Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psmorris

Alpha 1 oil

15 posts in this topic

I'm going to change my lower unit oil it the next few weeks. Which oil would you all recommend? I have a merc 4.5 alpha one with about 50 hrs. 

With your Alpha (I have as well) you need to use the Merc Quicksilver high perf outdrive oil.  I would not use anything else with this outdrive.  

I change the outdrive fluid every season regardless of hours (typically I put 50 - 75hrs on per season).  

You will need the pump that attaches to the bottle and screws into the drain hole at the bottom of the outdrive (you fill from the bottom UP).  I don't remember the capacity but I think its just over 2 bottles.  I always have a partial bottle left over that I then keep in the boat.  NOT unusual to need to top up the reservoir the first trip or 2 after a change.   

Definitely use the Merc high performance fluid.  Also check the old for milky color, being new you shouldn't have an issue but also good to check.  Like Indy said you fill from the bottom and pump it up.

merc or quicksilver gear lube It will say on the bottle for all outdrives . I made a pump out of a bug sprayer less mess and a little quicker

yep your take out both plugs top and bottom you can just empty the reservoir bottle in to a can . let the drive drain all the way out then pump from the bottom hole until it oozes out of the top vent hole then replace the top plug and keep pumping until the oil appears in the reservoir bottle . then put the bottom plug in and top off the reservoir bottle it will probably drop a little after you run or it sits that's just the air that got trapped working its way out .there are two small washers on plugs they should be replaced sometimes they stick in the hole you can get them out with a pick

On mine, also an Alpha One Gen 2 you pump into the drain plug on the very bottom until it comes out of the side plug on the upper gear case. Mine has a plug with a dipstick on the top of the upper gear case instead of the lube reservoir.

Our local Walmart has the pump and the correct gear lube at pretty good prices, might want to check yours.

Joe 

A good idea to also check the resevoir once the fluid drains out. A nasty goo tends to collect on the bottom. Remove and clean out. Brakleen tends to work well.

It's well worth the money to invest in a Mityvac pump, MV7400  I believe, and a home made gear oil pump with a gallon jug. You will save more than enough to cover the cost and it works well for many more things.

You can pick up the gear oil at Walmart. 

WalMart sells both the Merc/Quicksilver "Premium", and the Merc/Quicksilver High Performance lubes. Although the Premium will work in the Alpha, the High Performance is preferred.  Also, NEVER use the Merc Premium in a Bravo drive.   W

4 hours ago, vonshep said:

265 isn't horrible the oil filter oil and gear lube will run you close to 100

I would do it myself and make sure IT IS DONE RIGHT...    sorry but I see far to many times with friends and slip neighbors where the "marina" "tech" short cuts...  

I can do oil change AND gear lube change on my 5.7L Alpha in about 1hr.    

Although EVERY year I say I am going to install a remote oil filter....   (my boat is a 2001....   no remote oil filter...  my 48yr old back lets me know its displeasure every year...)  

I agree nobody takes care like you do I also do my own maintenance however not everybody in mechanically inclined