tomnjo

Any RVers out there?

76 posts in this topic

Thinking of slowing down and switching it up and buying a travel trailer. Any one on here with experience with types/brands? It is just the two of us and I have already done alot of research.

We love our 2015 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS.  We consider it the perfect couples camper.  The murphy bed allows for both a couch and a large dinette without the large overall size and weight.  Huge bathroom.  Two exterior doors (one directly into bathroom).  Full length awning.  Tons of interior storage.

We don't tow it around much; just a couple of miles to the campsite from the storage unit.

P1010571.jpg

P1010574.jpg

There is a twin to this one under another name.  The Rockwood Minilite 2503, I believe.

I'm a big Forest River fan. Like all their stuff. You can check them out at forestriverinc.com We currently have a Sabre 5th wheel 40 feet from our dock in a campground. Pull in and dock, no driving after a day out on the lake, fire up the grills and get cookin.

Pick a decent brand and get the best floor plan for your purposes.  Floor plan is key when selecting a camper. 

LOTS of brands under the Forest River umbrella.

Another vote for Forest River. Have a Flagstaff Shamrock 24' hybrid trailer that has been flawless. Great layout and quality materials. Hybrid gives you a 29' foot trailer in a 24' chassis (lighter), but the fold down ends are not everyone's cup of tea. Perfect for 2-3 people.

We keep it mostly parked at a campground 5 minutes from our marina on the Chesapeake, makes it easy to spend the weekend instead of just the day. Taking it on a trip to Va next week for a 5 days, Monticello and Williamsburg and then dropping it off at the campground on the way home. Boating and camping season is just around the corner, hot diggity.

Futz, I saw the Rockwood versions of yours at the RV show here, pretty nice. I have two on my short list right now. First is the Coachman Freedom Express 192 RBS, (part of Forest River). It has a small sofa slide, fixed front walk around queen bed and a rear bath. The only negatives are the small shower and I have read on forums that the slide has gaps on the bottom when extended that owners have to stick foam into.

The second one is similar. It's the Keystone Passport 195RB. It has a front walk around queen Murphy bed setup, rear bath, no slide. Since it has the Murphy bed it also has a small dinette that the Coachman lacks. Both are under 4K pounds dry. I'm trying to keep my tongue weight as close to 500 pounds as possible and I prefer to have a tandem axle trailer. Both of these little 19ers are tandems and also are aluminum frame constructed.

I have one question for you guys. If you would have to give up the boat or the trailer, which would it be? This is going to be a one or the other decision for us. Seems like RVing is less dependent on cooperation from Mother Nature but I'm afraid that if I am camping by the water I will be yearning for a boat.

All this being said, we have an RPod 179 reserved to rent for a weekend in August. We are camping at a campground right on a large Missouri lake that we have boated on, but with no boat, so it should be an interesting trip. We will still be boating at least through this summer.

BTW, through all of my research I have found that Thor owns just about everything and Forest River owns the rest.  :unsure: 

3 hours ago, Auggie said:

Forget the trailer buy a motorhome tow the boat with a motorhome

+1.

They can have my boat when they pry it from my cold, dead hands, as they say.

Auggie's suggestion removes a very difficult decision.

I would encourage you to find a way to do both.  You strike me as a die-hard, true blue boater.  I would think you'd miss it.

I love being able to do both, and am fortunate to be able to do both rather regularly.  We keep both the boat and camper at/near the lake.  Boat is on a lift in a covered slip, camper kept in a nearby storage unit.  Our goal with the camper was to be able to spend more time at the lake, not to travel around with it.  Big success in that regard.

If I HAD to choose, I'd keep the boat.

BTW, it takes a lot of motorhome to tow a 21' bowrider (safely & effectively); way more coach than just a couple needs.  Trust me, I looked into it before buying my camper.

The Passport was on my short list, but the 2503 / 25KS trumped everything (for me) with its features and weight.

Good luck, Tom.

And, oh yeah, that RPOD is LITTLE!!

As I said, it will be one or the other. Not doing both. Part of the allure of a camper is the elimination of one internal combustion engine to have to worry about maintaining. Part of this decision will be about slowing things down. Also, we have no place to store anything at the house, so there is the extra cost of storage for two toys, additional taxes, etc. Could we do it? Sure. But we are on the backside of our 50s now, cramming as much of our disposable income we can for retirement.  I do love the water but I did quite a bit of camping and backpacking when I was younger, so I would kind of be going back to my roots. Also, I like the idea of traveling around with a camper in tow, going out west, up to the Great Lakes, Appalachia, etc. Starting to be able to picture myself under a trailer awning in a gravity lounger, with my shorts pulled up to my chest, and my sandals on over my socks.  :lol:

I realize the RPod is small. All of the other rentals they had were bunkhouses. I figure if we could do OK in the RPod, we would be OK in all of the campers on my shortlist which are larger.

