Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speelty

oil drive 2001 ssi 220

4 posts in this topic

Wondering what oil to use to change in drive  220SSI. ( 2001) They charge me way too much ( $76 per gallon). wondering if there is no substitute. 

I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in my Volvo SX outdrive. 3 bottles @ 10 deer each.

Both the Volvo and Merc Bravo drives use a cone clutch and the lubricant used needs to have a friction modifier in it's additive package in order to assure proper clutch lock-up engagement. Mobil-1 is fine for a Merc Alpha drive as it has a simple mechanical dog clutch. Another consideration is the addition of an emulsifier which is unique to marine gear oils. Normal engine and gear oils will use de-mulsifiers  which allow any free moisture to drop out of suspension and lie in the very bottom of the drive axle or engine oil pan, As the amount of water is minimal, the water can sit there harmlessly until the next oil change or the next heat cycle simply drives it out through the top vent. In an out drive there is no vent, and the oil compounders blend in an additive that allows the water and oil to mix so that if a seal leak occurs allowing for sea water intrusion, the entire drive will at least get some level of rudimentary lubrication. If you chose an automotive gear oil the water will settle out at the lower end of the gear case, and your prop shaft and output shaft bearings and gear set will likely be sitting in pure sea water until you discover the leak. If it were me I'd purchase the bulk Merc High Performance gear lube in the 2.5 gallon container. Available on-line for less than 100 beans and you will be covered for years. If you search this topic here you will find Volvo DP owners who have failed their cone clutch drives by using an aftermarket synthetic gear oil. Hey, I worked for Mobil for almost 40 years and I use nothing but Mobil-1 15w-50 in my 8.1, but in the drive you can't beat the Merc HP gear lube. W