scheuejp

Looking to buy first boat

Hi everybody, I am new to boating.  Looking to buy my first boat and I have settled on a 21 H2O sport.  Looking for feedback on this model.  I was going to buy used but I found a 2014 that has all the options I want.  it has 240 hours and is 34k.  is that a good deal?  I would think a three year old boat would be cheaper... no?

It depends on how it's equipped, its condition and how it's been maintained.  If it has the 250hp engine, sport tower, and most other options that wouldn't be a bad deal as long as it has been maintained well. That boat new would run around 42-44k plus the taxes you have to pay on a new boat adding a few extra thousand dollars.  I have a '17 21 H2O Sport and although I've only had it a month we love it so far. 

If equipped properly thats about a $13-$15k or approx 30% discount for a 3 year old boat.  I'd say if it's in really good shape and been maintained well offer $31k and settle somewhere around $32-33k and you'll both be happy.  Good luck!

I love my boat, we've really enjoyed it.  I agree that how good of a deal that is comes down to how its optioned.  I would say that 240 hrs seems like a lot for a 3 year old boat.  Its nothing to be concerned about, other than being less new.  In TN, and I assume some other states, you have to pay sales tax on boats new and used.  Also, compare financing on new vs used.  What's the point of saving a few thousand, if you'll just be paying it in interest to the bank. 

9 hours ago, TNBrett said:

I love my boat, we've really enjoyed it.  I agree that how good of a deal that is comes down to how its optioned.  I would say that 240 hrs seems like a lot for a 3 year old boat.  Its nothing to be concerned about, other than being less new.  In TN, and I assume some other states, you have to pay sales tax on boats new and used.  Also, compare financing on new vs used.  What's the point of saving a few thousand, if you'll just be paying it in interest to the bank. 

Have to agree that 240 hours in 3 years is a bit above average and I'd be interested to learn if the previous owner was a fisherman. Trolling time can add up in a hurry. Little to no stress on the drive train, but a bit hard on the engine. The ECM histogram can be scanned to see what percentage of hours run were at which throttle setting. I scanned a used boat for a friend and found that over 35% of the total engine hours were run at WOT on a two year old boat. Maybe not a big deal on an outboard, but on an I/O, run Forest, run. As long as the maintenance was done then a deal on a clean, fresh water boat is never a bad thing.  W

Do you have any very experienced boating friends to eliminate any nice lookers but mechanically / electrically not good ? 

I appreciate all the responses.  I thought maybe the hours were high too, but the 2018 comes out in July, so a 2014 could have 4 seasons on it which would mean an average of 60 hours a season. How many hours a season is normal?

Wingnut, good to know about the histogram, I'll be sure to get one. 

The boat has all the options I want and some that are beyond what I need.  A sport tower with wakeboard racks, A fish finder/ gps was installed which goes to your point about the owner being a fisherman, a boat safe heater, a new two person tube, etc.

also, no I don't know anything about boats or have mechanical friends.  I am paying for a marine surveyor to look at it next week though.

i guess I am just completely ignorant about depreciation and boat value in general.  How long (hours) do boats last? I will say that the boat was bought and serviced at the same dealership I was looking at for a new one.  The dealership guys all swear by it and say it's a good deal.  This is a private sale so they done have anything to gain from that. 

This is a tough call

is a brand new boat with a good warranty worth 11000 more?

38 minutes ago, scheuejp said:

I appreciate all the responses.  I thought maybe the hours were high too, but the 2018 comes out in July, so a 2014 could have 4 seasons on it which would mean an average of 60 hours a season. How many hours a season is normal?

Wingnut, good to know about the histogram, I'll be sure to get one. 

The boat has all the options I want and some that are beyond what I need.  A sport tower with wakeboard racks, A fish finder/ gps was installed which goes to your point about the owner being a fisherman, a boat safe heater, a new two person tube, etc.

also, no I don't know anything about boats or have mechanical friends.  I am paying for a marine surveyor to look at it next week though.

i guess I am just completely ignorant about depreciation and boat value in general.  How long (hours) do boats last? I will say that the boat was bought and serviced at the same dealership I was looking at for a new one.  The dealership guys all swear by it and say it's a good deal.  This is a private sale so they done have anything to gain from that. 

