tomnjo

Any RVers out there?

81 posts in this topic

We have both a travel trailer and a boat. The boat wins, hands-down.

We don't have much invested in the travel trailer; we jokingly refer to it as our POSTT. It had some dry rot in the floor boards when we bought it, so we got it for a song and somewhat fixed it.

And then, we got T-Boned by a sailboat.  Yep, you read that right.  A huge sailboat on a trailer; fellow didn't chock it when he disconnected and it rolled slowly into our POSTT, slightly piercing the side. His car insurance covered the repairs -- $4800.  I bought $10 of JB Weld and fixed it, pocketing the check. :)

I'd consider a trailer if I could double pull with the boat.  Texas law allows for double trailing as long as total length of rig is under 65'.  With the weight of my boat, I think I'd need a fifth wheel camper with a strong frame.  Unfortunately I'm going to need a bigger truck to pull 13,000 pounds of trailers. :(

I think most states that allow doubles REQUIRE that the first be a fifth wheel, in addition to the length restriction.

Check local listings . . .

As someone mentioned earlier, make sure its made of aluminum construction for the ceiling and wall structures. No wood. Don't rely on the salesmans word, make sure its in writing or on the sales  brochure or In print somehow. And will you have the correct tow vehicle? We use a class c motor home which tows the boat and allows us to camp and boat.

somehow. And will you have the correct tow vehicle?

20160616_201922_zpsypzwqewb.jpg20160601_140948_zpszmlajxh0.jpgWe have a 42 foot Keystone Outback Sydney Edition , 5th wheel. 4 slides, home, away from home.

Ford power stroke to haul it. 

We have a Tracker party hut II, that's going on a buoy at the lake next month.

A Hummer H2, will be hauling the new to us, 1999 2330.

We go to another lake in Colorado, and both vehicles are required to get the 5th wheel, and the 2330 up there.

Can't do doubles, as the oal exceeds 65 feet. 

We'll still use both vehicles for weekend trips to the lake. Park the Ford, and use the Hummer to put in, and take out.

We have a 30' toy hauler and quads for riding.  But the boat wins if the weather is nice.  

Get as big as a trailer as you can tow.  Even though you say it's just two of you.  You might find that you need more room later.  

Good luck.

We RV'd as a kid and I grew to disdain it.  My folks grew into a fifth wheel eventually and although it was nice, it just isn't our way of doing things.   

3 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

We RV'd as a kid and I grew to disdain it.  My folks grew into a fifth wheel eventually and although it was nice, it just isn't our way of doing things.   

Ya gotta have a certain amount of Redneck in ya!  :D

23 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Oh believe me....we were almost all redneck growing up.  Glad there weren't digital cameras back then.  

Taking camper up Saturday to set up. Fish creek is still high and there is a flood watch out on Lake Ontario. Said highest it has been in over 20 years. If your pile of empty cans is bigger than your rv, you might be a redneck.

18 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I resemble that remark...

brick

Had a Primetime 3150 BHS model. Loved the double slide outs, the room and bunkhouse layout for the boys. Ended up selling it after divorce. Loved towing it up into the GA mountains, hiking during the day, playing in the creeks and enjoying the outdoors in the lap of luxury. 

I'd recommend a top notch WDH (I used equalizer brand and was very happy) and a Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller if you don't have one integrated in your tow vehicle. 

Watch your weight and get weighted in a scale!

Buy as big an A/C you can afford and make sure to bring a tool kit. Keep it on a surge protector at the hook up box as well. 

50A service is preferred to 30A, but depending on size 30A may be all that's available. 

Take it slow and enjoy the drive and time off.

Rivers are flooding here, can't boat. The RV alternative is looking pretty good right now.....

If we do switch to RVing, this is what we are leaning toward.

45 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Rivers are flooding here, can't boat. The RV alternative is looking pretty good right now.....

If we do witch to RVing, this is what we are leaning toward.

Do yourself a favor and check out cheyennecampingcenter.com I have bought several there and you cant beat his deals. Talk to Michael Frazer, hes my guy.

Looking at the video increases my interest in getting a trailer. Its been raining so much around here, that the top of my boat has seen more water than the bottom.

My boat is currently sitting about 50 feet from the house. When the storm front came howling through yesterday, it rained so hard and was so wind driven, I couldn't see the boat out my back window. Good thing its 6000lbs.

Had a great first weekend with the camper and boat.  Took the boat out on Saturday in some stout wind.  Forgot the bimini at home = nice sunburn.  So the wife and I took the Harley out for a cruise to Cumberland Falls on Sunday before breaking camp.  Plus live music at the campground Saturday night.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:59 PM, Futzin' said:

Two exterior doors (one directly into bathroom)

Very nice when you camp around water or sand.

Joe

16 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Very nice when you camp around water or sand.

Joe

The extra bathroom entry door is one of my favorite features.  This camper (25KS) provides a lot of features for the price and size, and does it at a pretty low weight.  Excellent couples camper.

Just built a deck for the campground, but my body is so broken, I don't have energy to use it. Did the whole thing solo.

I sketched it out, made my materials checklist, and off to Lowes I went.

The plan was to frame six 4x8' sections with 2x6x8' pressure treated, but apparently Lowes had the rack mislabeled, and I was too distracted to notice.

I brought all the lumber home, and began construction. After sliding the first 4x8 section aside, and wondering why the heck it was so heavy, I then noticed I was using 2x8x8's. Ugh. Rather than bring it all back and scrap the one section I already made, I decided to keep going.

When I completed all six sections, I then realized stacked they would be taller than my pickup cab, plus I had no idea how I would get the top ones that high, each must have weighed 150lbs. So it took two trips to get all six down to the campground an hour away.

Anyway, I spent the last two days building the most over-built deck in the campground. Built like a brick s-house. This deck scoffs at hurricane winds, it rolls its eyes at flood waters, it yawns at 20 people partying on it.

Might as well have looked at a house instead of an RV considering the amount of work this took.

d4c02320c6135c723ba79925df760c69_zpszo29

12 hours ago, Auggie said:

Who cares about all the work.  That's a badass deck.  NICE job

Thanks. I've added it to my will so that my great great grandchildren can someday also drink a few beers on it.