERY funny how midwest people have NO concept of how big the state of CA is.  "praying for the people in Southern California".   Lake Oroville is a 8hr drive from "Southern California" (i.e. LA).   BUT yes LA does depend on WATER from Northern CA.   

FYI I grew up in San Jose (just south of San Francisco).  

I never thought I would EVER see the lake at the top of the dam.  The last couple of years I was in CA the lake was 150 ft down from normal pool level..

Something tells me the Dam spillway received ZERO maintenance over the years as no one EVER expected it to see a drop of water.....  

Check out this slide show to see how bad the drought has been the past couple of years.

http://www.kcra.com/article/a-portrait-of-the-drought-before-and-after-photos-show-lake-oroville/6347154

Yep, kind of knew how big California is. Kind of knew where this dam is. While I was and remain concerned about the people living directly below the dam my concern remains for the long term effects on the huge numbers of people that depend on this water supply. This summers water was released to save this dam. An area suffering from an extended drought has been forced to drain off a year or more of water reserve. 

Hopefully the drought is over but if it is not and they fail to get something in place prior to snow melt and are forced to drain off the snow melt as well then a large portion of Southern California is going to remain dry or drier and we will have watched a great gift from God wasted. How nice would it have been for the majority of the states population if all of the Northern California reservoirs had been "Topped Off" by this abundance of moisture.

Seems now that the chances of the majority of the states population to see any relief from the water shortage issues of the last several years has kind of gone away.

I don't know the details of the California water storage and use system but it seems to me that a year or two supply of water was flushed away to save this dam, hence my concern for the people of Southern California. While I don't have a very good opinion of Southern California (yes, been there TOO MANY times) and don't care for the area at all I do not wish even more hardships on people that are struggling already.

Joe

Here is a comparison of what could happen if the dam breaks.  Johnstown, PA 1889

http://www.vintag.es/2017/02/the-johnstown-flood-27-rare-photographs.html

I visited Johnstown two years ago. They have a great museum in town and also at the dam. In the link, it shows you a view from the broken dam. Today, RR tracks run through the valley.

The break was caused by little or no maintenance over the years and heavy rain.

Honestly I don't know if this could have been avoided. An earthen dam like this where the spillway is located. This lake level has been very low for years. The upper portions of the dam have to have dried out and settled over the years. This happens to home foundations all the time. Fill the lake to overflowing in only 60 days and soil compaction and stability has to have been affected. Any crack in the concrete spillway from drying and settling over the years when exposed to water flow would erode under and around the crack and there you go.

Keeping the lake at least mostly full probably would have prevented this but if that is all the water you got then I guess you use it.

Joe

Again, just my 2c.

All kinds of information out there, just nobody looks for it or at it. Just a couple of links that show everyone in charge of the money knew, they just did not address the issues. Cannot continue to "Defer" maintenance forever.

Still not sure if this could have been avoided but they sure knew about lack of maintenance.

Joe

http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2016/3353/deferred-maintenance-021116.pdf

http://www.ascecareportcard.org/citizen_guides/Citizen's%20guide%202012_Revised.pdf

This is like a soap opera out there.

Let's call it "As the Dam Crumbles".

http://freebeacon.com/culture/california-must-provide-trans-prisoners-compression-underwear/

I'm sure some are going to disagree but I do think this is a bit ridiculous and more than a bit unfair to the Calif tax payers. These people ended up in prison by their own actions. In my opinion they gave up their rights to "Wants" and should be happy the tax payers are providing their "Needs".

Wonder why Calif defers maintenance on infrastructure and assets. Inmates running the asylum out there.

Joe