Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ronbill

196 ssi Widetech travel cover

7 posts in this topic

I'm interested in purchasing an exact-fit trailerable boat cover for my 2009 196 SSi Widetech that would allow for the bimini top to be laid down under travel cover during transport. I have looked at the products from Westland (made with Sharkskin, Sunbrella), Carver (made with Sun-dura, Poly guard) and Shoretex (Weathermax, Prism, Travel Tuff) but haven't seen any pics showing how the cover installs around the integrated swim deck.

Quite frankly I'm leaning to Weathermax fabric but would like to know how well the covers fit and do/can they include perimeter tie-downs that ratchet in the back, ventilation poles etc.

Can anybody here with an '09-'13 196 ssi Widetech give a recommendation on a well-fit product I should consider?

just another consideration and I don't know what you have.  But for me I always had cockpit covers/bow covers.  Already had them so that's what I used for trailering.  The boat cover was just used for storage and really didn't feel the need to spend big bucks on an ultra custom tight fitting cover.

Yes I have the cockpit and bow snap in covers, but rain/road spray are not prevented from getting into the bow between the snaps during travel. I would like a cover that wraps down over the sides of the boat to prevent this.

3 minutes ago, Ronbill said:

Yes I have the cockpit and bow snap in covers, but rain/road spray are not prevented from getting into the bow between the snaps during travel. I would like a cover that wraps down over the sides of the boat to prevent this.

fair enough. 

Ensuring the safety of our boat through boat covers is a good way to keep it strong and look as new as it could be. When it comes to the summer season, most the people want to have a boat party with family and friends. Last year my friend had purchased a new boat for his birthday party which was shipped by a professional boat transport service. But as I said that it was summer until he had bought a new boat cover which fits the boat well and does not have any gaps. So, I think you should go through online sites and search for the best boat covers that can fit out your boat because to experience joy for years, it is very important to take essential care of the boat so that it does not fade away due to wear and tear caused due to exposure to harsh conditions.

Your probably going to find two types of trailerable covers out there today, the ones that secure with a single perimeter ratchet strap and those that strap down to the trailer frame. Generally the perimeter strap styles are more expensive. I have the strap to the trailer style and it works fine, would probably prefer the perimeter style, but I didn't want to spend the $400 deer. Mine is Sunbrella it works good, have also had Sharkskin on my past boat. I like the Sunbrella better. I wish I knew more on the other fabrics you mentioned.  Both just wrapped under the swim platform and were secured with a strap. Whatever choice you make make sure they fit tight and that you have a good support system underneath to keep the water shedding off.

Chaparral doesn't recommend trailering with the bow & cockpit cover because of the vacuum effect it has causing stress on the snaps & seams .I looked online at covers but felt leary about how well they would fit. For this reason plus a few more I'm opting for a custom cover through a local canvas shop. It will cover bow to swim platform and down past the color on the sides. I was told by the canvas guy that Sunbrella Plus is the best on the market right now.