43 posts in this topic

My understanding on the maint costs of the SC are anything earlier than 2012 used ceramic components on the SC with the exception of Yami.  from 2012 - present all manufacturers switched to SS components and yes all the SC will require maint at some point but the frequency is much less now.  

For me, i want a PWC to go wakeboarding behind - 1st world problems - the wake behind my boat is too violent & too big for the kids - the PWC looks like a fun compromise - if i can find a used SeaDoo Wake series i will jump in.  i love the cruise and launch settings and the wake bar that model offers.  

1 hour ago, delaney said:

My understanding on the maint costs of the SC are anything earlier than 2012 used ceramic components on the SC with the exception of Yami.  from 2012 - present all manufacturers switched to SS components and yes all the SC will require maint at some point but the frequency is much less now.  

For me, i want a PWC to go wakeboarding behind - 1st world problems - the wake behind my boat is too violent & too big for the kids - the PWC looks like a fun compromise - if i can find a used SeaDoo Wake series i will jump in.  i love the cruise and launch settings and the wake bar that model offers.  

I believe it is zero maintenance on my Yamaha though the Sea Doo's have extended the hours at which time a required supercharger rebuild is necessary with the recent models....that's never needed on the Yamaha's.  Yamaha detunes their larger 4 cylinder engine and Sea Doo tunes up their 3 cylinder engines.  Everything you are describing though is the downside of the Yamaha's lesser technology platform.  You get cruise control but not the launch type settings on the Yamaha's.  

So  - last week i pulled the trigger and got a SeaDoo Wake 155 - after too many youtube searches and opinions of others on the lake about power, speed, cost, i went the lesser route.  I wanted a PWC that had pre-set ski settings so my kids and wife can drive me and others.  my main concern was power to pull me (6-2 220lbs) .  i was skeptical.  so my son set the launch setting to (5) the highest and it ripped the handle from my hands.  dropped it down to setting 4 and voila.  for those interested, it is so easy to use just set the top speed hit the set button and then floor it, it will launch at a pre-set speed and once on plane will maintain your speed.  155hp is more than i need for driver, spotter and me in tow.  max speed is said to be 56mph (more than enough)  we are breaking it in so full throttle is not recommended until 10 hrs.  best thing is SeaDoo is closed cooled so just blow out exhaust system in winter and fog the plugs and thats it.  no supercharger to rebuild but those that have them the service interval is now 300 hours.  that is quite a bit.  very glad we got this, now we take the boat to the beach anchor and we fly around on the pwc. in hard ski turns i can pull the back end a little bit but not enough to keep me from having fun.  wake size is obviously small but skiing behind my 327 and the 2' wake makes that impossible for a novice like me to have fun too.  

I have the same pwc.  It has been a fun addition.  I still have not figured out the ski modes.  As you said, it has plenty of power.  However the craft is light enough that a teenager carving turns on wakeboard can pull the ski.  It has been a great way to get people started on the wakeboard - then we progress to El Chap-0. 

Sounds like a good choice.  Does the 155 suggest the higher octane like the bigger Sea Doo's or is it recommended to run on 87 as all of the Yamaha's?  I'll add though, that winterizing my Yamaha as it is an open cooling system, is likely the same effort as a closed cooling system.  It's almost too easy and I'm always suspect that I did it correctly.  

Did you brand new or something used?  

18 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Sounds like a good choice.  Does the 155 suggest the higher octane like the bigger Sea Doo's or is it recommended to run on 87 as all of the Yamaha's?  I'll add though, that winterizing my Yamaha as it is an open cooling system, is likely the same effort as a closed cooling system.  It's almost too easy and I'm always suspect that I did it correctly.  

Did you brand new or something used?  

I held out looking all over the country for a used one.  i was willing to drive about 5-6 hours in any direction if a good one was located,  found a seadoo wake 215 for sale close to my lake.  went to visit and dealer was honest enough to say we would sell it to me but that its been in their shop more  than not and the previous owner dumped it on them as they thought is was just a lemon.  so went new which was also a factor in getting the 155 as they cost less but they are more then fast enough- especially in sport mode.  gas is just 87 octane listed but dealer thought mid grade was a "better" choice.  i bought a few 5 gallon double handled gas cans and i just fill them up on Friday and has been good for the weekend.  I find the ski mode pretty easy to use- just have to press the set button until you hear a double beep.  not perfect but a lot better then i could control by hand. 

Biggest pet peave on Yamaha is when you are filling it with gas cans, you cant tell when it is full and sometimes then you overfill and gas runs onto the machine itself.  Gas guage is not in view when filling, its on a lift anyway while i fill and the digital fuel guage moves two bars at a time. How do the sea doo's address this?  

54 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Biggest pet peave on Yamaha is when you are filling it with gas cans, you cant tell when it is full and sometimes then you overfill and gas runs onto the machine itself.  Gas guage is not in view when filling, its on a lift anyway while i fill and the digital fuel guage moves two bars at a time. How do the sea doo's address this?  

i would guess the same.  its a digital screen so you have to be in "ready" mode or engine on to see it.  first is not practical as ready mode will ]disappear after 30 seconds of inactivity and engine on is a no-no.  i fill it like my mower, i listen for the gas and try to stop it before it overfills.  I am running at about a 50% success rate on that but getting better :)

5 hours ago, delaney said:

i would guess the same.  its a digital screen so you have to be in "ready" mode or engine on to see it.  first is not practical as ready mode will ]disappear after 30 seconds of inactivity and engine on is a no-no.  i fill it like my mower, i listen for the gas and try to stop it before it overfills.  I am running at about a 50% success rate on that but getting better :)

When it's on the lift and the waves and wind are blowing, I can't really do the listen trick like I do with other stuff....then when the gas does overflow it is directed down and over one of the front bumpers which immediately discolors the bumper permanently.  