I went to the Buffalo RV show a while ago. Was not seriously looking at anything. But some of the trailers are REALLY nice and it kinda has planted a seed. I won't be buying one for at least the next 2 years but it is really on my mind. My 150 will pull just about any of them I looked at. Probably stay around 25 feet. But then there is the boat. Can't pull both of them. And then I walked around the corner and I see truck campers.

They had two sizes. The larger one was roomier and had it's own toilet. But it was heavy and maxed out my payload to the point I couldn't carry more the 50lbs of provisions or tow the boat. But the smaller camper was light enough to carry everything and tow the boat. But it was more cramped and no toilet. I will head down to the facility that sells them and check it out further.

I do like the extra space of a trailer but to give up my boat for it.......not there yet.

8 minutes ago, SST said:

I do like the extra space of a trailer but to give up my boat for it.......not there yet.

Yep, THAT is what we have to figure out this summer.......

I just got what I hope will be a boat that lasts until I die. I've had RVs for the past 13 or 14 years and am close to ready to step into a class A coach again. We were looking and noticed most will tow 10,000 lbs. So I bought this boat and in a couple years  will sell my trailer.  I don't EVER see myself kick'n it under an awning unless I'm  waiting for food or resting up for the next foolish thing to do.  I'm way too hyper. We're on the backside of 50 also. 

I was just reminded that I am wrong about not sitting on my $^& under and awning.  if I can get close enough to water and have a fishing pole in my hands I would probably do that so I stand corrected my apologies

Edited by Auggie
The boss said so

Anyone looking for a new camper you have to call my buddy Michael Frazer at Cheyenne Camping Center in Iowa. I have got several from him and he beats anyone's prices by thousands. Tell him I told you to call. My most recent one he beat the next best deal I could find by 9400.

Yes sir!

IMO, check out some class A's while you are at it.

A 5'ver will give you more room in the long run.  But with an A, you can tow your boat, atv's, or a JEEP.

The only thing I enjoy more than being out on the water, is afterwards campin by the fire pit. 

23 hours ago, Futzin' said:

BTW, it takes a lot of motorhome to tow a 21' bowrider (safely & effectively); way more coach than just a couple needs.  Trust me, I looked into it before buying my camper.

The Passport was on my short list, but the 2503 / 25KS trumped everything (for me) with its features and weight.

Class A's are pretty stout.  I towed my 196SSi and plan on towing the 236SSx with a Thor ACE 30.1.

It is an entry level A, at the paltry price of $90K.  :huh:  But she works hard with the V10 and a 5 star tune.

I have had the hitch 'beefed up' to handle the additional weight of the 236.  But with the trailer having surge brakes on both axles, I barely even know she is back there.

Personally I would rather tow the boat with the ACE than the Denali.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, tomnjo said:

Futz, I saw the Rockwood versions of yours at the RV show here, pretty nice. I have two on my short list right now. First is the Coachman Freedom Express 192 RBS, (part of Forest River). It has a small sofa slide, fixed front walk around queen bed and a rear bath. The only negatives are the small shower and I have read on forums that the slide has gaps on the bottom when extended that owners have to stick foam into.

The second one is similar. It's the Keystone Passport 195RB. It has a front walk around queen Murphy bed setup, rear bath, no slide. Since it has the Murphy bed it also has a small dinette that the Coachman lacks. Both are under 4K pounds dry. I'm trying to keep my tongue weight as close to 500 pounds as possible and I prefer to have a tandem axle trailer. Both of these little 19ers are tandems and also are aluminum frame constructed.

I have one question for you guys. If you would have to give up the boat or the trailer, which would it be? This is going to be a one or the other decision for us.

FWIW, of those two I prefer the Passport.  I like having both a dinette and couch.  Feels more homey, and more functional.  Also, I like having the dinette on the 'camp/curb' side of the camper to better keep an eye on/enjoy my campsite.  Another unit to maybe consider would be the Rockport Mini Lite 2304, but it exceeds (slightly) your weight guidelines (4100 dry, 508 tongue).

I went at my camper purchase kinda like a boat purchase:  buy your second camper first.

I wish you the best whichever route you guys decide to go.  You guys are absolutely welcome to come here and camp/boat with us either way!

P1020051.jpg

Looks like a nice setup there, Futz. Do you have to keep some of that zombie ammo from the other thread on hand there?  :D

Nah, campers are pretty honest folks!  You do get the occasional critter scrounging for food, though.  No zombies spotted yet . . .

Well, there may be one or two in this shot:

IMG_0189.jpg

We had a Forest River travel trailer for 10 years, as the kids were growing up. Not expensive, worked great. 

We are out shopping for a new RV. Our favorite TT is an Airstream. But we may go a small diesel bus. 

brick