Mxracer3276

Length of time to build a new boat?

Good morning all,

My first post here on this forum!

We order a 2017 Sunesta 264 on Feb 23rd, and they time frame they are giving us for delivery is end of April to mid May.

Just wondering from anybody's past experience with ordering a boat, does this seem about right?

Thanks for any and all help.

Matt

Obviously it depends on the time of year. Mine took 4 months in 2008 so in my case if you see yours before Memorial Day weekend, them things are good in Matt's World.

Yes. Yours isn't the only one being built. Plus you ordered it right at boat show time. It'll be worth the wait. That's actually pretty quick. We ordered ours last year the first week in January and took it mid April. 

I special ordered my 264 in end of Feb 2015 and took water delivery on May 1st. I also visited the factory to watch mine go down the line. Once they start on your boat end to end production is about 5 to 6 weeks. 

Yep that is about right, also I found out that even if the boat is done being built that does not mean they put it on a truck and away it goes.  They try to fully load a truck to similar destinations/area before it ships.

When it does arrive, don't be in a hurry to drag it home. Take your time and if she is not right, get her right then and there. So much easier to get a dealers attention when the boat is taking up space at their facility, and you still have the final payment in your pocket.   W

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

When it does arrive, don't be in a hurry to drag it home. Take your time and if she is not right, get her right then and there. So much easier to get a dealers attention when the boat is taking up space at their facility, and you still have the final payment in your pocket.   W

YUP, what he said . . . ^^^^

I worked in a deal that I was able to see the boat pre delivery.  The service department took their time with me and we did a complete inspection.  They wrote every detail down that I found and had it fix by delivery.  It made the delivery that more exciting especially knowing it was coming home.  Service like that is everything in making the new boat purchase experience positive.

Use to be that a HUGE  dealer had priority in time slotting of the production. a Nasty Pain in the azzz would wait forever.

Good luck. Mine was November 2001 to April 2002

Thanks for the responses guys.

I definitely understand mine isn't the only one being built, more just out of curiosity than rushing it!

Just super excited to get out on the water!!

That's pretty awesome that you got to visit the factory to see it go down the line, I definitely wish that was an option!

18 hours ago, psmorris said:

Yes. Yours isn't the only one being built. Plus you ordered it right at boat show time. It'll be worth the wait. That's actually pretty quick. We ordered ours last year the first week in January and took it mid April. 

How big is your boat hooked up to the Tacoma, that's my exact truck and was wonder how it would tow the 264??

12 minutes ago, Mxracer3276 said:

How big is your boat hooked up to the Tacoma, that's my exact truck and was wonder how it would tow the 264??

We've been though this in another thread. My boat is a 21' H20. I just pulled it 25 miles to get some service work done and on my way I was thinking i'm glad I didn't have anything bigger or heavier. A 264 is almost twice my boat. If the taco is all you have it might be time to go truck shopping. Sorry 

19 minutes ago, Mxracer3276 said:

don't even try to tow the 264 with a Tacoma!!  Way over the capacity of that truck.  

37 minutes ago, Mxracer3276 said:

See its a great community here for a newbie

Sorry. Go to the boat talk page and you will see the thread. It has 66 replies on your same issue. But I know 1 thing for sure, the taco won't tow that 264 sunesta. It's just too heavy. Even if you got it to the ramp and in the water getting it back out is going to be a huge issue. My taco just pulls out my h20 but dry weight is only 3100 lbs. Yours is double that. It is a big beautiful boat. 

1 minute ago, psmorris said:

Sorry. Go to the boat talk page and you will see the thread. It has 66 replies on your same issue. But I know 1 thing for sure, the taco won't tow that 264 sunesta. It's just too heavy. Even if you got it to the ramp and in the water getting it back out is going to be a huge issue. My taco just pulls out my h20 but dry weight is only 3100 lbs. Yours is double that. It is a big beautiful boat. 

I was honestly nervous to post in the boat talk page due to answers like the ones I got here which is why I thought id be ok in the "newbie" section. I guess ill do more reading than posting.

I only need to put it in one a season and take it out once a season. I'll borrow a friends dually.

Thanks

to give you some perspective, when I picked up my new 256, (which is pretty much the same size as the 264), I had a Silverado 1500.  I remember almost crapping my pants when I saw the 256 on the trailer the 1st time.  It looked huge!  And my 1500 DID NOT like pulling the boat.  Which is why I now have a 3/4 ton.  I also recall back in the day when I had an 18 footer and I pulled it with an S10 Pick up.  It pulled fine but stopping was another story.  I roasted my brakes many times.

11 minutes ago, Mxracer3276 said:

I was honestly nervous to post in the boat talk page due to answers like the ones I got here which is why I thought id be ok in the "newbie" section. I guess ill do more reading than posting.

I only need to put it in one a season and take it out once a season. I'll borrow a friends dually.

Thanks

No, don't do that. These guys here know a lot are free help. I think the other thread about the other taco just ran a little long. The dually is the answer. No sense putting you or your family or anyone else's family in harms way. That boat could overtake that truck in no time. 

1 hour ago, Mxracer3276 said:

God sorry for asking a question

Its all good, there is a lot of fun poking going on and no one takes it serious. Great bunch of guys without any judgment. there is no bad questions.

We're towing our 244 with a 385hp Toyota Sequoia and it's maxed out.  Handles great but hills can be an exercise in patience -- for those caught behind us! :)