tomnjo

Any RVers out there?

76 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2017 at 5:39 PM, tomnjo said:

Rivers are flooding here, can't boat. The RV alternative is looking pretty good right now.....

If we do switch to RVing, this is what we are leaning toward.

Ok, I showed the admiral the above video and we are now shopping for a trailer.  I still hope to double trailer, without a fifth wheel model.  However if needed we may look at down sizing boats to do this.

On 5/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, Duane2135 said:

Ok, I showed the admiral the above video and we are now shopping for a trailer.  I still hope to double trailer, without a fifth wheel model.  However if needed we may look at down sizing boats to do this.

But Duane, you have an RV in your bow.......

1 hour ago, tomnjo said:

But Duane, you have an RV in your bow.......

If you consider that adequate RV space then I'd say you're a candidate for a pickup truck bed drop-in camper!

We have a 2016 Passport 2890RL and have been loving it.  Decent sized, sleeps six and weighs in at 5400 dry.  Very easy to tow.  A couple of minor warranty issues but overall a good rv so far.  My wife and I are usually by ourselves since the kids bring their own and room is a premium.  You may want more room. By the time you get all of your kitchen stuff that your wife wants and all of the goodies that you want you run out of room pretty quick so personally I would like even more room but this is what we have now.

Usually, if not always, using fifth wheel only.  No rear hitch.  Check local listings . . .

2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Usually, if not always, using fifth wheel only.  No rear hitch.  Check local listings . . .

5th wheel not required in Texas, Ok, Kansas, Louisiana & Nebraska, just to name a few.  However, I'm sure states with steep grades have more concerns than flat states.

Update on this thread.

After dong alot of research we finally decided on the trailer we would like to buy that would be most useful for us and that we could tow easily. nod.gif

Additionally, we learned alot about RV parks and interesting places to visit. Unfortunately, this all requires time that conflicts with our schedules. confused.gif

We rarely have multiple days to commit to anything, other than our vacation trips, and we are not ready to give up that time for a camping trip. nonono2.gif

Right now, with the exception of a couple of long weekend trips, most of our boating is done on a per day basis close by and we are home by bed time. nod.gif

Soooo, at least for now, we are still boat people!! luxhello.gif

Thanks for all of the replies.

We are RV'ers and boaters. One tow vehicle, so it takes careful planning to do both the same weekend. But

we have managed just fine.

413423427.jpg

413423450.jpg

It was interesting as I drove SR160 between Durango and Tuba City how many boats I saw being towed. Not being familiar with the area, I'm thinking, its the desert, where the heck are they going? LOL.  I eventually figured it out.

I was also amazed at how many RV parks I passed along the way on my whole trip. One RV park has got me really wanting an RV. I don't remember the name of it but it's in Chama, NM right up against the Combre and Toltec RR. That's on the list!  I saw a lot of trailering out there. From short 20 footers to huge 5th wheel and giant motor homes/buses. 

Some day.........

Being a train nut I've been looking forward to going to the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad and taking a ride. I have a few videos of it and they go through some fantastic areas

I took 3 train rides last week. Which was the point of going out west in the first place. Each one was fantastic in its own operation. I was able to miss the extreme heat. I spent most of the time above 7000ft. The Grand Canyon got pretty hot but not extreme. I arrived in PHX in the morning to fly home so I was inside while the temps rose to 113. I loved the drive from Flagstaff to PHX on I-17 and the altitude markers along the road. 7000, 6000, 5000 etc. Here are the 3 I rode on:

Combre And Toltec[steam locomotive]- Crossing the NM/CO state line through the mountains. Amazing. Snow exists above 10K feet.

Durango and Silverton[steam locomotive]- Following the same river all the way. But then the river drops maybe 200 feet below and your riding on a cliff!  Snow above too.

Grand Canyon RR[Diesel locomotive-Steam on Saturdays] A somewhat more "relaxed" scenic view than the above but the destination......also amazing! No snow....HOT!

15 hours ago, Auggie said:

Being a train nut I've been looking forward to going to the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad and taking a ride. I have a few videos of it and they go through some fantastic areas

If you really like trains watch this live streaming cam from the Durango and Silverton. Morning departures and evening arrivals. It is clear, everybody loves steam! Not much activity once the 3 trains depart.

http://railwebcams.net/cams/durango-railroad.html

Here's a secret that I don't think anybody takes into consideration. I didn't.  If your going to take the Durango run, take the bus TO Silverton. The view is just as spectacular as the train. There are 3 departures in the morning. So, taking the bus will have you arrive at Silverton BEFORE the trains arrive. If you love trains, you're in a great position to watch. I like to watch.  Then, take the 1:45 train out of Silverton TO Durango. This will allow you to watch the next 2 arrive in Durango. PLUS.....When the last two arrive, go out the back door of the museum which overlooks the turntable......you'll be able to watch steam locomotives backing onto the turntable and then enter the shed. AMAZING! Its as good as the cliffs overlooking the river! hahaha

15 minutes ago, SST said:

If you really like trains watch this live streaming cam from the Durango and Silverton. Morning departures and evening arrivals. It is clear, everybody loves steam! Not much activity once the 3 trains depart.

