EricGT

Anyone tint their windshield?

26 posts in this topic

It's a slow day today at the store.

So surfing facebook I notice my local tint shop posted some pics of boats they have completed.

I asked about how the tint holds up in a salt water environment and they have had no concerns thus far.

Besides the aesthetic advantage, I imagine it would have to help keep some of the temps off the black dash in the summer.  The bimini always seems to cover right up until where the dash begins which is where my GPS and cell phone are mounted.

I know the cons are regarding poor visibility in dusk and dawn situations.  But the few times I would be out after dusk I can easily see over the windshield while seated on the bolster.

My biggest concern would probably go back to the durability in a marine environment.

There was a Chaparral Signature (300 or 310, I don't remember) that had dark tinted windows.  The deck area was reupholstered in black and white too.  I thought it looked OK, but not my cup of tea.

My last Chap had a tinted windshield.  I took it off the minute the boat was in the driveway.  It was one notch lighter than limo tint and I didn't like it.  

Previous owner applied tint.  I plan on removing it this spring as I didn't notice any advantage last summer and it gets weird and splotchy when you're wearing polarized sunglasses.

Durability wise, it looks like it was just applied and I'm guessing it's been on there for at least 5 years (fresh water use only).

Any tips on the best way to remove? :)

My friend has your exact boat and color. His windshield is tinted and it looks real good, the black and white color scheme pop. Go for it.

15 minutes ago, brirei said:

I just pealed up a corner with a razor blade and pulled.  Maybe I was lucky but each panel came off in one piece and left almost no film behind. 

1 hour ago, Rip5 said:

Durability, and re-sale. Not everyone likes tinted boat windshields.

Resale?  This is my last boat!*

*disclaimer to the Admiral 

56 minutes ago, brirei said:

Previous owner applied tint.  I plan on removing it this spring as I didn't notice any advantage last summer and it gets weird and splotchy when you're wearing polarized sunglasses.

Durability wise, it looks like it was just applied and I'm guessing it's been on there for at least 5 years (fresh water use only).

If I may ask, why are you looking to remove it?

14 minutes ago, EricGT said:

If I may ask, why are you looking to remove it?

Mainly because of the weird vision it gives with polarized sunglasses.  I also noticed reduced vision in low-light conditions.

3 hours ago, RoyR said:

Mine is not tinted - the glass came like that...

Wow, that looks great!  I love the black frame.

3 hours ago, Ghostknife said:

I think it looks good but i never look through the windshield while driving. Like the breeze in my face.

Agreed.  My Harley windshield was tinted too.  But I always had it set so I could look over the top of it and not through it.  It helped to take the glare off the road.

On February 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM, brirei said:

Mainly because of the weird vision it gives with polarized sunglasses.  I also noticed reduced vision in low-light conditions.

Curved glass almost always has the "splotchy" look, this is especially noticeable with polarized sunglasses.  My non tinted windshield  has this... (except for the perfectly flat center section).  If you had sunglasses this shot would show spots all over the curved windshield. 

{option}http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Boating/E9373560-11A7-4523-9375-79186D97B362_zpsstob0trm.jpg[/IMG]

On 2/21/2017 at 3:46 PM, brirei said:

If you start at one end by warming it, lift the corner and warm the path that you are pulling to, it will come off and leave no glue. it is all about getting the right temperature, a good hot sunny day works well also. If you start using a razor blade, you will need a good glue remover also.  Denny.

Heck i thought about getting it tinted just for the fact of keeping the dash from fading more than it is. Im sure the "next" owner would rather deal with pulling tint over looking at an ugly dash lol.

19 minutes ago, Ghostknife said:

Heck i thought about getting it tinted just for the fact of keeping the dash from fading more than it is. Im sure the "next" owner would rather deal with pulling tint over looking at an ugly dash lol.

Yeah, I can't see tint being a sales deterrent.  I purchased a car once with horribly tinted windows.  My shop removed it for $50 and you never knew it was there. 

13 hours ago, IndyChap said:

Curved glass almost always has the "splotchy" look, this is especially noticeable with polarized sunglasses.  My non tinted windshield  has this... (except for the perfectly flat center section).  If you had sunglasses this shot would show spots all over the curved windshield. 

{option}http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/Boating/E9373560-11A7-4523-9375-79186D97B362_zpsstob0trm.jpg[/IMG]

Ah, good to know.  Thanks!

Maybe I'll leave it be...

5 hours ago, Ghostknife said:

If you're concerned with a fading dash, maybe consider one of these:

Dash Carpet

I'm probably being an a$$ (been drinking) but the only reason to tint boat windows is for the cool daytime look.  Real boaters will be out day or night, thus tint would be more hazardous then not.  If you are a daylight hero only, go for it.  I myself don't care about how cool the boat looks as much as I care if it will get me to the fun, and back home.

No Duane, you are not being an @ss. 

Cool daytime look is 75% of what I am shooting for.  lol

As for night time boating, I have the option of sitting on the bolster to see over the windshield.  When performing watersports or if in busy areas I prefer this seating position anyway because it gets me up above the windshield so I can get a better overall view of the water.

The other 25% comes from the fact that I have very sensitive eyes.  I wear sunglasses even on cloudy, rainy days.  So I am 'assuming' tinting the windshield may take some of the glare off the water that sometimes makes me squint when the sun hits it at a certain angle.

I hear you.  My eyes aren't as sensitive.  At night when idling around I like to sit back and relax, so I'm always turning off anything that gives me any reflection in the windshield.  If I go faster than idle (good moon nights) then I too sit on bolster for non restrictive view, because even regular non-tinted windows restrict too much view to allow plaining speeds at night, even under perfect conditions.  I do a lot of night boating, and find it more pleasurable than day boating.  But you have to be careful.  More than once I've been closer to shore or another boat than desired due to misinterputation of situational awareness.  Each encounter has taught me to be more cautious and slower than ever at night.  It's so easy to misread things at night and takes longer to recognize dangers, thus slower speeds keep me alive.  It amazes me to see and hear boats running full throttle at night.  Sometime we get to read about them here :/

5 minutes ago, Duane2135 said:

I hear you.  My eyes aren't as sensitive.  At night when idling around I like to sit back and relax, so I'm always turning off anything that gives me any reflection in the windshield.  If I go faster than idle (good moon nights) then I too sit on bolster for non restrictive view, because even regular non-tinted windows restrict too much view to allow plaining speeds at night, even under perfect conditions.  I do a lot of night boating, and find it more pleasurable than day boating.  But you have to be careful.  More than once I've been closer to shore or another boat than desired due to misinterputation of situational awareness.  Each encounter has taught me to be more cautious and slower than ever at night.  It's so easy to misread things at night and takes longer to recognize dangers, thus slower speeds keep me alive.  It amazes me to see and hear boats running full throttle at night.  Sometime we get to read about them here :/

+1

The boating community needs more responsible owner/operators like you.  :beer-7687-1:

You're welcome to boat around Long Island anytime you're in the area!