wijeff

Shout out for your favorite lake or river

Where is your favorite boating location tell us about the launch areas , tie ups , restaurants, bar on the water ,any obstacles to stay away from. share some of your good times 

In KY: Laurel River Lake (my home base) and Lake Cumberland.

In TN: Norris Lake and Dale Hollow Lake.

Dale Hollow Lake is our favorite...although we go to Barren river Lake more often because it is closer..would like to try Norris Lake heard lots of good things about it

Laurel Lake, leaving marina

IMG_0223.jpg

Laurel Lake, cove paddling

P1020042.jpg

Laurel Lake, on the hook

P1000056.jpg

Signature pic is on Laurel, also.  Probably the cleanest water in KY.

Saginaw Bay and River are always fun. Up North in MI Higgins, Houghton, Clear, Torch Lakes and the Inland Waterway are great too!

Mississippi River in St. Louis between Alton Dam and Winfield Dam, also the Illinois River and Grafton, IL.  Grafton Marina has beautiful facilities and the town is fantastic with beautiful wineries.  

The Atlantic!  Doesn't get better than that. 

On 3/24/2018 at 6:39 AM, Pgeiser said:

Mississippi River in St. Louis between Alton Dam and Winfield Dam, also the Illinois River and Grafton, IL.  Grafton Marina has beautiful facilities and the town is fantastic with beautiful wineries.  

+1. It's not great, but it's close by and what we have. You forgot to mention the beaches. Nice sand, swaying palms. Ok, so there aren't any palms. Good sand, though. 

Rough River is home for us great like just big enough to enjoy a day one the water but not so big that the waters choppy all the time. Grew up on Ky lake as a kid, still love it but life moved us to central Ky a few years ago. Now full time lake life and very happy with our new digs. 

Upper Chesapeake Bay

#1 Mouth of Churn Creek.

The locals call it Still Pond, but this IMHO this is the best swim beach on the Bay. Hard sand bottom with an exposed sand bar to port at low tide. Crowded in the summer months. I know as I live there.

#2 Woodlawn Creek

On the SassafrasRiver to Starboard just before Georgetown.

Secluded, with hard bottom and a good place to see the traffic rolling out of the river on weekends. Heck of a boat show.

#3 BohemiaRiver

Many points to anchor to port, just beyond the 6 MPH markers, before the Rt. 213 bridge.

#4 Worton Creek

Anchorage to Port heading in, on the south side of Worton Point. Great bay exposure with good air movement on even the hottest day.

#5 Still Pond Creek

No beach to speak of, but solid bottom to port just beyond the abandoned Coast Guard Station.

Favorite Restaurants in order of yummy IMHO.

1. Annie’s @ KentNarrows
  2. The Narrows@KentNarrows
  3. The Harbor Shack @ Rock Hall

4. Schaefer's Canal House @ ChesapeakeCity

5. Riverwatch @ Middle River

6. Crab Claw @ Saint Michaels

7. The Chesapeake Inn @ ChesapeakeCity

8. The Jetty@KentNarrows (the bands are great, bar food only.)

9. The Shanty at Tolchester Marina

10. Harris’s Crab House @ Kent Narrows

11. Tidewater Grille @ Havre De Grace
  12. Waterman’s Crab House @ Rock Hall

13. The Harbor House @ Worton Creek

14. Fisherman’s Inn @ Kent Narrows

15. Triton Bar & Grille @ Elk River

16. Naughty Goose @ Northeast 

17. Anything in Little Italy @ Inner Harbor Baltimore

#1 Mouth of Churn Creek.

The locals call it Still Pond, but this IMHO this is the best swim beach on the Bay. Hard sand bottom with an exposed sand bar to port at low tide. Crowded in the summer months. I know as I live there.

#2 Woodlawn Creek

On the Sassafras River to Starboard just before Georgetown.

Secluded, with hard bottom and a good place to see the traffic rolling out of the river on weekends. Heck of a boat show.

#3 Bohemia River

Many points to anchor to port, just beyond the 6 MPH markers, before the Rt. 213 bridge.

#4 Worton Creek

Anchorage to Port heading in, on the south side of Worton Point. Great bay exposure with good air movement on even the hottest day.

#5 Still Pond Creek

No beach to speak of, but solid bottom to port just beyond the abandoned Coast Guard Station.

Favorite Restaurants in order of yummy IMHO.

Annie’s @ Kent Narrows

The Narrows @ Kent Narrows

The Harbor Shack @ Rock Hall

Schaefer's Canal House @ Chesapeake City

Riverwatch @ Middle River

Crab Claw @ Saint Michaels

The Chesapeake Inn @ Chesapeake City

The Jetty @ Kent Narrows (the bands are great, bar food only.)

