1slowhoe

Greers Ferry AR Marina suggestions

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I am moving to West Little Rock in June. I want to put my boat in a slip at Greers ferry. Looks to be 9 marinas on that lake. They all seem to be about the same driving distance from home, give or take 20 mins. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation or one to avoid. I have a place for my trailer and do not need a lift in the slip. Boat is 24 feet long. Would like to have a power outlet for battery tender if possible.

Chris

No, always on a trailer. Any tips?

(other than a few days to a week when visiting different places, then I usually rent a slip)

Well, my tip would be to get a lift.  :)

Your hull will get very gross, very quickly sitting in a slip.  The cruiser owners here can give a lot more insight.  Many of them end up bottom painting.  Personally, I wouldn't slip without a lift, but that's me.  We were able to find a slip with lift that a guy was vacating for a larger one.  We bought the used lift from him; rent the slip.  LOVE the convenience and being high and dry!

P1010984.jpg

Lifts are nice, but it looks like you already have your bottom painted. If the boat sits in the water it will still get growth around the water line which I spend some time brushing when we go out. Expect to have the bottom redone every 3 to 4 years. If the lake  has zebra mussels that is something else you will have to deal with.

When picking a marina you will want a slip that is covered and with power. You will also want a marina that has a mechanic/shop. Fuel dock is also nice to have. 

I believe the OP's boat has a bottom hull paint color, not a growth inhibiting coating.

Certainly easier to lift a 23' bow rider than a 33' cruiser!  I don't envy you wet slip guys . . .

There is a lot more maintenance to have a boat wet slipped, but I use the boat a lot more. I spend a couple of days a week at the boat, couldn't do that if I had to have it put in each time.

I am considering just wet slipping for the season and putting it back on the trailer for winter storage. I have a storage unit that it will fit in, but I don't want to trailer every weekend. I'm not sure because I hate to pay $1,800 for a year and only slip it June through September.

The boat has blue paint under the gel coat or blue gel coat or whatever. It hasn't been treated with anything, factory finish.

If I were to go with a lift, for the slip, what brand do you guys like? Where can I look at pre-owned lifts to compare with a new lift?

HydroHoist, I believe, is a good quality brand. Mine is an Econolift.  Make sure to look at models rated for your boat's weight. They're pretty simple really.  I'm told the motor is basically the same as a vacuum cleaner motor.

I'd start with calling various Marina managers.  You might get lucky; we did. Craigslist also, of course.

I consider the expense to be well worth it.  Your expensive boat stays looking nice and the convenience is wonderful; especially on holidays!

On 5/5/2017 at 11:23 PM, 1slowhoe said:

I am considering just wet slipping for the season and putting it back on the trailer for winter storage. I have a storage unit that it will fit in, but I don't want to trailer every weekend. I'm not sure because I hate to pay $1,800 for a year and only slip it June through September.

The boat has blue paint under the gel coat or blue gel coat or whatever. It hasn't been treated with anything, factory finish.

All the marinas that I have had boats at required the 1 year contract. Some would let you pay the first and last month and then pay monthly, but it was still a one year contract. It is not a good deal for the marina to just rent a slip for the summer so they don't do it. 

Exactly. I'd pay for the year but only have the boat in the slip for 4 or 5 months. Next year it would be a little better probably because, for example, today it's 85 and sunny I could be on the lake.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, 1slowhoe said:

Hey everyone,

I am moving to West Little Rock in June. I want to put my boat in a slip at Greers ferry. Looks to be 9 marinas on that lake. They all seem to be about the same driving distance from home, give or take 20 mins. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation or one to avoid. I have a place for my trailer and do not need a lift in the slip. Boat is 24 feet long. Would like to have a power outlet for battery tender if possible.

Chris

Love Greers Ferry!  Practically grew up on that lake!  Nice clear waters.  We trailered though so I don't have a lot of experience with the marinas.  I know Lacy's Narrows Marina seemed to be a favorite (or at least popular).  We always launched and camped at Shiloh, but again...never really used the marina.  Do a Google search and read the reviews.  That should help a bit.