Ponyboy96

New boat and things I've already learned

50 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Yeah...when my boys were little and we had our previous but newer Chaparral than our current, we didn't have the extended swim platform and even if they baited their own hooks, nobody could reach the water to swish the worm dirt off their hands. Straight Bowriders are the worst for fishing for so many reasons.    

I hadn't even considered that fact, not being able to reach the water.  We're taking a new '16 H2O S&F for a test ride on Monday, so I'll have to check that out.  Will be our first boat, and I'm kinda having to compromise for the family, haha. 

It took just a few times fishing on our previous Chap to realize modern bowriders are just too tall to reach the water for kids and even some adults.  Then, because it is a new boat, and kids are, well kids, every time they cast they almost hook a seat and suddenly the fishing becomes stressful because you know how insanely expensive a seat reupholster job costs and you had to work hard to pay for the boat and money fits into the category of a scarce commodity.  I'd be looking at something used and paying 60% of new but that because it is used it is only a few years old and still in perfect shape because the previous owner misunderstood that boating is more work than anticipated and there was less time for it than he hoped and of course in certain states there is no sales tax on used boats from private parties which can be thousands of dollars of savings depending on the sales tax rate.  

That said, we don't fish at all in our current Chap, just off of our dock, and am thinking of adding an actual fishing only boat designed only for fishing to the fleet to put on a lift in front of the house.  

10 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

It took just a few times fishing on our previous Chap to realize modern bowriders are just too tall to reach the water for kids and even some adults.  Then, because it is a new boat, and kids are, well kids, every time they cast they almost hook a seat and suddenly the fishing becomes stressful because you know how insanely expensive a seat reupholster job costs and you had to work hard to pay for the boat and money fits into the category of a scarce commodity.  I'd be looking at something used and paying 60% of new but that because it is used it is only a few years old and still in perfect shape because the previous owner misunderstood that boating is more work than anticipated and there was less time for it than he hoped and of course in certain states there is no sales tax on used boats from private parties which can be thousands of dollars of savings depending on the sales tax rate.  

That said, we don't fish at all in our current Chap, just off of our dock, and am thinking of adding an actual fishing only boat designed only for fishing to the fleet to put on a lift in front of the house.  

Ugh, man that creeps me out!  My wife and I were talking about hooking the seats.  The other contender is a 2017 Ranger Reata...a lot more money though.  Still has nice seats, but doesn't have cushions all over the boat.  Just not sure if I want to sacrifice the # of persons capacity since we have friends/family/little cousins in the area.  

2 minutes ago, CL300 said:

Ugh, man that creeps me out!  My wife and I were talking about hooking the seats.  The other contender is a 2017 Ranger Reata...a lot more money though.  Still has nice seats, but doesn't have cushions all over the boat.  Just not sure if I want to sacrifice the # of persons capacity since we have friends/family/little cousins in the area.  

It's just the reality of having kids and nice things.  Just wait until someone has a treble hook on. I once came home when my oldest boy was little and he snuck out into the garage with his match box car and scratched every square inch of one of my cars in the garage with the sharp corner of the car as though he was coloring.  He even got on his tippy toes to scratch the hood above his head even though he couldn't even see it.   A hook in the seats is nothing compared to a nearly new car's paint job completely destroyed. Both of those boats will be susceptible but a Ranger while a fantastic species boat, makes a poor family boat and has almost no deadrise by comparison.   The fun part is when you have to save up a hundred k for each of them to go to college and not even a fancy college at that.  Kids.... 

On 5/18/2017 at 11:14 AM, Chaparral Rider said:

Yeah...when my boys were little and we had our previous but newer Chaparral than our current, we didn't have the extended swim platform and even if they baited their own hooks, nobody could reach the water to swish the worm dirt off their hands. Straight Bowriders are the worst for fishing for so many reasons.    

We got the h2o ski fish. Seems to do fine. Raw water wash down would be nice to have though. I'll probably add that at some point. 

37 minutes ago, Ponyboy96 said:

We got the h2o ski fish. Seems to do fine. Raw water wash down would be nice to have though. I'll probably add that at some point. 

Yeah...the ski and fish or fish and ski of other brands are much more conducive to fishing.  You'd catch fish in a standard bowrider and have no place to put the fish other than a stringer.  

