Sign in to follow this  
Pigeon

Hours meter

I bought a 255 last year and the 4 in 1 gauge was recently replaced (which includes the hours).

Dose anyone know how the hours transfer from the old gauge, would it start from zero, automatically transfer from computer, or would the installer be able to manually manipulate hours to match the old gauge?

1 hour ago, Toddler said:

No, it will start from zero, you'll just have to add the hours from the old one.

Yes, that's how it works.  Our port side hour meter does't and haven't worked and haven't contemplated fixing/replacing it.  There is actually is a difference on the hours between engines recorded during the survey.  For maintenace purposes, I track hours usage using the starboard hour guage and figure I will get a reading  on port side when service is needed as a true up.  Basically, both engines run the same amount of time give or take minutes.

When my hour meter went south, I took the new one, connected a small, wall plug in 12 VDC power supply to it and let it sit on the bench running till the number matched the old one that failed and then installed the new one. New meter now shows very close to actual hours, instead of adding old to new to get result.

2 hours ago, Pops said:

When my hour meter went south, I took the new one, connected a small, wall plug in 12 VDC power supply to it and let it sit on the bench running till the number matched the old one that failed and then installed the new one. New meter now shows very close to actual hours, instead of adding old to new to get result.

The Reverse Bueller.  

Man that could be bad news, so you do I get a reading of how many hours are actually on my boat?

It was installed by a dealer last year, I assume they would have ran the hours up on it to be what is was supposed to be. Me - I would've knocked a few off lol.

11 hours ago, Pigeon said:

Man that could be bad news, so you do I get a reading of how many hours are actually on my boat?

It was installed by a dealer last year, I assume they would have ran the hours up on it to be what is was supposed to be. Me - I would've knocked a few off lol.

What year and engine brand is your 255?

I had to replace my tach a couple years back, and my hour meter was in the tach.  The new one had zero hours.  Every time I get some service work done my shop reads the computer on the engine (Mercury) and prints the hours out on the invoice.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:39 PM, Pigeon said:

The dash display is a stand alone hour meter which is part of the digital gauge package. It's a simple owner/operator convenience. Beyond that, your master record is stored back in the engine mounted ECM's histogram which is only accessible utilizing a marine scan tool or PC based maintenance software. Beyond total hours, it will also store alarm history, and how many hours the engine was run at WOT which is nice information to have. The hours here cannot be re-set, and would only go to zero if you replaced the ECM.   W

How do you think I could get the hours off it? They're are no chaparral dealers near me, do you think an average boat mechanic would have that type of tool?  Anyway I could get it myself?

8 hours ago, Pigeon said:

How do you think I could get the hours off it? They're are no chaparral dealers near me, do you think an average boat mechanic would have that type of tool?  Anyway I could get it myself?

Having the tool has many advantages as it allows you to track down failed sensors, weak raw water pump, intermittent engine alarms, and once you learn how to use it you will become the hero of your boating community. Perhaps you and your boating buddies could share the costs, as it pays for itself the first time you use it. If you buy the Merc tool it will work on Volvo also, but not the other way around. You will need both the scan tool and the patch cable for your particular ECM. These are marine specific devices and are the only way to access the ECM histogram. The Tech Mate Pro would be my choice.   Per links below.  W

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm