Sign in to follow this  
boatnfool4life

275 SSi 496 HO

Looking for a new to me used cuddy in the 27-30 ft range to be enjoyed on Lake Erie.  I have read this forum and others about the 275 SSi and newer SSX and 285 SSi.  I came across a used one pretty loaded with a merc 486 HO.  I found a pdf online from chaparral on the 275 SSI with the performance with the various engine combinations and was a little surprised to see the merc HO has a slower time to plane than the regular merc 496...at least in 2007.  Just wonder your thoughts on the better engine in the 275.  Also I have never had twin engines but thinking 285 is a good choice also...but I do like the 275 layout.

I have the 275 ssi. We love it! The 496 pushes it along just fine. They are hard too find,so if you found one and its clean, buy it quick! I have had people approach me and ask me if i was selling my boat. 

Thanks a lot for the feedback.  I am hoping to look at it this weekend.  It is about 3 hours away....seems like when I find one I like (aka really good online description) the boat is pretty far from my area and sells before I can get to it.

My last boat was a 2001 Cobalt 246 with the 7.4 VP.  Perfect for my family at the time for tubing and skiing.  Now just wife and I and we are looking for a cuddy to use on the few times we may stay on the boat for a night.  

The overall priority with any future boat is smooth ride on a choppy Lake Erie.  The Cobalt did a pretty good job with that (and was awesome compared to the 19' boat the Cobalt replaced) but looking for something a little longer and wider.

The 275 layout seems well suited for what we do most...ride around a little but anchor with other boats most of the day.

I can't speak to the 275 but we sure love our 285!

The used market is really tough if you've narrowed in on a specific model.  We had ours shipped up to Minnesota from NC.