Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King Harbor

Chaparral Fuel Tank Leaks

2 posts in this topic

I own a Chaparral Signature 31 with less than 300 hours on it that is defueled and sitting in its slip with a fuel tank that spontaneously leaked over 50 gallons into the rear and forward bilge areas. I have been trying to contact someone at Chaparral Boats for advise and assistance for over two weeks without reply except to refer me to the local dealer who said he could not help, but would ask the manufacturer to contact me. Still nothing.  Does anyone know  how to contact someone at Chaparral who cares, and stands behind their product?  Any help would be appreciated. My understanding now is that the approximately 6' X 5' tank is only 1/8th inch thick (as opposed to 3/16th inch which would make it safer and 50% more-resistant to corrosion), made of unpainted/unprimed/untreated aluminum and therefore highly prone to corrosion and developing holes near the bottom surface. Before this, my understanding  was that  Chaparral's larger boats were made to be safe and compatible with salt-water/sea operation. Now I'm really beginning to doubt that. 

That is the standard tank construction practice other than the newer plastic tanks. You dont list a year but if less than 5 years old I would say the manufacturer should pick up the tab. Only other reason would be a puncture from an errant screw or a bad gasket for the tank sender. Have you checked all hose clamps and fuel lines for damage?