RJS 5 Gallon Gas Canthis is what i use, and stick the nozzle in about 1/2 way.  easier to control w/ 2 handles and nozzle is flexible so when i here the gas i just bend the nozzle to cut the flow and then remove.  like i said I started w/ a 50% success rate but working pretty well now.  i have 2 of these and easy to handle on the lift.  same issue w/ lift and water splashing but this works well.

For my Moto X bike I use a fuel container called "Tuff Jugs". It has a nozzle that stops dispensing fuel when the fuel level gets to the nozzle. It's nice because you really can't overfill it. It has a larger nozzle that may or may not fit in a boat, if it doesn't they make a different nozzle that is smaller and will work. Check them out, they are awesome. 

https://www.denniskirk.com/tuff-jug/5-gallon-gas-jug-approved-by-c-a-r-b-tj1r.p290014.prd/290014.sku

The adapter for smaller fillers is there too. 

On 7/22/2017 at 10:07 PM, Homegrown said:

Why would you need 8?  Don't the gas tanks hold 16-18 gallons?  

18.5 gallons...you must not own a supercharged PWC to ask this question but then you wouldn't comment on a pwc thread so I'm confused....ha ha.   Also the jugs mentioned above are only five gallons instead of 6 as my current cans are.  They use enormous amounts of gas if you are taking advantage of the power they offer and not just putzing around.  The hourly operating cost, if someone ever kept track, is very high but maintenance on Yamaha is nearly zero plus the boat hardly gets used by comparison.  

Got the PWC bug too. Should be a nice addition when wanting to go on lakes that my 2550 is a tad big for launching on smallish ramps.

Picking up a 2007 Kawasaki STX 12f (with a 15f engine) today. Has just over 100 hours (don't remember exact number) but has a bad crank (no blown out rods or pistons), confirmed when engine torn down. Picking up ski and trailer today for eight hundred deer. At that price, it's a no brainer. Has the upgraded 3 bearing pump with Solas wheel, aftermarket performance grate and ride plate. Should be a nice winter project, since engine is in "kit form" and hull is in great condition.

Owner's wife said, "get it out of the garage ASAP". Sooooooooo..

On 8/5/2017 at 3:44 AM, Pops said:

Got the PWC bug too. Should be a nice addition when wanting to go on lakes that my 2550 is a tad big for launching on smallish ramps.

Picking up a 2007 Kawasaki STX 14F today. Has just over 100 hours (don't remember exact number) but has a bad crank (no blown out rods or pistons), confirmed when engine torn down. Picking up ski and trailer today for eight hundred deer. At that price, it's a no brainer. Has the upgraded 3 bearing pump with Solas wheel, aftermarket performance grate and ride plate. Should be a nice winter project, since engine is in "kit form" and hull is in great condition.

Owner's wife said, "get it out of the garage ASAP". Sooooooooo..

The Kawai's are the bastards of the three manufacturers here.  They are dirt, dirt cheap just a couple years old compared to the other two.  They are good for big water but in MN we don't have any big water.  I have friends with Shore houses on the East Coast who like them though.  

I was 100% going to buy a second PWC this year and wouldn't you know it, my son turned 16 and now never wants to come with to the lake house.  Maybe if I see one late in the season that can be had for a deal, I might still go for it for next year.  

On 7/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, delaney said:

So  - last week i pulled the trigger and got a SeaDoo Wake 155 - after too many youtube searches and opinions of others on the lake about power, speed, cost, i went the lesser route.  I wanted a PWC that had pre-set ski settings so my kids and wife can drive me and others.  my main concern was power to pull me (6-2 220lbs) .  i was skeptical.  so my son set the launch setting to (5) the highest and it ripped the handle from my hands.  dropped it down to setting 4 and voila.  for those interested, it is so easy to use just set the top speed hit the set button and then floor it, it will launch at a pre-set speed and once on plane will maintain your speed.  155hp is more than i need for driver, spotter and me in tow.  max speed is said to be 56mph (more than enough)  we are breaking it in so full throttle is not recommended until 10 hrs.  best thing is SeaDoo is closed cooled so just blow out exhaust system in winter and fog the plugs and thats it.  no supercharger to rebuild but those that have them the service interval is now 300 hours.  that is quite a bit.  very glad we got this, now we take the boat to the beach anchor and we fly around on the pwc. in hard ski turns i can pull the back end a little bit but not enough to keep me from having fun.  wake size is obviously small but skiing behind my 327 and the 2' wake makes that impossible for a novice like me to have fun too.  

Hi Delaney I was following tis thread at the beginning of the summer. I was also looking at PWCs. I looked at yamaha and they only offered a 1 year warranty. Seed offered a 3 year warranty. I happened to be lucky enough and I bought a used 2017 Wakepro 230 with only 4 hours on it and a 5 year warranty that the original owner bought with it. It has been a great addition to our Chaparral. It is a rocket and is hard to hang on to at full speed when hitting the big waves. A lot of fun none the less!

that sounds like a great deal.  that 230 must be whip lashingly fast.  the 155 is more than fast enough for us - the 230 must be a blast.