How does 225 SSi handle in Gulf waters?

I am planning on buying a 225 SSi. This boat is 22' 6" in length, 8' 6" beam, and freeboard is: Bow = 2.99'   Midship = 3.74'   Stern = 1.44'

With equipment, people, and fuel, boat will weigh little over 4,800#. Will have Volvo Penta 240HP DP propulsion.

Ideas or comments welcome.

Mostly boat will be in inland coastal waters, but on calm days I'll want to take her out into the Gulf where on a typical day I expect to see 2' to 3' seas. Just cruising - no crazy high speed stuff.

Think this will be a safe boat if I keep with few miles of land?

Thanks,  Joe

I've no experience on blue water, so can't help ya there.  In addition to a stronger engine, I would recommend you look into putting trim tabs on that boat.  With a cuddy, most of your weight will be with the passengers in the cockpit area; no one riding up front as with a bowrider.  Will take longer to plane, the planing speed will be higher, and she'll tend to ride bow high.

Post a pic when you get her!

Oops, I replied on my 'smartphone' but it apparently didn't go through. I'll try again from computer.

Good insights and ideas on the trim tabs. In choppy open water I will want to get that bow down so will need trim tabs. Thanks for that insight.

Are these SSi and SSx boats designed for protected waters?  I am still concerned about that 1.5 ft freeboard at stern in choppy waters (1' to 2'). Also, any following waves coming in to port could overwash the stern as the transom is not closed.

I like the Robalo boats which seem better suited for open water, but my wife the Admiral doesn't "like the way they look."  Not as many creature comforts.

She is also used to our last boat which was designed for blue water sailing with around the world capabilities. I remind her this next boat will be a little scooter compared to our IP38.

Meanwhile, I really like the looks of the Chaparral boats and especially the 225 SSi.

Thanks again for your ideas,   /Joe

The Robalo, Boston Whaler and Grady White would be perfect for blue water.  However most of them are walk around's with the exception of the Robalo open bow.  

I like Everglades cabin model boats.  Unfortunately the smallest one they make is 32 feet and is way to wide for towing. 

Back to your question, a 22 foot might be a bit on the smaller side.  Are you able to consider the 24 or 26 foot size range?

I boated between Pensacola and Destin for 3 years. The toughest part about taking her into the Gulf will be getting through the passes. I'm not sure how the passes are down in Orange Beach, but the can get dicey depending on the tide stage and sea state. I took my 220SSI out fairly regularly. As long as the chop is within your comfort zone you're fine. The bigger and heavier the boat, the more comfortable the ride will be, but our 220 is fine for the gulf. Compared to other large bodies, the Gulf is fairly sedate anyway.

Not an ideal boat for the Gulf. Calm days, should be okay. Get caught in some bigger waves, you will not enjoy it.

CC, DC would be a better choice, if you can live without the sweatbox (cuddy cabin) that it will be in Florida.

2 hours ago, brick said:

Can you swim?

A calm day can turn nasty quickly  "I think you're gonna need a bigger boat..."

brick

mehh know your equipment and know your water.  fished in a 23ft trophy for years in the gulf, knew the location knew the boat etc.  Now if your wanting to go out well beyond visual of land, than I would agree with you

Doc

My 186 with no extended rear swim platform was 8' 6" wide. Bow rider. 5.0L carb.  220 hp  had a SEVER problem with the go fast prop & 6 + 200# seniors in a 3'  chop & the wind going rapidly past 40 mph. I could NOT GET ON PLANE.  The prop simply started to slip completely. So I was a fast tugboat in a storm. About 30 minutes to go 2 miles into a chop that reached 4' with 6" of white cap on top.   I weighed about 5200# with the 6 people.  Knew I had to change prop at that point.  I was in the protected area of the Saint Lawrence River between New York & Canada. It was a sunny day. With high winds of about 1 hour & 15 minutes.

The gulf ?  Just guessing. But get SOLID weather reports 1 hour BEFORE deciding on a open water gulf trip. Any possibility of a FRONT moving thru ??   Cancel the open gulf trip without any hesitation. Do the smaller river stuff...............The 305 C I   V 8  IS NOT TOO much engine in windy & sudden high waves. 

