quite a few add'l benefits;  

1. if you tow a skier they can change the wake shape a bit

2. great for lower speed plane

3. balancing on board loads that would cause the boat to list

4. in choppy waters - trimming can help with ride comfort

agreed - tabs just give another option - keeping the drive down while choppy helps the porpoising problem and tabs can ad additional control and while pulling a skier i would doubt you would ever trim the drive up as you lose pulling and planing power - if you are debating if you need them i would say that depends on the size of your boat.  25' and smaller it would be totally an option that adds benefits above 25' i would suggest they are important for standard performance - within the Chap product lineup

20 minutes ago, bill321 said:

Thanks Delaney, for the balancing port and starboard I can understand but your other reasons could be done by trimming the drive in or out some, no? 

You can use drive to trim your boat longitudaly, but then a part of drive power is used to lift boat's stern instead of just moving the boat forward. Nothing wrong with that but there is a better way if you have the trim tabs ...

Instead use trim tabs to balance the boat not only sideways but also bow and stern. Then, trim the drive for maximum force forward ... the prop shaft will be pararell to boat motion, and prop thrust will push boat forward, instead of forward and up.

Don't know what size boat you have Bill.  But on our previous 196, trimming down still would not provide enough downforce to keep the boat from porpoising.  Crossing the wake from another boat was pretty bad too.  The tabs changed that along with the fact I could get on plane 5 mph lower allowing me to be on plane at 12 mph which was essential for watersports.

tabs make the boat feel like another 3' in rough water.  I would never buy a boat without them again.  My main uses:

• rebalance the boat for more people sitting on the Port side.
  • much dryer ride and balance the boat again when running horizontal with the wind.
  • lower the bow in rough water (worth the price right there)

What piques my curiosity is I have a 2750sx with twins and trying to find the room they say it takes for the correct trim tab seems to be not happening. I would have to settle for much smaller tabs. How do you get around that seeing as there is not enough room on the transom for what a sizing chart calls for? And having to go with so much smaller of a tab to get them is it even worth it?

4 hours ago, Auggie said:

What piques my curiosity is I have a 2750sx with twins and trying to find the room they say it takes for the correct trim tab seems to be not happening. I would have to settle for much smaller tabs. How do you get around that seeing as there is not enough room on the transom for what a sizing chart calls for? And having to go with so much smaller of a tab to get them is it even worth it?

Not sure what brand of tabs, what chart, and what size of tabs you are referring to ... the details do matter ... but FWIW ...

My boat in water hull is 27', and LOA is 29', loaded weight in water around 8500-9000 lbs and it has Lenco's standard 12x12" tabs. They are quite effective despite being on a smaller side even with a big block and three oversized AGM batteries weighting the stern. According to Lenco's charts, the 12x12" tabs are for the boats up to 30 feet.

I installed dual piston 12 x 16" Bennett sport tabs on my 2550 SX (got them in a super cheap deal). Due to the platform support on the stern, had to move them inboard a little, but those larger, slower operating 12 x 16's, added to the drive trim, make the correction options almost limitless in any sea / load condition and allowed being on plane at a very low speeds. Virtually eliminated all bow wander at low speed, too.

I would say the single best modification done on my boat.

Auggie, your 2750 SX is awesome, but the dual drives do present some challenges in mounting tabs on her.