I'm concerned with mounting of electronics.  I'm going to replace the standard trolling motor with an iPilot or similar-type of motor, but the H2O 19 has limited room on the console.  Whatever I new FF/chartplotter I get, I'm sure it will be on a RAM mount/arm probably.  We wanted an H2O 21 SF, but our dealer can't/won't get one.  <_<  It had a bit more room to mount stuff.  

2 minutes ago, CL300 said:

I'm concerned with mounting of electronics. has limited room on the console.   

Ahhh yeah....join the group.  

1 minute ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Ahhh yeah....join the group.  

CR, what do/did you have on your boat?  I'm looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 or Humminbird Helix 7-sized units.  Might go to a 9, if space fits.  I'm going to try to find a book, or cut a piece of wood to size to take to the boat and eyeball it. 

On my previous Chap, given I didn't fish much, I had a pretty basic Humminbird that I didn't even permanently mount.  Don't recall the model.  Current Chap, we don't fish out of at all so nothing in there.  

Here's another question.  I feel like my local dealer is feeding me BS...

They said that if I bought my boat at another Chaparral dealer, that I would be required to take it to that dealer for any warranty repair work.  Is that correct?  They couldn't get that 21' boat we wanted, so I think they were worried I would drive down and buy it at the dealer that had it (3 hrs away).  That's not really something I wanted to do anyway, but the fact they told me that (if false) kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Well, yes.....but.....   They have to do the warranty work.  

Here is were the but is!! They can say that they need to take care of their customers first and that you need to wait. I get it to a degree, I buy a 50 to 100K boat and something happens. Big bucks and I want it fixed!  As the dealer, I want return business and I just made 5 to 10% of that! You spent nothing here.........

ALSO, this depends on the contract between dealer and manufacturer. Call Chap too and see what they have to say. I bet the above holds true. 

17 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Well, yes.....but.....   They have to do the warranty work.  

Here is were the but is!! They can say that they need to take care of their customers first and that you need to wait. I get it to a degree, I buy a 50 to 100K boat and something happens. Big bucks and I want it fixed!  As the dealer, I want return business and I just made 5 to 10% of that! You spent nothing here.........

ALSO, this depends on the contract between dealer and manufacturer. Call Chap too and see what they have to say. I bet the above holds true. 

Personally I think if its like this that it's a terrible way to treat a customer and more over a crappy business plan and I'd be spending money on a brand that backs their product fairly at any of their dealers.  Just say'n

Sounds like strong-arm tactics to me. Some dealers will go to great lengths to sell from stock.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, Auggie said:

Personally I think if its like this that it's a terrible way to treat a customer and more over a crappy business plan and I'd be spending money on a brand that backs their product fairly at any of their dealers.  Just say'n

Just to set the record straight. I know SeaRay & Crownline are the same way. Its really the dealer ship!! Not Chap, Searay, Crownline and maybe others.

Called Searay on this. I wanted to buy a boat from another dealer and have the local dealer service it. Rearay said that they must do the work, but they have the right to take there own customers first. Which this goes back to what I mentioned.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Futzin' said:

Sounds like strong-arm tactics to me. Some dealers will go to great lengths to sell from stock.

Of course!! They want that boat gone. Its money tied up.

I bought my boat 2 years old going on 3 in there yard. I got about 35% off, or about 10% off for used ones of that year. 

Competition is good for the buyer. Since I don't own a dealership I'll have to take the buyers side.  I only buy a new vehicle every 3 years or so and I go where I get the best deal and service. I really don't see where boats should be any different.  One the the local dealers here will NEVER get my business.  When a sales person is pompous and acts like if I'm not spending a quarter to half a mil on his recommendations I'm stupid then I'll happily spend my small potatoe money elsewhere. That's the  chap dealer closest to me and honestly they were pushing another brand alot harder. They don't reply to emails. Can't get them on the phone to order parts.  All I get is a receptionist then transferred to a recording. I love my old chap but they sure aren't the only thing decent that floats.  

