Sign in to follow this  
takeahiketour

Volvo Penta Alarm Question

Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI, 2011 206 SSI. I had an alarm go off and red alarm light came on when I accelerated past about 3800 RPM. Yellow check engine light did not come on. Kicked throttle back to neutral and alarm stopped immediately and light turned off. Ran it up to 3500 rpm's and alarm did not go off again, but I was hesitant to push the RPM's past that for fear of setting the alarm back off. Any thoughts on causes before I drag it in for an engine scan? I asked my mechanic and he said might be nothing, keep running it and see if it happens again. Thanks everyone!

Solid Alarm ?  1 Beep? , Two Beeps?

Check main connection on engine wiring harness, check positive battery connection and check starter connection.

5 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Solid Alarm ?  1 Beep? , Two Beeps?

Check main connection on engine wiring harness, check positive battery connection and check starter connection.

Thanks! It was a solid beep. When I returned to neutral, the beep stopped and light turned off. I did just install an amp and subwoofer which involved putting the amp's power wire to the battery - that would make sense, except I still wouldn't understand why it kicked in at the higher RPM's.

Volvo's ECM is very picky.  That's why they recommend a starting battery for the engine.  Was the stereo on when this happened?  You might have run into a low voltage issue and the ECM was shutting down.  Check your batteries health and connections.

1 hour ago, The Great Escape II said:

Volvo's ECM is very picky.  That's why they recommend a starting battery for the engine.  Was the stereo on when this happened?  You might have run into a low voltage issue and the ECM was shutting down.  Check your batteries health and connections.

Thank you! Stereo was on so I'll start tonight by checking connections and increasing RPM's with the stereo off and see if it happens again.