Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Eckman

Wakeboard

16 posts in this topic

Hi all, I purchased a 256 ssi in December. Can't wait to get on the water and see how she does. Curious if anybody has much experience wakeboarding without a tower. My boat doesn't have a tower. I've looked at aftermarket add-ons but they're either 7,800 completed (Samson blade) or unsturdy reviews ...(the rest). This isn't my first boat, but it's definitely the nicest. I should mention I've never wakeboarded as well. Tower or no tower. Thanks for any input. I'm thinking I'll try it out and if it's something the family and I enjoy, maybe I'll splurge for a tower later on. Also if anybody can give some friendly advice on a forward swoop tower that they've installed that'd be great!!

I don't have any problems with mine. Key is to install it properly and maintain it regularly. Make sure the hardware is properly torqued and recheck it often. None are maintenance free.

We have wakeboards, kneeboards, skis, air foil, and several tubes.

Wakeboarding is difficult for me.  I prefer kneeboarding.  However, it does tend to beat the crap out of my ankles after a while.  With kneeboarding I just can't seem to get the upward lift I need to stand at 6'3".  That is off the tow eye. 

I just had a tower installed and am excited to see if it makes the difference everyone tells me it does.

I will say one thing, the tower has completely changed the looks of my boat.  I know it isn't for everyone.  Samson makes a great product!

Wakeboarding without a tower is no problem.  Did it for years, even jumping wake-to-wake.  My advice is to get a good quality wakeboard, nothing cheap.  If you guys decide you really like it, then you can consider the expense of a tower.  Finding somewhere to stow a wakeboard with bindings on it can be a challenge!

We added our tower a couple of years after purchasing the boat.  We went with New Dimension Towers in Maryville, TN.  I certainly recommend them.

Have fun and enjoy your new boat.  Post a pic of it!

1 hour ago, Mi3sons said:

I don't have any problems with mine. Key is to install it properly and maintain it regularly. Make sure the hardware is properly torqued and recheck it often. None are maintenance free.

Which one did you install?

2 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Wakeboarding without a tower is no problem.  Did it for years, even jumping wake-to-wake.  My advice is to get a good quality wakeboard, nothing cheap.  If you guys decide you really like it, then you can consider the expense of a tower.  Finding somewhere to stow a wakeboard with bindings on it can be a challenge!

We added our tower a couple of years after purchasing the boat.  We went with New Dimension Towers in Maryville, TN.  I certainly recommend them.

Have fun and enjoy your new boat.  Post a pic of it!

From what I recall ndt does not have forward swept towers correct?

I was hoping to hear that it can be enjoyed even without a tower. The thought of stowing the boards has crossed my mind and it's seems eventually a tower would serve well for that if nothing else. Also the sound system. I'd like to lift the music up out of the boat for days at the swim holes too.  Thanks futzin'

No sweat.  Sliding around on a wakeboard at 18-20 mph is mucho fun (just don't dip the front edge!).  After you get the hang of it, remove the fins for some surface spins!

I have a 2013 19 H2O Sport with the 220hp engine and no tower.  Once you teach the misses to drive the boat, wakeboarding behind it off the tow eye is no problem.  I enjoy ripping back and forth across the wake and don't do too much big air jumps.  As the kids get older, we may invest in a tower but for now the setup works great for everything we like doing.  The wakeboard with bindings fits in the center ski locker with no issues.

I'm not a fan of the towers and we use the eye for all of our water sports including wake, knee, ski, tube.  The obvious issue is the rope versus the prop.  Last year the rope got caught in between the drive and the hull given the drive was tilted up a little and I struggled to get it out as we were getting blown into shore.  

Plenty of fun without a tower...  however once you get more than 1-2 boards "in" the boat... tripping over boards and stubbing your toes on boards sux...  

Cumberlandjump.jpg

We love our factory tower on the 244 -- tunes, great shade, wakeboard holder, wakesurf board holder, front/rear LED lights (BRIGHT), occasional clothes line (drying towels, lifevests, etc.) and, oh yeah, rope attachment point.