43 posts in this topic

I have been looking all winter on-line at PWC's.  my question to the group is 

1. generally speaking what is the % of movement dealers really have from advertised pricing

2. any difference in website advertisments such as PWCtrader.com?  

just curious as all dealers should make money but how thin can do they go.  1 year old new leftovers have greater discounts?

Buying & selling is ALL about Talking the other person up or down.  Some people are not comfortable about doing that.

Never hurts to ask... Most asking prices are a bit high, with the expectation some dickering will happen.

Worth / book is 11K. I want 10K for the thing to be rid of it. I'll ask 12K and let him talk me down 2K. Buyer gets it for under book and at 16.7% discount and is happy and I get my 10K..... Perfect.

Buy the leftovers or a good used one.  Jet skis are all about the same so get the best deal.  

i agree that a slightly used or leftover is exactly what i want - harder to find than i thought

Have you checked Boat trader, Craig's list, local boat dealers and the internet?  I bought one of mine off of my neighbor who I asked how he liked his jet ski.  He said it was boring to ride alone and was going to sell it.  It had 50 hours on it.  The super charged ones are more costly to service but if you like speed 70+. I had to wear goggles to keep my eyes from watering.

Rare to find SLIGHTLY USED  pwc.  They are bought to beat to death.  In general AVOID  the boats with super chargers.  The 300 hour MAXIMUM life before a major rebuilds  can be very true.

I'm in the market for a second PWC.  I was just going to pull the trigger on a 30 hour, two year old model but then decided to buy my son a car for his 16th birthday so will buy the PWC next.  There are plenty of differences between them meaning Sea Doo and Yamaha as the Kawasaki's are just not as popular were I boat so other than what I read can't really comment much on that brand.  I generally focused my previous purchase on Yamaha but looked as some Sea Doos as well.

I started by looking at new leftovers and realized that the discounting isn't huge plus you need to buy a trailer and pay sales tax on the whole thing. Where as when you buy used from someone who put one season or two of hours on it and never used it again, you get a couple year old ski, with a trailer for a very large discount and no sales tax paid on used private party boat purchases only on the trailer.  That is why I will never be a new boat purchaser in my state.  

Some things I like about the Sea Doos and some things Iike about the Yamahas...I wished they were more similar to be honest.  

On 2/21/2017 at 0:43 PM, cyclops2 said:

Rare to find SLIGHTLY USED  pwc.  They are bought to beat to death.  In general AVOID  the boats with super chargers.  The 300 hour MAXIMUM life before a major rebuilds  can be very true.

This is PWCs in a nutshell. We usually go for the older two strokes as that is what we have gotten used to .  As with any vehicle, if you maintain them and don't beat the crap out of them, they should be RELATIVELY reliable. 

Yamahas have a reputation for being more reliable, but who knows. We are SeaDoo people.

Slightly used PWC's in immaculate condition are everywhere around me for sale and much more so as the season kicks in.  I won't even consider one that has over 30 hours or with even a single wear mark or scratch on it because there are so many that go unused and are the first thing to get sold.  They are expensive to operate and to get your value out of the price you paid for it, you need to use it and people just don't have the time that they thought they would.  It's the same story with 4 wheelers and boats.  You wouldn't believe how much gas we go through with our PWC each week as we live mostly at our lake home in the summer.  It is a shocking amount of gas but so far we have had only preventative/winterization type stuff to deal with maintenance wise.  People buy them and they end up sitting in their garage at their house under the factor cover after a season or two of use is the story I see.   I'm noticing a definite uptick in how fast they (these pristine, nearly new ones) are selling as well this year.     

Stating the obvious, I guess, but usage depends on your location and personal situation. Where my summer place is located, PWCs are perfect for going exploring, especially into the many nooks and crannies too tight for my Signature. On a hot summer day when launching a boat feels like a chore- jumping on a Seadoo is a real pleasure.

I bought 2 early last year before the season and received about $1500 off MSRP on a Seadoo GTX300 (for me) and about $800 off a Spark (for the kids). I can't overstate how much fun these machines have been. And, they've helped get my moody teens/young adults back on the lake. The one downside that nobody warns you about is insurance- it's costly. But, like everything- it depends what you want out of life. Somethings- like having fun with your kids- are worth any pricetag.

Big BINGO Doug !!

The Kids ?  Young adults. Are to soon to leave. 

I suddenly realized 1 year in college my daughter was a real young adult.  Not a good feeling.  Got VERY LUCKY wither husband........................

Cyclops proverb

Better to be dumb arse lucky. Than know everything. And be short changed by life.

I've owned most brands including Seadoo, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Polaris. Stick with a 4 stroke, naturally aspirated model and you'll be good to go for years with regular maintenance. 

