How does 225 SSi handle in Gulf waters?

Try to look at the inlet waves with different wind directions & tide running in or out with winds.   Might convince you of getting    INSIDE     before your a stuck out side the inlet boat.  PLEASE do not run a inlet with other boats going in & out with you.  Bigger & faster boats  DO  DO  fill small boats. They simply like doing that.  Criminal.   But does not help the smaller boat filled with water.

We have had to shift into reverse & BACK out at maximum speed with a tug & work barge coming out. He had no choice. We had none either. FEAR.   PURE FEAR.

We rented a 19 ft. Mako dual console one year in Destin. Tooled around the bay for most of the day and ventured out into The Gulf for a little bit. Calm day, seas were under 2 ft. We didn't venture out too far, less than a mile, just off of the beach. We saw alot of similar boats out there that day, 18 to 20 ft. open bows, no one had a problem. If you're staying close to shore and you are aware of the weather and sea conditions, I think you are OK. The hairiest part of that day was coming back through the East Pass to the bay. We ended up behind a 40+ foot fishing boat that was throwing out some rollers. My Lake of the Ozarks boating experience really helped me get through that.  :rolleyes:

BTW, one year we also rented a 20-21 ft.Sea Hunt dual console with a 150 HP Yamaha. Had an open bow plus a small enclosed head. It was a really nice boat, maybe the Admiral would like something like that......

Yes nice boat the Sea Hunt. Both the SSi and SSX series have self bailing cockpits. Drains Overboard and not into the bilge. But... 

Admiral and I have taken to heart all these stories and sage advice. Our last boat was a bluewater boat, an Island Packet 38.  Guess we can't go back to a smaller boat in the 21-24 ft range. So we've about decided on the Signature 270. We know we don't want another big sailboat - we want the versatility of a power boat,  and the Signature 270 addresses all our concerns about boating in open water. :D Plus we can jump in and get to local restaurants and beer joints easily! Will advise. 

This is a great forum.  Hope to meet some of you someday on the water. Thanks again.  Joe