Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary Lowe

1994 SS Sport with Volvo Duoprop

6 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

I have a 1994 SS Sport with Ford V8 (190 HP, 305) with Volvo Duoprop outdrive.  Yesterday the boat started making a terrible sound coming from the flywheel housing or the upper gear case. It would vibrate the entire boat.

10 years ago the bearing inside the flywheel housing went out and the flywheel housing was damaged. Instead of replacing the housing which would have required pulling the engine a sealed bearing was jb welded inside the housing.  This has worked well for along time, but now I hearing these bad noises. 

If the problem is with this bearing, I will need to find a replacement flywheel housing. I don't think I can get a new one, it would have to be used. Can anyone advised me where I might find one?  I am not even sure of the part number.  Or maybe offer some ideas of other causes.  I am not going do any work on the boat.  I will take it to a mechanic but he has already told me that we will need to find a flywheel housing if it needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Gary Lowe said:

Gentlemen,

I have a 1994 SS Sport with Ford V8 (190 HP, 305) with Volvo Duoprop outdrive.  Yesterday the boat started making a terrible sound coming from the flywheel housing or the upper gear case. It would vibrate the entire boat.

10 years ago the bearing inside the flywheel housing went out and the flywheel housing was damaged. Instead of replacing the housing which would have required pulling the engine a sealed bearing was jb welded inside the housing.  This has worked well for along time, but now I hearing these bad noises. 

If the problem is with this bearing, I will need to find a replacement flywheel housing. I don't think I can get a new one, it would have to be used. Can anyone advised me where I might find one?  I am not even sure of the part number.  Or maybe offer some ideas of other causes.  I am not going do any work on the boat.  I will take it to a mechanic but he has already told me that we will need to find a flywheel housing if it needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

No bearing in the flywheel housing, just the coupler and flywheel. Coupler failures typically result in loss of propulsion all together. Sounds like you failed either a universal joint or gimble bearing or perhaps both. If the housing for the bearing is bad as you have indicated, then you will need to find a gimbel housing, which is actually the outer transom plate. Drive and engine removal will be required and out drive input shaft bearing carrier and bearing set should also be carefully inspected along with bellows.  W

10 years ago the bearing inside the flywheel housing went out and the flywheel housing was damaged. Instead of replacing the housing which would have required pulling the engine a sealed bearing was jb welded inside the housing.

That sounds like the wrong way to do the right job and now your going to pay for it in full. It 22 years old and guessing it went bad 10 years ago form what?

Water intrusion /destroyed gimbal bearing/ rusted U joints? So you throw a sealed bearing in and hope for the best?

Considering Ford is no longer in the marine business you might consider a newer donor boat in either Volvo or Mercruiser

23 hours ago, Wingnut said:

No bearing in the flywheel housing, just the coupler and flywheel. Coupler failures typically result in loss of propulsion all together. Sounds like you failed either a universal joint or gimble bearing or perhaps both. If the housing for the bearing is bad as you have indicated, then you will need to find a gimbel housing, which is actually the outer transom plate. Drive and engine removal will be required and out drive input shaft bearing carrier and bearing set should also be carefully inspected along with bellows.  W

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, it was both the universal joint and gimble bearing.  I need to find the housing for this part. When I look in the Volvo Stern Drive Shop Manual it just show the a flywheel cover. It has a nipple protruding towards the stern drive and I believe this must be where the gimble bearing is located, but it doesn't use the word gimble. 

Any idea on how I can correctly indentify the part number. Names of companies that sell used parts online.

Gary

21 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

10 years ago the bearing inside the flywheel housing went out and the flywheel housing was damaged. Instead of replacing the housing which would have required pulling the engine a sealed bearing was jb welded inside the housing.

That sounds like the wrong way to do the right job and now your going to pay for it in full. It 22 years old and guessing it went bad 10 years ago form what?

Water intrusion /destroyed gimbal bearing/ rusted U joints? So you throw a sealed bearing in and hope for the best?

Considering Ford is no longer in the marine business you might consider a newer donor boat in either Volvo or Mercruiser

Yes, we didn't want to pull the engine and so a sealed bearing was jb welded in place. I don't know remember if there was water intrusion or not but I do remember that the bearing was not getting greased.  I don't think we ever knew about the grease fittings. I am considering getting a another boat, but would if I can find this part I may opt for a repair. I think the engine is good so I might fix this issue if I can find the housing. 

Thanks for responding.  Do you know of a good online part store?  I need to identify the part number also and that is not something I have been able to do yet.

Gary

29 minutes ago, Gary Lowe said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, it was both the universal joint and gimble bearing.  I need to find the housing for this part. When I look in the Volvo Stern Drive Shop Manual it just show the a flywheel cover. It has a nipple protruding towards the stern drive and I believe this must be where the gimble bearing is located, but it doesn't use the word gimble. 

Any idea on how I can correctly indentify the part number. Names of companies that sell used parts online.

Gary

The nipple you see is the splined female half of the engine coupler that the out drive input shaft slides into. Your issue is behind that at the transom. No used parts options I am aware of, but what you need is the exterior transom plate. I do not work on Volvo as I don't have to. Ha... Parts identification and sourcing is a nightmare. The bearing gets driven into that housing and when the drive is re-installed the splined drive shaft gets sliped through the bearing on it's way to the coupler. First you must identify your power plant by it's unique Volvo model number and serial number. Then I would send a PM to Shepherd and he will look at his dealer database and give you the actual part numbers you will need. You may find used or old stock on e-bay. Good luck, and know that the installation is not something to attempt without the proper OEM manuals as the transom gets sandwiched between the transom plate on the inboard side and the gimbel housing on the outboard side. Proper gasketing, sealants, and engine alignment upon re-installation is a must as are some specialized tools.  W