9 posts in this topic

Hi, newbie here.  Just purchased my first boat, a 2017 21 H2O Ski & Fish OB.  We went with the 150HP Yamaha.  Supposed to be ready before Memorial weekend (I hope!).  It comes with a stainless steel prop.  We'll be using the boat to pull tubers/skiers, fishing, & general cruising with the family.  It will be used at our cottage on an inland lake, which has a rocky bottom.  Wondering if a switch to an aluminium prop would be a good idea?  I realize I may be sacrificing some performance, but if I run the bottom, I'd rather ruin a prop than the whole motor...  

What do you guys think??

Appreciate the advise, & can't wait for it to warm up here (Michigan)!!

I guess its not a bad idea.  Just don't hit anything, and then its not an issueB).  Also with an OB you have the ability to trim it way up if needed. 

BTW I think that would make you the first person on here with an H2O OB.

Good luck with the wait.

Thx for the reply.  And I think your right - I've been reading through the forums since we started down the path to owning a Chap, & I don't see many OB threads.  I think going with an OB was the right choice for us, considering the lake it'll be used in.

I switched out the stock Volvo 3 blade 19" pitch on my '09 196 SSi with Volvo 4.3L GXi to a Turning Point aluminum 4 blade. I'm glad I did as I ended up dinging the prop on a rock after the switch.It is much cheaper to replace an aluminum $100 prop than the $300-400 stainless. The switch also got me to the higher end of my RPM range and only sacrificed a couple MPH. It tows a tube better than the 3 blade which is more of a cruising prop.

Great info, thx for sharing.  Try as I might, I KNOW I'm going to nail the bottom at some point, & unfortunately the rocks are always going to win...

I've read a lot on 3 blade vs 4 blade props.  For pulling tubers/skiers, it may end up being what I replace the stock stainless steel prop with.

Many years ago Mercruiser ran  DESTRUCTIVE  TESTS on the damage to the sterndrives when using a Aluminum or S S prop.   Same everything to nail down what the difference would be.

Sadly they said it made no difference to the sterndrive being damaged.  The were striking a submedged concrete wall edge. Different speeds. They said pick what you like most & enjoy it until a good prop strike occurs.

Turning Point does make a great aluminum prop.  I had one on my old outboard fishing boat and it out performed any other prop I tried, even the ss props.  (Had better hole shot with only 1-2 mph slower top end)  I would not run a ss up north around the rocks, the aluminum is softer and more forgiving on a lower unit.  Talk to any prop shop up north and they usually recommend aluminum unless you know the area very well. 

If you are at planning speeds ?  

PUTT  PUTTing is a different story. Dinged / bent. Very possible with non noticeable damage.