On 5/19/2017 at 0:48 PM, CL300 said:

I'm concerned with mounting of electronics.  I'm going to replace the standard trolling motor with an iPilot or similar-type of motor, but the H2O 19 has limited room on the console.  Whatever I new FF/chartplotter I get, I'm sure it will be on a RAM mount/arm probably.  We wanted an H2O 21 SF, but our dealer can't/won't get one.  <_<  It had a bit more room to mount stuff.  

You could add the gps kit to the existing motorguide wireless unit. Costs about $450 to add. Sucks on them not wanting to order you the 21, just get it from another dealer. They are "required" to service it if they service chaparral, but doesn't mean they will get to it in a timely manner. I could have bought out of state and saved some cash, but figured the local dealer relationship was worth the $500 or so difference. I haven't checked in mounting location for the larger electronics. I'd love to swap out the garmin unit for something like a simrad go5 or go7. Maybe next year on that. 

3 hours ago, Ponyboy96 said:

You could add the gps kit to the existing motorguide wireless unit. Costs about $450 to add. Sucks on them not wanting to order you the 21, just get it from another dealer. They are "required" to service it if they service chaparral, but doesn't mean they will get to it in a timely manner. I could have bought out of state and saved some cash, but figured the local dealer relationship was worth the $500 or so difference. I haven't checked in mounting location for the larger electronics. I'd love to swap out the garmin unit for something like a simrad go5 or go7. Maybe next year on that. 

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a GPS add-on.  I will check that out - slick!  

I may have misspoken, or at least wasn't as clear as I should have been... in the dealer's defense (or maybe laziness on their "searching" for me), regarding the boat I found at the other dealer (the 21 SF).  They called the dealer, and THAT dealer said they did not want to sell it to them because it was their last one.  So, I can certainly understand that part of it.  However, the other part of me really wonders how much they actually did try to get that boat and/or find me another one.  Meh.

Honestly, I think the 19 will be okay for us.  I was looking forward to a roomier bow, but the price tag is substantially lower, which will help since we need a new fishfinder, trolling motor (or GPS kit), PFDs, ropes, fenders, yada-yada-yada.  

Brings me to another question:  so this 2016 H2O S&F holdover...  They have it listed at $34,170.  Sales guy said they'd do $1000 off since it's a holdover.  Then he said the guy'd probably be willing to deal a bit more if it sits another month.  How much lower, the way all the pricing is on Chaps, could I realistically offer WITHOUT offending him?  I don't want to low ball, but a lower price is always, well, awesome! :D 

From all I can tell, the folks at this dealer are good people.  I can understand them wanting to sell their stock.  My boss has bought 3 boats from them over the years and has a lot of good to say about them.  Unless they really do something weird that ticks me off, I don't really see myself going elsewhere at this point; they have been very kind and helpful.

I'd go ahead and get the 21. You won't regret getting the bigger one. As for the extras (lines, bumpers, life vests, etc...) have them throw it in to the deal. They wouldn't budge on price for us, so I got them to add stuff for free into the deal. We got the coast guard safety kit, 4 ski vests, tube, mooring cover and a couple other things added in for free. Had to pay for the ski bar and spare though. 

On 5/21/2017 at 1:04 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

I'd go ahead and get the 21. You won't regret getting the bigger one. As for the extras (lines, bumpers, life vests, etc...) have them throw it in to the deal. They wouldn't budge on price for us, so I got them to add stuff for free into the deal. We got the coast guard safety kit, 4 ski vests, tube, mooring cover and a couple other things added in for free. Had to pay for the ski bar and spare though. 

Yeah...they'll give you the basic coast guard safety kit to get you on the water.  One nice thing about used boats is sometimes you can hit the jack pot.  My previous Chap which was my first boat was used with just 20 hours on it from two seasons of use, I got it with more than $2,000 worth of very nice stuff....way beyond what I would've bought at the time quality-wise plus two wakeboard set ups.  Funny thing...the unsued Coast guard safety kit came with it as well.   Current Chap....not a single thing but the boat.  It is nice to have a bit roomier bow as for us that is the exclusive place my boys hang out and that filler cushion system is nice to have as well.  

Is it now MANDATORY to only do warranty service at a Chaparral dealer ?  Good grief.  Mine never went  to one.  The only service is the motor & drive. Oil, filters & check air pressure.