Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JP127

How safe is Broken Bow Lake?

7 posts in this topic

We live in DFW TX and taking a trip to Broken Bow OK this summer. We're thinking of taking our boat (18 foot, 2001 Chaparral, no depth finder). Is it a fun lake? Most important, how safe is the lake for boating. Lots of stumps, sand bars, etc...? We plan on just driving around and exploring, and the kids will want to tube. This is our third year boating and we've mainly just boat in our area reservoirs.

Any and all input is appreciated.

BEAUTIFUL lake!  We spent the night on the hook a few weeks ago (first time visit) and had a great time. There's only one marina but the lake is deep...very deep and very clear. There are MANY islands...most easily visible and charted but there is one rock outcropping near the busy route to/from the marina. The north 3/4 of the lake shorelines are lined with underwater trees...no good for beaching or even anchoring near shore. However there is a great near-shore anchorage on the south side near the marina and dam. There are some other beach areas around the same area. 

I say go!  We had a great time and I'd love to go again. Let me know what other questions you might have and enjoy this video I took there a few weeks ago. 

Thank you very much!! That map is awesome. I assume it's the same principle as a terrain map but instead of elevation it shows depth? 

Also, at the beginning of the video you have your boat backed in toward the shore and near the end of the video your (I assume) son is playing on the beach. Where are those spots? I'd like to take my boat there. 

Again, thank you!

9 hours ago, JP127 said:

Thank you very much!! That map is awesome. I assume it's the same principle as a terrain map but instead of elevation it shows depth? 

Also, at the beginning of the video you have your boat backed in toward the shore and near the end of the video your (I assume) son is playing on the beach. Where are those spots? I'd like to take my boat there. 

Again, thank you!

Yes, see the photo below.  broken%20bow.jpg

Well-structured & staffed Marina, a decent parking; on this July 4th weekend, the launch point was bit more popular , but staff kept things moving - And launching was surprisingly fast. 
The many  islands, coves and entirely wooded, beautiful areas with some great rock outcroppings for leaping off into the lake made for great visuals & enjoyment.
Also plenty of room for tubing and skying. Kayak on the lake, or just take a short trip to other side of spillway for kayak fun or river floats & adventure. This area is just plain beautiful.

I've been once for Labor Day back during the drought.  Beautiful lake, with plenty to explore.  They call their party cove, race cove.  It's fun watching the race jetboats showing off their boats.  Very deep and clear lake.  Plan to go back someday.