phills fan

3rd Annual Upper Chesapeake Raft-Up

14 posts in this topic

Yes, after doing this twice it's happening again. Save the date  7/22/2017 

This year kindhearted Chap boaters have donated raft-up prizes.

1st prize- Meet and greet with Wingnut. You can ask him two questions (maybe three if you bring Yuengling), one focusing on boating, and one of your choice. A special Wingnut raft-up selfie.

2nd prize-  Stand up or sit down ride on WhatNext's paddle board (with commemorative photo), also a very special selfie with Julie.

3rd prize-  Cigar smoking session with Todddavid, including his signature sausage sandwich.

Hope many Chaparral folks can join.

Now I'm inspired. Maybe it's time for some crabs on the beach.  

Ha! The prizes alone are worth the trip. I'm glad it's that weekend the previous weekend we have a wedding in Rhode Island (not taking the boat to that one).

Looking to bring some friends along for a long weekend on the beautiful Chesapeake.

Looking forward to the raft up.

Kondrad family is in !    My wife enjoyed the test drive on the stand up blowup paddleboard. It was great meeting everyone.   And I am clearing space on my family room wall for the Wingnut prize! 

Black, 2007, 256 SSI

I'd love to try to join of these, but I'm only out that way (lower Chesapeake) the week of the 4th usually.  My parents have a place on the Piankatank River.

The Raft-Up continues to grow and last year 2 "Chap Extras" were in the cove and when I approached them and said our group was on the opposite shore, they both said that they were unaware of the raft-up, and neither had ever been on the forum. They joined the mayhem, and the rest is history. If you are not familiar with the Upper Chesapeake Bay, Still Pond is centrally located and is a good jumping off point for extended stay visits to Baltimore Inner Harbor, Kent Narrows, Saint Michaela, Annapolis, Georgetown, Rock Hall, Harve de Grace, Chesapeake City, Northeast, Middle River, and even Chestertown. There is a ton of history here, and if you wish to tour the bay either before or after the Raft-Up, then I can recommend hotels, bed and breakfasts, entertainment, live music, the best marinas, great restaurants, and here at Still Pond we have the best hard sand bottom fresh water beach on the entire bay, IMHO. I've been coming here since 1973, and have lived here since 2003, and this side of the bay remains both remote and unspoiled. Should you wish to do an extended stay on the Upper Bay, act soon as marina reservations at key locations are a must. If you have traveled a distance, and were to suffer a mechanical break-down then you can rest assured that we will get your ride and your crew to safe harbor as we know where the repair parts are hiding. As they say, come early, stay late. W

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/1fd39117-0ff9-4a70-a065-a3a934b986bb_zpsrhqgwzux.png.html   

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/fd026f5e-048e-46d8-b20c-71ca64ca7972_zpspudr6tnj.jpg.html

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/ChurnCreek.mp4.html

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/StillPondCreek.mp4.html

It's not looking good for Julie and I. It's a long trip and we were hoping to spend a few extra days in Baltimore/Annapolis but might not get the time. Bummer!

2 hours ago, WhatNext said:

It's not looking good for Julie and I. It's a long trip and we were hoping to spend a few extra days in Baltimore/Annapolis but might not get the time. Bummer!

It's all about priorities.  QUIT YOUR JOBS...    Wow, do we have to tell you everything?

Frank and Karen are planning on attending. I've also let a few other Chaparral owners know. Be warned however that Still Pond gets very crowded,  driven by its very nice location and great sandy bottom.   I'm aiming to be in the way in back right corner ( I mean starboard side when you enter)  like last year near the sandy beach  Portside is also very crowded  as people anchor up on a sandbar .    We look forward to seeing whoever can come, including Wingnut! 

10 hours ago, Frank K said:

Frank and Karen are planning on attending. I've also let a few other Chaparral owners know. Be warned however that Still Pond gets very crowded,  driven by its very nice location and great sandy bottom.   I'm aiming to be in the way in back right corner ( I mean starboard side when you enter)  like last year near the sandy beach  Portside is also very crowded  as people anchor up on a sandbar .    We look forward to seeing whoever can come, including Wingnut! 

Too far starboard is lined with sea grass as summer has been warm, early. It's all good as we will find a spot just remember deep water is the 2/3's to starboard, as the sand bar occupies the port side 1/3. There is a new Chap dealer in Galena and I will make a flyer for him to post. Also a mention on the Chap Facebook page, and if anyone has a connection to the dealer on South River, south of Annapolis, please reach out. Not looking for dealer sponsorship or participation, just informing their customer base.  Looking forward to getting together once again as this thing of ours continues to grow.  W

On 7/21/2017 at 0:28 PM, Wingnut said:

It's all about priorities.  QUIT YOUR JOBS...    Wow, do we have to tell you everything?

The advice I've been waiting for! Finally. Now I'll just need that house on the water somewhere on the Chesapeake. 

2 hours ago, WhatNext said:

The advice I've been waiting for! Finally. Now I'll just need that house on the water somewhere on the Chesapeake. 

That's only for the select few.