Trojan

Anchor question

13 posts in this topic

How long is your chain? The longer the better..............

Few people who own runabouts know how to properly set an anchor...

Three feet of chain should be good.  My guess is you need to pay out more anchor line...and then even more in wind.

I would use more in general. First off, are you on a lake or ocean? I would talk to the boaters in your area. They can tell you the type of bottom and alike.........

The chain does 2 things, keeps the shank down so the anchor will not pull out. Also, will act as a shock absorber on a windy day.

On a lake 6 to 8 feet, on the ocean 15 to 20 feet of chain. But thats me.............

How big (or heavy) an anchor would I need for an 18' bowrider on an inland lake? Would not be used overnight or in high winds/storms. Just something to hold in a normal breeze or slow current. I am thinking a 3 to 5 pound mushroom anchor. Am I looking in the correct direction?

Joe

PS:  1993 180SL, lake is FULL of stumps and submerged timber (hence mushroom type) and we don't go out in questionable weather or sleep overnight on the boat.

You need 8x the depth.  10 feet of depth, pay out 80 ft. Then back her up slowly and she should catch.  

Get a box anchor by far the best anchor I've ever had and it works wonderful without a lead chain.

3 hours ago, Greg Kiser said:

You need 8x the depth.  10 feet of depth, pay out 80 ft. Then back her up slowly and she should catch.  

Some would say that 4 or 5 to one is more like it. If you have very little chain, than you may need 8 to 1. But the more chain you have, the less scope you will need. Remember, chain is your friend. The more you have the more holding power you have!

3 hours ago, Greg Kiser said:

That's a WHOLE lot of line for 10' of water

Exactly, why I got the box.  Don't even need close to that much line

I only said that because I anchor in 60 foot deep of water often for fishing and only throw out about 80 to 90 foot of line in winds up to 20 miles an hour. I have a Danforth and it holds just fine. Then again I don't know what the bottom is like either because I don't have the guts to swim down there and take a peep