Kawasaki has the most reliable SC models. But unless you need 250-310 HP, I'd stick with the NA motors. The best IMHO is the FX HO line from Yamaha. 

On 4/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, osteodoc08 said:

I've owned most brands including Seadoo, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Polaris. Stick with a 4 stroke, naturally aspirated model and you'll be good to go for years with regular maintenance. 

Kawasaki has the most reliable SC models. But unless you need 250-310 HP, I'd stick with the NA motors. The best IMHO is the FX HO line from Yamaha. 

Kawasaki, if I'm not totally off base here, just took their motorcycle engine and marinized it whereas the others have PWC specific engines purpose-built.  The Yamaha dealers and the Sea Doo dealers (service) is plentiful.  I don't know if I even see a single Kawasaki in a give year out of the hundreds of PWC I see on my lake meaning I'd at least consider the service availability aspect of the selection.  The best IMO is a Yamaha FX Sho....excellent reliability, zero supercharger maintenance and of course even though it is supercharged, Yamaha engineered them to run only on 87 octane with no need for any higher octane fuel.  Sea Doo can be run on 87 but is advised to run on higher or some such language.  Bottom line, I like the technology in a Sea Doo far more than Yamaha but much of that becomes a novelty soon but appreciate the Yamaha for their honest to goodness better reliability.  If I got a good enough deal on a supercharged Sea Doo, depending on which model, a few years old with under 30 hours...I'd have no problem buying it.  I mention the 87 vs higher octane fuel because our fuel usage is so amazingly high...It's like driving a 1970 GTO and watching the gas guage go down by the minute....which is a downside of the supercharged engines if I had to point to one.  

HA HA  HA.   A blower engined PWC trying to conserve gasoline.    :beat-dead-horse:       :haha-7383:

10 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Kawasaki, if I'm not totally off base here, just took their motorcycle engine and marinized it whereas the others have PWC specific engines purpose-built.  The Yamaha dealers and the Sea Doo dealers (service) is plentiful.  I don't know if I even see a single Kawasaki in a give year out of the hundreds of PWC I see on my lake meaning I'd at least consider the service availability aspect of the selection.  The best IMO is a Yamaha FX Sho....excellent reliability, zero supercharger maintenance and of course even though it is supercharged, Yamaha engineered them to run only on 87 octane with no need for any higher octane fuel.  Sea Doo can be run on 87 but is advised to run on higher or some such language.  Bottom line, I like the technology in a Sea Doo far more than Yamaha but much of that becomes a novelty soon but appreciate the Yamaha for their honest to goodness better reliability.  If I got a good enough deal on a supercharged Sea Doo, depending on which model, a few years old with under 30 hours...I'd have no problem buying it.  I mention the 87 vs higher octane fuel because our fuel usage is so amazingly high...It's like driving a 1970 GTO and watching the gas guage go down by the minute....which is a downside of the supercharged engines if I had to point to one.  

All makers have used marinized bike motors in the past. All the current NA 4-strokers are reliable. Early Seadoo 4tech motors had problems with valves with higher sodium content causing issues. Heavens knows Seadoo had tons of issues with ceramic s/c washers which they've since changed to metal. Yamaha SHO and SVHO have had issues with timing chains. Also failures with their washers as well but less common. The yamahas spin their compressor wheel slower so there is less clutch slippage with loading and unloading the pump. The Kawi is belt driven so more reliable. The Kawis have dominated offshore racing for a long time. Seadoo and Yamaha have been catching up. I currently own a 2008 Seadoo GTX 155 and 2017 Yamaha FX HO. GTX is an honest 55-56 with GPS and FXHO 61-62. 

NA HP

Seadoo 155

Kawi 160

Yamaha 180

best deal going is left over 2015-2016 Kawi STX-15F but relatively bare bones compared to the GTX and FX HO.

12 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

All makers have used marinized bike motors in the past. All the current NA 4-strokers are reliable. Early Seadoo 4tech motors had problems with valves with higher sodium content causing issues. Heavens knows Seadoo had tons of issues with ceramic s/c washers which they've since changed to metal. Yamaha SHO and SVHO have had issues with timing chains. Also failures with their washers as well but less common. The yamahas spin their compressor wheel slower so there is less clutch slippage with loading and unloading the pump. The Kawi is belt driven so more reliable. The Kawis have dominated offshore racing for a long time. Seadoo and Yamaha have been catching up. I currently own a 2008 Seadoo GTX 155 and 2017 Yamaha FX HO. GTX is an honest 55-56 with GPS and FXHO 61-62. 

NA HP

Seadoo 155

Kawi 160

Yamaha 180

best deal going is left over 2015-2016 Kawi STX-15F but relatively bare bones compared to the GTX and FX HO.

The early run of svho's seemed like they had an abnormal amount of chain issues...sho was not nearly as bad.  

