lukelane

2000 216 ssi shift issue

Newbie here.  I bought a 2000 216 ssi last summer.  it had 229 hours on it and was immaculate.  The only issue I have noticed is that neutral is hard to get to.  By that I mean I have to go past neutral into reverse and then bump it to neutral.  It really makes docking a pain.  When I had it winterized, (Michigan) the mechanic said the cable was too stretched and needed replaced.  So I have 2 questions, Is he talking about throttle cable, shift cable or both? And if one and not the other, does it make sense to replace them all anyway? It seemed pretty pricey for a cable replacement. (yes I know what boat stands for)  I am pretty handy and have several friends who work on their own boats.  So if anyone out there has experienced this or a similar issue I'd love to hear from you and get some feedback as to what might be going on.

Luke

11 hours ago, lukelane said:

Newbie here.  I bought a 2000 216 ssi last summer.  it had 229 hours on it and was immaculate.  The only issue I have noticed is that neutral is hard to get to.  By that I mean I have to go past neutral into reverse and then bump it to neutral.  It really makes docking a pain.  When I had it winterized, (Michigan) the mechanic said the cable was too stretched and needed replaced.  So I have 2 questions, Is he talking about throttle cable, shift cable or both? And if one and not the other, does it make sense to replace them all anyway? It seemed pretty pricey for a cable replacement. (yes I know what boat stands for)  I am pretty handy and have several friends who work on their own boats.  So if anyone out there has experienced this or a similar issue I'd love to hear from you and get some feedback as to what might be going on.

Luke

Typically your problem is caused by the rear shift cable that connects the out drive shifter fork to the shift transfer lever affixed to the top of the engine. Front shift cables seldom fail, and the throttle cable you speak of is a separate item. Pretty straight forward replacement but final adjustment can be a pain. While the out drive is off, it is a really good idea to check the driveshaft bellows, engine alignment, u-joints, gimbel bearing, shift cable bellows (I'm assuming you have a Gen II Merc Alpha drive) and replace the raw water pump impeller. Lube the coupler spine with the proper EP lubricant also.  W

+1 Wingnut,  prob the original rear shift cable and after 16yrs it needs to be replaced.  

Also let me know if you have other questions on your 2000 216.   I have a 2001.  (original owner)

EA70B2F6-4A81-4C2E-99FA-264786B008A7_zps

Having trouble shifting out of neutral. Cable looks good and shifted okay two days before.

16 minutes ago, TimA said:

Having trouble shifting out of neutral. Cable looks good and shifted okay two days before.

Which cable did you inspect? There are 2.  W