DarkMantle

Gelcoat advice please

there is no clear coat on your gel coat.  Gel coat isn't paint, it's a relatively thin layer of polyester resin.  Hard to tell how deep your scratch is but the 1st step is to try to compound it.  If that doesn't work, the next step is to wet sand.  If it's actually thru the gel to the fiberglass, you need a gelcoat repair kit

5 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

there is no clear coat on your gel coat.  Gel coat isn't paint, it's a relatively thin layer of polyester resin.  Hard to tell how deep your scratch is but the 1st step is to try to compound it.  If that doesn't work, the next step is to wet sand.  If it's actually thru the gel to the fiberglass, you need a gelcoat repair kit

It really looks like a missing piece of clear.  I can feel the edges of it as it's quite pronounced.  It's exposing what looks like flat black paint.  I hope I don't sound like I'm disputing what you're saying, I'm only trying to describe what it looks and feels like.  The scratchy marks to the right of that spot look worse than it is.  Those will buff right out.

the scratch is most likely thru the gelcoat.  So for that you would need to get a gel repair kit.  Like I said, gel is not like paint, it's actually a several mil thick layer of resin that is sprayed on the mold first during the fiberglass layup process.  I've had a deep scratch on my black boat and I had it professionally repaired cause I wouldn't have been able to do a good job repairing black. White is not as bad.

There is no clear coat. Gelcoat can be buffed, wet sanded or repaired, depending on how deep the damage goes. A good gelcoat guy will make it look brand new, and you will not be able to tell it was repaired. 

brick

4 minutes ago, brick said:

There is no clear coat. Gelcoat can be buffed, wet sanded or repaired, depending on how deep the damage goes. A good gelcoat guy will make it look brand new, and you will not be able to tell it was repaired. 

brick

+1

I see the same thing. Gel coat does not lift up like a sprayed on clear plastic coat. Some of the patches look like stretched out plastic coating. Fix for previous bangs ?

5 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I see the same thing. Gel coat does not lift up like a sprayed on clear plastic coat. Some of the patches look like stretched out plastic coating. Fix for previous bangs ?

I'm not sure if it was smacked before, but is that typically what damaged Gel coat looks like?  I've never dealt with the stuff before. 

Looks to me like a repair which was painted to match that wasn't prepped correctly.  It's pealing from the base layer.  

Ummm that won't "buff out".  That's gonna need some professional help IMO.

It looks to me like some one clear coated the hull, at least the black anyway.  Not sure why they would have done that, but its not normal.  Gelcoat is not normally topcoated like that.  It is a thick layer of colored resin.  It might be a situation where you need to seek professional help. 

9 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

Maybe its me but something doesn't look right there.

1 hour ago, TNBrett said:

It looks to me like some one clear coated the hull, at least the black anyway.  Not sure why they would have done that, but its not normal.

Agree ... does not rook right ... it's not normal ...

Does not look like gelcoat damage. Looks like clear coat or black paint that is peeling off and a slightly sanded gelcoat is peeking from underneath. If that is a case you will need to redo the entire painted area for it to look right. Sorry ... looks like somebody got tired of buffing and buffing that ever oxidizing BLACK gelcoat and covered it with some paint.

3 hours ago, Richard W said:

Agree ... does not rook right ... it's not normal ...

Does not look like gelcoat damage. Looks like clear coat or black paint that is peeling off and a slightly sanded gelcoat is peeking from underneath. If that is a case you will need to redo the entire painted area for it to look right. Sorry ... looks like somebody got tired of buffing and buffing that ever oxidizing BLACK gelcoat and covered it with some paint.

Well if that's the case, it may be a blessing in disguise. I've done clear repairs before and there's a product that works quite well in blending the new and old clearcoats. Actually melts the edges together. You'd be hard pressed to tell anything was done. 

Well, this could be good thing indeed. Try to pry a few small chips from the edges of top layer and assess what the layer is, clear coat or paint.

There is a small chance that this is a messed up gelcoat job where the gelcoat layers were somehow improperly layed up (bad mix/batch, or bad timing, or wrong temperature/humidity, etc) at the factory. I don't think so but keep this in mind as a possibility.

From the pics, sure looks like someone painted over the fiberglass / gelcoat and it got gouged, leaving the gelcoat / glass exposed. Folks painting their boats is not all that uncommon, me thinks. The go fast boat with crazy colors guys have been doing it for ever.

Gelcoat repairs are actually pretty easy to do. If I did it and can barely be noticed due to the slightest tint difference in the correct light / angle,  anyone with any ability at all can, too (one would be hard pressed to find it if I didn't point the spot out). The hardest part is tinting the gelcoat to match existing so it'll be near invisible when done.. 

In the case of this, however, seems like sanding / new paint / new clear coat may be the only way out to repair.

I think both pics of damage are just damage to the gel coat where several millimeters of the "gel" we're damaged. No cause for alarm. You could probably repair it yourself if you wish to try or a very simple fix for anyone that works on boat body's for a living.

Properly layed up gelcoat does not have visible layers when exposed by accident. It is suppose to be one thick layer of resin after all is done and cured. The neetly removed layer exposing more gelcoat instead of raw fiberglass in one of the pictures is not normal ... the gelcoat damage does not look like that. The top layer needs to be examin closly to know for sure what is made of.

Gel coat is solid.  I don't know how old your boat is but it looks like ;it has been re-coated with something.   Some older boats are "repainted" with a very durable product called "Imron".  It is made specifically for marine applications and it is sprayed on in a controlled environment.  It is only used when the original gel coat is beyond help.  I have never seen clear coat used on a standard (Non-metallic finish) but there clear gel coat for those applications.

On some boats that have multi colored gel coated hulls, Often the gel coat overlaps inside the boat from over spray.  This is not visible from the outside but would be if you saw another color at the base of your scratch that matches another part of the boat.  But in either case, Gel Coat does not peel.

They've outlawed the application and use of Imron in California but I have used it in the eighties and the seventies and as I remember there is no clear coat on Imron. It was a one stage urethane based paint I believe that is very durable.

Boats a 2007. It must have been repainted. There are no visible signs of any damage and the survey said it was structurally sound. Looks to me like it would be a clear repair, because the black underneath is perfect. 

3 hours ago, Auggie said:

They've outlawed the application and use of Imron in California but I have used it in the eighties and the seventies and as I remember there is no clear coat on Imron. It was a one stage urethane based paint I believe that is very durable.

Before you know it you'll have to use bio degradable water colors in California......

1 hour ago, Chaparralchuck said:

Before you know it you'll have to use bio degradable water colors in California......

You have no idea how I would love to comment on this but since it's political I'm not going to get crazy all I can tell you is there are way way way way way way way too many liberals in California please come and take some back because I know half of them at least are from somewhere else

Lol, I get posts deleted on my other forum for even insinuating anything political.....sometimes I can't help myself. I know exactly what you mean in regard to your comment. Think of locusts....