Chaparral1

Bimini Reinstallation on Arch

When reinstalling the Bimini after refinishing the arch have you guys used the existing holes or do you create new ones?

If say if the screws tighten down good don't drill anymore holes.  (Also if they're a little loose I'd get a bit wider screw) I don't like adding holes when not necessary

I second not making more holes, if the screws came out clean and the holes are clean use the same ones.  Depending on the material like if its wood you can use wood glue when screwing, metal or fiber glass probably some sort of epoxy, but just know doing that you might not ever get them back out

Old / new way to create strong new threads in a worn out hole. If the bottom is closed. I have cleaned the screw / bolt threadsof any bits in the threads. Then cleaned the threads with a old tooth brush & Acetone to get them VERY CLEAN.  IF THE SCREW IS CHEWED UP ?  Replace it now.   Then brush WHEEL BEARING grease onto the threads and the rest of the screw head surfaces.  Remove all excess grease. You just want them VERY lightly coated to PREVENT     epoxy from sticking to them later.........Cleanout the hole. Mix up some epoxy. Coat the screw threads with some. Dipped of brushed on the threads. Then add a little into the hole. Put the screw in to the hole. Keep adding a little epoxy & testing with the screw    UNTIL you have a full hole with the screw in the hole.  let it set up very firm. It then back the screw out to make sure ............IT IS NOT STUCK TO THE EPOXY.......If free ?  Screw it back in & let fully harden.

You obviously do several tests of this on scrap to get VERY SURE how to do it.

13 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Old / new way to create strong new threads in a worn out hole. If the bottom is closed. I have cleaned the screw / bolt threadsof any bits in the threads. Then cleaned the threads with a old tooth brush & Acetone to get them VERY CLEAN.  IF THE SCREW IS CHEWED UP ?  Replace it now.   Then brush WHEEL BEARING grease onto the threads and the rest of the screw head surfaces.  Remove all excess grease. You just want them VERY lightly coated to PREVENT     epoxy from sticking to them later.........Cleanout the hole. Mix up some epoxy. Coat the screw threads with some. Dipped of brushed on the threads. Then add a little into the hole. Put the screw in to the hole. Keep adding a little epoxy & testing with the screw    UNTIL you have a full hole with the screw in the hole.  let it set up very firm. It then back the screw out to make sure ............IT IS NOT STUCK TO THE EPOXY.......If free ?  Screw it back in & let fully harden.

You obviously do several tests of this on scrap to get VERY SURE how to do it.

again situation dependent, wood dowls or shims can be used.

Good call on different types of dowels. We have used hard wood, aluminum, S S rods.  Whatever you can shape & glue into place.  More than 1 time we changed from a tapered screw to a COURSE THREADED bolt. Worked after tapping in new threads.

Lots of ways to solve stripped threads.  Think & try a few different ways.