This is a tough call

is a brand new boat with a good warranty worth 11000 more?

In the Northeast, it seems like 80 to 90 hours a year is average. A boat that is maintained properly will last a good 20 years without major issues, but there are so many variables. Also, boats continue to evolve and Kevlar hulls and composite stringers all help along with better lubricants and electronic fuel injection. Easy 1,500 hour engine life and still going strong is common place. My 2008 is garage kept, and shows as new but I've also worked on similar boats that are going on their 4h season that I would not buy at any price. It's all about quality of care. Too many new owners jump into boating without educating themselves and pay the price soon after their purchase. It would seem you are being careful and moving slowly which is always a good thing.  W

Price up the exact  same boat/options. Then decide if the price difference is worth 4 model years and 240 hours...

brick

I don't think the hours are a problem, its just on the upper end of average. 

I think its more like a 7K price difference.  To me it makes sense to find a new one on the floor at a dealer that works for you, you'll start with a new boat and get a 5yr warranty.  They may even be willing to move a bit on price with the '18s coming out right around the corner. 

I think he's got that boat priced at his payoff.  That doesn't always equal a good deal

I have a 2014 H20 21 Sport that I bought new in April 2014, we are in the Midwest and took her out for the first time this year yesterday, hit 113 hours while we were out, 240 seems like a lot of hours to me.

Sane 1,000 hours of use  will always be FAR FAR better, than a nut case using a boat like a oversized PWC.  Bank on that statement.  Those boats are usually moldy in many places of the upholstery & carpeting.

WAAAHHH  HOOOO  as the boat jumps the wakes.  Been there with those guys. In their boats. 

Price seems high for a 2014 with 240'hrs. heck, I'd sell you my 2016 21 sport w/20 hrs for a few dollars more.

I struggled recently with this same question.

In the end, I went new.

As a first time boater, not knowing much, I looked high and low for a good dealer with a good service department. I asked friends, asked others on the lake for their recommendations.

Sure, if you've been boating for 20 years it's one thing. You feel comfortable working on engines?  Fine.

But if neither of those are applicable to you, newer is the way to go.  Try to find a "last years" new model.  The dealers want to move these and most should come with a full warranty starting in the year of purchase.

It's a tough decision, no doubt.  A ton of cash and let alone all the other expenses that add up along the way.

But in the end you're getting this for fun.

Worrying about what happens when things go wrong, isn't "fun."  Put your mind at rest, go with new and you'll see that the extra 11k was worth it.

Don't be "penny-wise" and "dollar-foolish.."

I you are down south....that may be acceptable hours...here in MN, that is ten years worth of hours or more for most boat owners.  The value goes wayyyy down with that many hours in the local market here but the internet of course makes it a world market for everybody.  With that said then, what tends to happen is that you simply don't need to buy a new or newer boat as there are so many that were used lightly and stored properly and you get a as-new boat and don't pay sales tax on it which is over 7%.  To me, new boats are for people who don't have cash and need to fiance as is the case for the people on my lake....cash poor but can make payments and so have new boats and overpay compared to the much nicer slightly used boat you can get for that money in the used market.  My neighbor just bought a $60,000 entry level brand 22 foot boat.  That same 60k could have bough him a much, much nicer and more substantial boat but he is simply cash poor and is relagated to new cars and boat.   It takes just basic preventative maintenance to make these things last for decades trouble free in fresh water when they get this limited seasonal use.  

seems a little high to me.  its all about condition and how well the previous owner took care of it .  is the owner motivated to sell? if so, an offer of 26-27 would seem fair to me. 

Thanks everyone... I really appreciate all the responses... after going back and forth, and considering all the upgrades, I went with this boat... and I love it!  Here's hoping I made the right call.

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG