Ponyboy96

New boat and things I've already learned

50 posts in this topic

Just picked up the new boat yesterday. Purchased about 3 weeks ago and finally got to bring it home after waiting for the dealer to install some items. 

I thought I had negotiated in the deal everything I'd need to get out on the water for my first time this weekend, but nope. 

First things I've learned:

1. New boats are expensive - lol. Yeah all the little things it doesn't come with. Transom tied down straps, flares, other little things like cleaning supplies, etc...

2.  West marine - good in a pinch, but ridiculously overpriced. Yep learned that already. Probably spent $400 there in the last couple days. Wife is not pleased. 

3. Wife doesn't like it when you buy things for the boat. What I thought was a family thing, turned into "my toy" during any cross discussion about it. Lesson learned: hide anything you spend on it. 

4. I need to get some land and open my own boat storage business. Omg these places are pricey for what you are getting and none are close to me (30 min drive)  

Taking it out for the first time on Saturday and hopefully again on Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some other things to add. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only $400 ... you are for a big surprise if you have not researched yet boat operational and maintenance costs.

B.O.A.T ... search for the meaning of this acronym ... and good luck with hiding these costs from your wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Richard W said:

Only $400 ... you are for a big surprise if you have not researched yet boat operational and maintenance costs.

B.O.A.T ... search for the meaning of this acronym ... and good luck with hiding these costs from your wife.

I'm familiar with it.  Just the little things.  I do about 95% of my own work on all vehicles I own (cars, race car, atvs, etc...).  I learn and read all that I can. I knew it was going to be expensive, just kind of shocked at the cost of some items like anchor line and chain, boat wash...the kind of things you would think wouldn't be that expensive adds up quick.  Got some stuff from walmart so that saved some cash over west marine.  I didn't skimp on the important stuff like anchor lines, dock lines, bumpers, life jackets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOL when I read #3!!  It's OUR boat when she's talking to people and telling fun stories.  But when something needs to be fixed or purchased, it's suddenly MY toy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I LOL when I read #3!!  It's OUR boat when she's talking to people and telling fun stories.  But when something needs to be fixed or purchased, it's suddenly MY toy!!

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I LOL when I read #3!!  It's OUR boat when she's talking to people and telling fun stories.  But when something needs to be fixed or purchased, it's suddenly MY toy!!

I know right!  Must be a woman thing. Then again, when the kids are being ridiculously unruly I do say go deal with your kids. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

I know right!  Must be a woman thing. Then again, when the kids are being ridiculously unruly I do say go deal with your kids. Haha

Ha ha, yes, I say that too!!!  LMAO  Or when the dog makes a mess,  I say "go clean up after YOUR dog"!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the club, we have all experienced some if not all of you statements above. Hopefully it will get better, hopefully she will come to love boating as much as you do and better accept some of the negatives associated with it. What model of Chap did you get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

Welcome to the club, we have all experienced some if not all of you statements above. Hopefully it will get better, hopefully she will come to love boating as much as you do and better accept some of the negatives associated with it. What model of Chap did you get?

I got a 21' H2O ski fish with the 150 Yamaha outboard. Taking it out for the first time (other than the quick demo) this Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ColdOne said:

+1

Oh, and don't forget how the wife wants to learn to dock the boat to impress other boaters, but never want's to learn to change the oil, fuel filters, belts, plugs, pumps, septic duck bills and on and on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Weekend At Bernie's said:

Oh, and don't forget how the wife wants to learn to dock the boat to impress other boaters, but never want's to learn to change the oil, fuel filters, belts, plugs, pumps, septic duck bills and on and on...

That will probably be me. Except I'll have to launch by myself, dock, and recover by myself, etc...  I just hope people at the ramps are a little patient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2 of you will do fine.

You do not want to limit your allowance when you save money doing your own maint.  We / I started a fun fund. Each time we save a service call or buying a not needed replacement part or item.  That money goes in to the FUN ACCOUNT.  It is a real account. We celebrate with a nice dinner out. No penny pinching.

Does wonders .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 4:15 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

Just picked up the new boat yesterday. Purchased about 3 weeks ago and finally got to bring it home after waiting for the dealer to install some items. 

I thought I had negotiated in the deal everything I'd need to get out on the water for my first time this weekend, but nope. 

First things I've learned:

1. New boats are expensive - lol. Yeah all the little things it doesn't come with. Transom tied down straps, flares, other little things like cleaning supplies, etc...

2.  West marine - good in a pinch, but ridiculously overpriced. Yep learned that already. Probably spent $400 there in the last couple days. Wife is not pleased. 

3. Wife doesn't like it when you buy things for the boat. What I thought was a family thing, turned into "my toy" during any cross discussion about it. Lesson learned: hide anything you spend on it. 

4. I need to get some land and open my own boat storage business. Omg these places are pricey for what you are getting and none are close to me (30 min drive)  

Taking it out for the first time on Saturday and hopefully again on Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some other things to add. 

Try defender.com, there a lot cheaper! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Iggy said:

Try defender.com, there a lot cheaper! 

Thanks!  I figured there was somewhere. Any idea where to get an extra drain plug other than the dealer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drain plug?? You mean the one in the transom? Hardware store / Home depot / Lowes. It's just a 1/2" NPT plug. Brass ones with the square head can be had for about 2 bucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pops said:

Drain plug?? You mean the one in the transom? Hardware store / Home depot / Lowes. It's just a 1/2" NPT plug. Brass ones with the square head can be had for about 2 bucks

Yes that one. The H2O plug is plastic though. Wouldn't the brass one mess up the plastic threads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a 1/2" NPT plastic plug at the same places, also. The brass would be fine, as long as you add some Teflon tape to the plug threads and don't overly tighten the plug. Being nice and "snug" is fine it won't fall out. Been using "nice and snug" for better than 40 years and haven't had one fall out yet.

Use Teflon tape on any plug you choose to insert into the plastic fitting. That will lubricate the threads with Teflon and help prevent "galling" the threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 4:15 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

Just picked up the new boat yesterday. Purchased about 3 weeks ago and finally got to bring it home after waiting for the dealer to install some items. 

 

Taking it out for the first time on Saturday and hopefully again on Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some other things to add. 

Sunday is Mother's Day. You might want to rethink your float plan...

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brick said:

Sunday is Mother's Day. You might want to rethink your float plan...

brick

Yep. Didn't go out today. Went out yesterday and did some fishing. We got poured on and called it a day. Only caught 1. Found out the drain plug for the livewell doesn't fit. Found a smaller one at Walmart that should hopefully work. Other than that boat ran great and was a lot of fun.

Leasons learned yesterday:

1.  Rain gear is a must have on the boat. I got soaked driving back to the dock. The Bimini top doesn't cover the dash  

2.  When fishing with the family (2 small kids) I learned they fish while you end up not and getting them untangled, re-rigged, etc...

3.  Wife said she liked to fish. I didn't believe her. Learned that she's actually a better fisherman than I am. She used to go with her step dad all the time and that guy spends all day watching fishing shows. So yeah, she knew a lot more than I did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

 

3.  Wife said she liked to fish. I didn't believe her. Learned that she's actually a better fisherman than I am. She used to go with her step dad all the time and that guy spends all day watching fishing shows. So yeah, she knew a lot more than I did. 

She may be a keeper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West marine is the worst on pricing but nobody else locally has everything in one spot.  You pay for the convenience of not having to order off of the internet.  First boat was like you explain but the second one wife stopped caring.  Been there, done that on the whole fishing thing.  It ends up I do all of the bait and fish removal for the kids and wife....we no longer fish.  Wait until they hook your upholstery.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

West marine is the worst on pricing but nobody else locally has everything in one spot.  You pay for the convenience of not having to order off of the internet.  First boat was like you explain but the second one wife stopped caring.  Been there, done that on the whole fishing thing.  It ends up I do all of the bait and fish removal for the kids and wife....we no longer fish.  Wait until they hook your upholstery.  

Yep you pay for the convenience. I get it and that's fine. 

On the fishing, yeah the wife grabbed my new bass rod to fish with leaving me with the old crappy Walmart special that she said were fine. I was helping the little one with casting and learning what to do. Fortunately for me, my wife  grew up fishing and can bait and remove her own. She's better than me fishing actually, don't tell her I said that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Yep you pay for the convenience. I get it and that's fine. 

On the fishing, yeah the wife grabbed my new bass rod to fish with leaving me with the old crappy Walmart special that she said were fine. I was helping the little one with casting and learning what to do. Fortunately for me, my wife  grew up fishing and can bait and remove her own. She's better than me fishing actually, don't tell her I said that. 

Yeah...when my boys were little and we had our previous but newer Chaparral than our current, we didn't have the extended swim platform and even if they baited their own hooks, nobody could reach the water to swish the worm dirt off their hands. Straight Bowriders are the worst for fishing for so many reasons.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now