brclark82

Which lakes would you travel 5+ hours for?

15 posts in this topic

I live in Central IL and love spending time on my local lakes around here (Clinton and Shelbyville mainly), but I would never recommend someone traveling too far to visit them.  That's how this list differs from the favorite lakes thread.

With that being said we love to travel and usually make a trip to LOTO (5hrs) or TRL (6hrs) every year (this year we will be visiting each lake on separate trips). I would like to give other areas a try but at the same time it needs to be worth the trip.

We are 2 1/2 hours northwest of Clinton Lake, have been wondering if it would be worth a day trip. We boat on the Mississippi usually, but would like to know if there are any restaurants on the lake and any other recommendations of the area.  

Lake Springfield, Carlyle, and Rend would be others close to you but don't know much about them.

There is one restaurant on Clinton Lake called Boondocks that has solid food (burgers are awesome), but the boat docking situation is a disaster so we usually just run in and get it to go while someone circles around.  Amazing fishing, and a decent public beach. It's ok for water sports too.  We enjoy it there, but like I said nothing so special I'd recommend someone spending multiple days on vacation or something. Not sure Id drive 2.5 hours to visit, but maybe once just to see what it's like for myself.

I wasnt necessarily looking for me specifically, I was just curious in general where have people gone that they would travel a long distance to go back to if necessary. It could be anywhere.

I noticed from the favorite lakes thread that Norris Lake, Laurel Lake, Dale Hollow Lake, Torch Lake are all popular...but the question is, would you travel a long enough distance that you'd have to spend a couple days there at least to make it worth it?

Thanks!  We might try it some weekend if the river is high this spring. 

We have done a week at LOTO the last two years. This year we are going to Torch Lake for a week and just doing a weekend at LOTO. Another one I want to try is Table Rock Lake and possibly a long weekend at Mark Twain Lake. 

We drove from Rolla, MO to Lake Norris for a Crownline event and would go there again. Very nice water. Going to Kentucky Lake in July and have never been there.

Bullshoals Lake is a great lake to boat on. Very clear and no waves like Lake of the Ozark. There's just not much to do around the lake, if that's what you're looking for too. We spend more time on the water, so that works for us. We enjoy Lake Ozark more during the week, but  it's always going to be busier & and choppier. We spend more of our time on Tablerock and really enjoy it there. But that gives "options" for the rest of the group when they need an evening outing. 

DW

We've been to Table Rock, Ky Lake, Shelbyville, LOTO. We prefer LOTO because of the Restaurants, were's Lunch or dinner today. And We still spend a lot of time playing on the water.

Ultimate road trip would be Lake Powell, again. Would take the boat there in a heart beat.

Its prob 8hrs for you but you should seriously look at Dale Hollow TN and Cumberland KY.  

0682efa676ec2798e7b397ef44aa2016_zpsdaxs

DSCF1441_zps2ad4a917.jpg

DSC_0044_zps5ad3a54f.jpg

We are talking about Lake Norris next year, late June first week in July.

4 hours ago, Toddler said:

We are talking about Lake Norris next year, late June first week in July.

Good choice!

Well so far Norris is the only lake mentioned further than 6 hours away from me (8hrs to Norris).  We usually take 2 longer trips a year, maybe a third if the weather cooperates, so I'll have to check out some of these places.

oh yeah, Powell is also a little further than 8hrs lol

I would recommend the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior....on calm days.  :D  I have been and plan on returning again with the new boat.  Well worth the drive IMO.  The little town on Madeline Island is really freakin cool, and Tom's Burned Down Café is always worth a visit!

We're going to Dale Hollow the third week of July.  Excited to check it out. Heard great things.