5 posts in this topic

I have a new 2016 Signature 270 and I'd like to add Air Conditioning. Does anyone have any suggestions of a manufacturer and any tips from anyone who has added AC equipment? 

This is one of the options that are much much easier to install at the factory when boat's innards are still open and accessible. The install not only involves the unit fitting into designated area but also electrical wiring, circulation water inlet and outlet, water pump install and wiring, condensation water drainage, and the air ducts. A lot!

I would start with asking the dealer for the OEM unit model and install details and evaluate your options based on that. The possible prewired harnesses and interior arrangements will fit the OEM unit and would make the job a bit easier. Custom install will be a lot of fun as the boat is small for a cruiser and there is not much space to stuff additional equipment and to work to install it.

Several years ago I installed AC on a 28' cruiser that I had. It wasn't that hard, but did involve doing some drilling. Go to this web site and you should find all the information you need.  https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/marine-air-conditioning/5200-btu-system/ 

On that boat I found that there were conduits for running wires and tubing from the engine compartment. Since you do not have a gen you will only be able to run it when you have access to AC. This was fine for us since we used the boat to sleep on when we went to the lake.

What state do you boat in? It may end up being more work than its worth if you are in a "cooler" state in the north part of the country.