http://railwebcams.net/cams/durango-railroad.html

Here's a secret that I don't think anybody takes into consideration. I didn't.  If your going to take the Durango run, take the bus TO Silverton. The view is just as spectacular as the train. There are 3 departures in the morning. So, taking the bus will have you arrive at Silverton BEFORE the trains arrive. If you love trains, you're in a great position to watch. I like to watch.  Then, take the 1:45 train out of Silverton TO Durango. This will allow you to watch the next 2 arrive in Durango. PLUS.....When the last two arrive, go out the back door of the museum which overlooks the turntable......you'll be able to watch steam locomotives backing onto the turntable and then enter the shed. AMAZING! Its as good as the cliffs overlooking the river! hahaha

Did you say " if I really like trains " Well let's see I have a good friend who's one of the mechanics at the Durango & Silverton I have a climate-controlled shed with an N scale layout in it that I have about 600 feet of  track down so far and about 150 locomotives and I can't even tell you how many cars yes I think I like trains (and no my wife actually doesn't  want to kill me YET.  But she's probably planning it quietly)

I don't have the room in my home to set up a train layout. Around the Xmas tree is as far as it gets. Tell your friend I send my compliments on a great ride.  

I will. He's a good guy.  I model the Rio Grande and a branch line i call the TMSR "TABLE MOUNTAIN SCENIC RAIL" with an ATSF interchange

Please excuse the mess.  

The grade your train is climbing is similar to the Combre and Toltec RR. As we climbed out of Chama and hanging out the window, I was amazed at the grade we were climbing. While rolling along on one side of a valley, I looked across and noticed the track on the other side. WAAY up there!  I'm thinking, "We gotta climb up there?" You're gonna love that train ride. Guaranteed!

When your finished with your layout, update me. Loved to see it. 

Thanks.  It's a work in progress.  Thats a 3.9% grade on the layout.  I'm liking narrow gauge but want to run big steam on the layout

Wow did this thread de-rail....

Last week we too became campers as well as boaters.  We bought an Artic Fox 22H.  It's perfect for us and I'm confident that I may be able to double pull with it, but time will tell.  My biggest concern is weight and balance.  If I can get the first trailer to balance out with the second without exceeding gross limits, then I'll be in business.

Even though I put all new surge brakes on the boat trailer last year, I think I'll remove them from the back axle.  I'm going to try electric brakes on the back axle and see which performs better and last the longest.  Either way, the electric will make it safer for double pulling, and will aid in keeping the truck from slipping down the ramp at launch.

I'm confident that I may be able to double pull with it,

Texas allows you to pull a 2nd trailer behind a travel trailer ?  Illegal in many states. You can pull another trailer behind a

5th wheel, or Class A , B or C, but NOT behind a travel trailer here in Michigan. Make sure your insurance covers a "double-pull"

Many do not cover that in the event of an accident. Of course, heavier load first, then lighter load 2nd.

I would never even consider towing a boat behind our travel trailer, even if it was legal.

It's actually legal in most states to double pull, with most exceptions being the east and west coast states.  Of those that allow it, only a few specify the necessity for the first to be a fifth wheel.  I've doubled before, years back, as did my father.  Now it's not something you do lightly, and requires patience, lots of it.  You can't back up more than 5', in optimum conditions.  With my dads rig, he didn't even have brakes on either trailer, back in the 70's and 80's.  Obviously we took our time and max pull was decided to be 55 mph, of course that was the speed limit back then.  His rig was admittedly lighter and shorter, but was stable as a rock, with brakes being the weak point.

If the weight and balance works out, it will primarily be for 1-6 hour distances.  I don't pull a single trailer much past 60mph, so I'd probably pull doubles at around 55.  If unstable, I'll have to buy a second tow vehicle, or pack the forward trailer nose heavy.  For local, it's probably easier to pull the loads separately.  Unlike my dads boat, I can't lift the tongue and pull the boat to the travel trailers rear hitch.  That too is where my weight and balance issue may come from. I'll also have to back the TT under the boat which may get the best of me.  Wireless camera would help here.

On the TT, my forward fresh water tank adds 350 lbs to the front of the trailers coach.  The waste tanks are at the rear and when full may contain as much as 560 lbs.  So far, I have towed empty, and loaded with fresh water with empty waste tanks.  I can feel the difference in how it pulls.  For grins, I filled both waste tanks and emptied the front fresh water.  It was still stable although there was more wander when passed by trucks than the earlier test.  Only then did I discover I am missing a joint to be able to drain the waste tanks!  Doh, waiting on Amazon delivery, so I can drain them.  

What I don't know, "yet" is what the tongue of the boat weighs nor the actual boat/trailer weight.  So once I have those numbers then I'll know if it's even worth mounting a hitch on the TT.

Fortunately the TT has the axles pretty far back, so the momentum arm is less in the rear than the front, so a full fresh water tank and empty waste tanks may offset the tonge of the second trailer, especially with 60 lbs of propane on the tonge of the TT.

I'm a pilot, and once I have all the actual weights and arm lengths from center of balance, I should be able to determine if my plan will work out on paper to give me 12-15% forward weight on the TT tonge with the boat attached.  If I can maintain that and not exceed the TT's gross, then I should be good to go.