Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AirCav1971

2017 Chaparral 19 H20 sport prop choice

4 posts in this topic

Hi All new on here but not new to boating. My Question is i am coming a 94 checkmate predictor 115 2-stroke so that is where my prop knowledge comes from. I know about prop choice bering new or at max rpm. I will be picking up a new 19 h2o on wednesday it comes with a 20p alum spitfire. I like to have 2 props one for pulling and one for at or near top end speed. I am thinking the 20p will be ok for pulling the other for speed in stainless i need help with 3-4 blade. 19 h20 2500lbs or so. engine is 4.3 merc 220 hp. 

Any Thoughts

Boat at raystown lake Pa.

And Thanks 

My 2009 196 SSi Wide-Tech (similar to your 19 H20), which has the 225 HP Volvo 4.3L GXi engine came with a stainless 3 blade 19" pitch Volvo prop. It is great for speed giving me a shade over 50 (52?) mph at 4600 rpm, but I can't get to max 4800 rpm's specified for my engine. To get better towing, hole-shot, and to reach max 4800 rpm I went with a Turning Point aluminum 4 blade 17"p prop. This configuration still gives me a respectable 48 mph wide open throttle. Generally, when going from 3 to 4 blade, you step down a couple of inches in pitch to compensate for the extra mass of the 4th blade.

If your boat is like mine, your existing 20p may be the speed prop and you may consider a 17p 4 blade for pulling. let me know how that works out.

A side note about changing prop while floating at anchor

I can change props in about 4 to 5 minutes. I wear a special jacket with all ZIPPERING POCKETS.  I carry spare nuts 2. & spare thrust / spacer washers 2. Wrench has a line tied to the rear cleat..........Do it in shallow , clear , firm bottom.

Piece of cake for the added performance.