The Shanty at Tolchester Marina

Harris’s Crab House @ Kent Narrows

Tidewater Grille @ Havre De Grace

Waterman’s Crab House @ Rock Hall

The Harbor House @ Worton Creek

Fisherman’s Inn @ Kent Narrows

Triton Bar & Grille @ Elk River

Naughty Goose @ Northeast 

Anything in Little Italy @ Inner Harbor Baltimore

So Mary has expressed her desire for relocation back to Florida. I built my place here on the Upper Chesapeake in 2003, but no longer have need for 6 bedrooms on 2-1/2 acres. I will miss my out-building workshop as Man-Land has it all, but the time has come to downsize. Looking hard at the Tampa Gulf Coast area, with interest specifically in the area of Charlotte Harbor. You can't help but be concerned with all discussion revolving around recreational water quality there. I would be very appreciative if any of you could share any real world experience. We have rented a home in Cape Coral for Nov-Dec this year, but it is on their fresh water canal system. If we do relocate to S/W Florida, home will have easy harbor access, hydra hoist, large outside living space, bird cage, garage, and a heated pool. Many options there that would suit our needs but I keep looking for the razor blade in the apple. New Cobia 277 CC with twin 250's looks to have the off-shore boating needs covered and my Chap will go to someone who limits their activity to bays, lakes, and rivers. Any thoughts out there?  W

My favorite boating place is Lake Norman, NC.  Favorite lake front establishment is the Blue Parrot.  Fav dive bar is the Landing/Tiki Bar.  There are many excellent launch ramps all around the lake.  In fact they have the nicest ramps I've ever been to.  Water is clear and warm,  and there are many great coves to raft up in.  The homes around the lake are beautiful with many nice rentals.  I hope to retire on LKN in the next 10 years.

My home lake is Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.  Nice lake, smallish, but clean.  Water temp gets up in the 70s by mid summer.  Martin's Cove is our favorite place to raft up.  Because of the size, the lake gets very crowded on the wknds.  Lots of NY & NJ folks make the trip to PA.  Our favorite establishment is the Boathouse.  The State ramp at the North end of the Lake is the only public ramp and it's a nice ramp.  There are other ramps that charge a minimal fee.

My former home port was the Delaware River out of Neshaminy Marina in Croydon, PA.  Nice marina and ramp.  Our raft up location was Tullytown Cove.  The Delaware is pretty clean but it has a mud bottom so the water is often muddy and will leave a scum line on your boat.  It's very tidal so you must follow the channel markers or else!  It's nice to travel from Trenton, NJ to Philadelphia,  then Philly south to the C&D Canal and into the Chesapeake.  Lots to see & do.  Lots of big boats on the River too!

My bucket list includes Lake Murray, SC,  & Lake Cumberland, KY.  I prefer Southern Lakes because I like warm water

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

So Mary has expressed her desire for relocation back to Florida. I built my place here on the Upper Chesapeake in 2003, but no longer have need for 6 bedrooms on 2-1/2 acres. I will miss my out-building workshop as Man-Land has it all, but the time has come to downsize. Looking hard at the Tampa Gulf Coast area, with interest specifically in the area of Charlotte Harbor. You can't help but be concerned with all discussion revolving around recreational water quality there. I would be very appreciative if any of you could share any real world experience. We have rented a home in Cape Coral for Nov-Dec this year, but it is on their fresh water canal system. If we do relocate to S/W Florida, home will have easy harbor access, hydra hoist, large outside living space, bird cage, garage, and a heated pool. Many options there that would suit our needs but I keep looking for the razor blade in the apple. New Cobia 277 CC with twin 250's looks to have the off-shore boating needs covered and my Chap will go to someone who limits their activity to bays, lakes, and rivers. Any thoughts out there?  W

we used to own property in Naples, FL.  Love it there.  Beautiful on the Gulf Coast.  I didn't do any boating down there but we used to go down every winter for a week.  We always took the ferry down to the Keys for a day.  Key West is a party town and a little young for us but I loved the boat ride down.  It's busy down there with "blue hairs" and the traffic is bad.  It's very populated to say the least.  But the Gulf coast is very nice and Marco Island, Naples, Cape Coral up to Tampa are very nice.  Hurricanes can be a problem tho!

11 hours ago, Wingnut said:

and my Chap will go to someone who limits their activity to bays, lakes, and rivers.

I boat on the Mississippi river on the weekends and we take a yearly trip with the kids to LOTO every other year.  When we are not spending a week at LOTO we go to Torch Lake, Dale Hollow, TRL ect.  Just saying if you are looking for a boat in FL to let me know when you may want to find a new home for yours...