tbuck1990

1993 chaparral 1900 sl engine/sterndrive?

Hi I got this boat on trade and was wondering if anyone has info on motor and sterndrive info.

-I was told motor is a 4.3 Chevy motor so I thought it would be a merccruiser but both motor and stern drive say Yamaha?

-I was told you can't find parts for sterndrive?

-could you bolt up a merccruiser sterndrive?

-would I be better off selling boat and getting something similar with a for sure merccruiser on it?

-with boating season right around the corner looking to figure out something and jump on it! 

*Anyone's thoughts greatly appreciated I just don't want something that a year from now brakes down and then have no parts to fix boats available and have to do a complete motor swap. I would rather sell it now than later*

Go to The Hull Truth web site, and type in Yamaha stern drive, they have some posts on there and that should answer your questions.  Denny.

1 hour ago, tbuck1990 said:

My main concern is finding parts for stern

Take it from a guy that did a complete restoration on a Mercury equipped boat. Before I acquired that boat, I researched a couple others, namely a Volvo setup and a Yamaha setup. There were little to no parts listed on eBay for either of those two brands but for the Mercury/Mercruiser, there were literally TONS of options. So in my opinion, if you are a DIY guy, stay away from anything other than Mercury/Mercruiser.....unless you are prepared to pay top price at the local marine dealership for the parts you need. Not saying that one brand is better than another but that parts availability is certainly an issue you should consider.

If it says Yamaha on the drive, thats a tough one to find parts for, as far as the engine is concerned it`s a GM block with a different color paint , manifolds  and risers