On the top speed, my SHO is right at 67 on gps which is 70 on speedo but of course we all know that is governed as they all are.  It just stops accelerating but you have a good amount left to go that is unusable without going through the work of modding it.  The top speed is great but it's the unrelenting power from spin to spin that the SC does good.  If I could change one thing on the FX Sho, it would be to allow different levels of performance instead of only one level which is too low of a limit.  Top speed is 40 and it takes all day to get there with two on board.  Maybe top speed of 50 but don't limit the acceleration so much for the kids.  

6 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

The early run of svho's seemed like they had an abnormal amount of chain issues...sho was not nearly as bad.  

On the top speed, my SHO is right at 67 on gps which is 70 on speedo but of course we all know that is governed as they all are.  It just stops accelerating but you have a good amount left to go that is unusable without going through the work of modding it.  The top speed is great but it's the unrelenting power from spin to spin that the SC does good.  If I could change one thing on the FX Sho, it would be to allow different levels of performance instead of only one level which is too low of a limit.  Top speed is 40 and it takes all day to get there with two on board.  Maybe top speed of 50 but don't limit the acceleration so much for the kids.  

There are plug and play harnesses from Riva that remove the limiter. 

Now that I'm a single father with primary custody, I'm seriously thinking of giving up my Kawi ZX-14 and getting a new SVHO or Kawi 310R to compliment my FX HO later this summer. I just have a hard time letting go of my youth I guess and have always loved my bikes. Nothing like screaming down a long straightaway (on the track) at 150+ and then leaning it over to do it all over again. Had a 6R and contemplated a 10R but the big Zx-14 made a much more comfortable road set up (for a sport bike).

On 4/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, osteodoc08 said:

The best IMHO is the FX HO line from Yamaha. 

Absolutely agree. Had 2 of them, sold one to get the SVHO because I just wanted to.

There's a reason why 99% of rental's are Yamaha. Granted they are the VX (value) line, they easily make 700-1000 hours before a major rebuild is needed.
Our lake partners run 2005 Seadoo GTX supercharged and our NA Yamahas keep up and or beat them in races. 

To the OP, I bought a new 2014 SVHO last year for 12,000 out the door. There is wiggle room on every deal. When I bought the FXHOs I had to first walk from 10-15 sellers because of my inspections.  Deep hull scratches, cut wires, fiberglass patches, not run in salt but plenty of salt corrrosion on the engine mounts, etc etc. Take your time you'll find the right one.

As I'm still shopping, I'm noticing a complete lack of used sho's or fxsho's for sale this year from private parties locally.  It's actually kind of odd.  I'd like a 15 if possible for the RIDE system just to have it but would consider anything a few years old.  I'm sort of scratching my head why the crust of them didn't hit the market as in past years.  

5 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

As I'm still shopping, I'm noticing a complete lack of used sho's or fxsho's for sale this year from private parties locally.  It's actually kind of odd.  I'd like a 15 if possible for the RIDE system just to have it but would consider anything a few years old.  I'm sort of scratching my head why the crust of them didn't hit the market as in past years.  

There was quite a down turn in the PWC market. I think I read almost 50%. This could explain some of it. 

17 hours ago, osteodoc08 said:

There was quite a down turn in the PWC market. I think I read almost 50%. This could explain some of it. 

I thought the economy picked up and that that would show in the used market more now than before.  Maybe it is picking up and people don't need to sell?  I know there are certain years that the market did truly tank during the recession but I'm hoping to see some more 3 - 5 year old models still.  

Sales figures said PWC sales / registrations was up 8 %. Was the high point of boat sales in 2016. As people lose good jobs to all the imported H1b types. Used boat sales will drop off. Most of us have downsized years ago.

On 2/21/2017 at 0:39 PM, Big Fun said:

Have you checked Boat trader, Craig's list, local boat dealers and the internet?  I bought one of mine off of my neighbor who I asked how he liked his jet ski.  He said it was boring to ride alone and was going to sell it.   

You must buy in pairs! Totally agree it is not really fun alone. 

Buy two used ones for the same price or less than the cost of a new one. You will have 200% more fun 

i second the comment about staying away from supercharged. 

On 4/23/2017 at 7:31 AM, BoatingSam said:

You must buy in pairs! Totally agree it is not really fun alone. 

Buy two used ones for the same price or less than the cost of a new one. You will have 200% more fun 

i second the comment about staying away from supercharged. 

Having a hard time finding that second one this season but wouldn't touch a non-sc version of which there are few on the market that aren't old.  Supercharged is like 30% more fun for zero percent more maintenance if you get a Yamaha.  Can't imagine passing on 30% more fun with no additional work required.  But yes, stay away from SC so there are more available to buy.  Superchargers will implode and your summer will be ruined.