Edit

I quickly changed to a super grippy 4 bladed prop of S S.  It will accelerate fast enough to cause a forced, slight exhale, as it pushes you forceably into the seats.

Remember about being extremely lucky out on the water.  If a freighter passes in front of you a mile or more? It can send a HELLUVA  big wake set of waves at you. Had that happen water came up the windshield and stopped 6" from the top.............. Freighters, Cruisers, Cruise ships Will send out huge waves. Everybody into life vests & pray.

If you are in about 15 of water the pressure wave from a big ship looks small in deep water. As it reaches shallower water. The SUNAMI EFFECT starts. My freighter looked harmless . Until the pressure wave reached the shallow water slope then is grew up instantly to 6' in about 3 waves. My bow was almost straight down & the prop was spinning in air.  The engine Rev Limiter saved the engine. I sure as heck panicked on that wave.

We used our 2002 235 ssi often in the gulf, like mentioned before the inlets can get choppy, and on the way out if it doesn't look good stay on the inside. We always have land in sight and adjust our cruising speed accordingly. Haven't been in a position to feel uncomfortable yet. Keep a watch for large ships going past, if anchored I would weigh it and point my bow toward the wake. We have a 230 suncoast now and are in the Gulf often, when it's comfortable, plenty of water on the inside if it's not. 

Enjoy, Bill

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. As a result,  we are looking now at a bigger boat. The 246 SSi.

The 246 weighs in at 5800 pounds loaded, is 24 ft with 8 1/2 beam,  higher freeboard, and will have a VP 280 hp with DP. That should easily handle calm days on the Gulf.

I wanted a Rabolo R247 because of Yamaha 300 digital and also 24', 8.5' beam,  and little heavier, but dealer told me Rabolo has set prices and dealer cannot negotiate price to customer. Part of their Reel Deal pricing. Humph. They can bargain on most of the Chaparral line. 

I really appreciate all the insights and advice. Thank you all. Joe

Yup. For about 30,000 reasons.  That's the price differential. And the two boats were close in comparatives. Plus the admiral prefers the Chap over the Rabalo. Lots of variables to weigh. 

Edited by docdixon
Typo
11 hours ago, docdixon said:

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. As a result,  we are looking now at a bigger boat. The 246 SSi.

The 246 weighs in at 5800 pounds loaded, is 24 ft with 8 1/2 beam,  higher freeboard, and will have a VP 280 hp with DP. That should easily handle calm days on the Gulf.

I wanted a Rabolo R247 because of Yamaha 300 digital and also 24', 8.5' beam,  and little heavier, but dealer told me Rabolo has set prices and dealer cannot negotiate price to customer. Part of their Reel Deal pricing. Humph. They can bargain on most of the Chaparral line. 

I really appreciate all the insights and advice. Thank you all. Joe

Remember too, that open bow boats do not do well in open waters. They can get swamped by one good wave. With any boat, I would put in an extra bilge pump and install a fixed mount VHF and GPS.  

Yup.  Good points. All my boats have Marine VHS radios and GPS. As to open bow I'll use cover with mission support and only cruise outside of protected waters on calm sunny days. We have Condo overlooking Perdido Pass and on these calm days I see all kinds of small craft venturing out. Been boating all my life and don't take silly risks. Last boat was a blue water IP38. I'd rather now have a Sig270 but cost prohibitive at this point. Thanks again. Joe

I'm not sure of the other models but the Sun Coast series have two large overboard scuppers in the back of the deck that would do a good job of handling any water in the unlikely occurrence of a wave coming over the bow. No need to fret about it, if it looks sketchy out beond the inlet stay inside. Almost any time you add weight and length to a boat the ride gets better. You will get chop in the inlets and swell's in the Gulf.....If we see white caps we turn around and stay inside.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, crvtt771 said:

So you're not going to buy the boat you want and need just to get a better deal?  I'd guess the Robalo will have better resale in your area compared to the Chaparral. 

Isnt most things we buy based off budget?  We may have needs and wants, but budget doesn't work for those needs and wants, so you then adjust your needs and wants to fit your budget.