mjagmin

Where do you store your garbage on your boat?

45 posts in this topic

Have heard a ton of different ideas from trash bags to old coolers.  Saw this on www.boatoutfitters.com.  Wondering what the community does?

13770-50381_zm.jpg

I have a small trash can that fits under the steps into the cabin. We use grocery store bags in it. Works great. When the bag gets full it goes in the aft storage locker until we get to a marina and it can be thrown out.

Just now, Phillbo said:

I have a small trash can that fits under the steps into the cabin. We use grocery store bags in it. Works great. When the bag gets full it goes in the aft storage locker until we get to a marina and it can be thrown out.

Sounds good.  

we don't have "steps" so our option seems to be cannibalizing one of the storage compartments.  I'm reluctant to do that, so I was hoping to find some "genius" idea on the forum!  

I believe someone posted this on here once before so I can;t take the credit....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJEPUN0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3BOL6BJ51R832&coliid=I3T4AVIOJH85EZ&psc=1

Seems like a decent solution however I have yet to find it in me to drop $50 on a trashcan. :lol: We use the grocery store bags in a storage compartment which is certainly not ideal. 

4 minutes ago, mjagmin said:

Sounds great....If you got a sink :lol:

I guess that would help... LOL

Just now, RoyR said:

That's one of the reasons I have a Sunesta! :)

Smart.  Even smarter being in San Diego :)

I have a small trash can under the sink for garbage.  Then I put a slightly larger waste basket down in the front of my ski locker where I put my recycleables (beer bottles, water bottles).  End of the day pull the bag out of each one and drop in the dumpsters on the way out of the Marina.  My ski locker is large enough to be a coffin for a 6' man!!

Trash bag in the ski locker. Don't know if there is room for anything else on a 220. 

brick

Just now, brick said:

Trash bag in the ski locker. Don't know if there is room for anything else on a 220. 

brick

Yep.. I'm hearing that a lot.  Except the wife isn't keen on a "trash bag" look for our new boat...

And I don't want to drop big $$$ on a fancy garbage can.

Thinking a Home Depot Homer bucket might do the trick.. A nice fancy orange bucket.... :):):) 

32 minutes ago, robbo8199 said:

I believe someone posted this on here once before so I can;t take the credit....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJEPUN0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3BOL6BJ51R832&coliid=I3T4AVIOJH85EZ&psc=1

Seems like a decent solution however I have yet to find it in me to drop $50 on a trashcan. :lol: We use the grocery store bags in a storage compartment which is certainly not ideal. 

That would probably be myself.  I bought the red one.  It is a lot bigger than it appears in the pic and works great!  We have it velcroed to the handle inside the head compartment.

We tend to accumulate a lot of 'bottles' as the day goes on.  This helps keep everything together and with the special lid keeps chip bags, wrappers, etc from blowing out.

Just now, EricGT said:

That would probably be myself.  I bought the red one.  It is a lot bigger than it appears in the pic and works great!  We have it velcroed to the handle inside the head compartment.

We tend to accumulate a lot of 'bottles' as the day goes on.  This helps keep everything together and with the special lid keeps chip bags, wrappers, etc from blowing out.

So... How many, eh..."bottles" would you say it holds?

Built in garbage can behind the cooler in the bar right next to the grill and sink. One of the reasons I love my Sunesta.

We don't generate a ton of trash and so generally the little bit that we do goes into the cooler or a carry on beach type bag.  

1 hour ago, mjagmin said:

Question...How many beer bottles does it hold?

No bottles on the boat......

We also have a bar/sink on the Sunestas and on of the lids on the counter is the trash,. Absolutely love it.

3 hours ago, dn0349 said:

We also have a bar/sink on the Sunestas and on of the lids on the counter is the trash,. Absolutely love it.

We have a 244 as well and I'd love to find a sleeve that would serve as a chute to direct the trash from the lid to the garbage can!

The kids just open the lid and toss -- without looking below -- and the trash ends up missing the can half the time.

We put a small plastic garbage can in the port console of our 220.  Roll of small trash bags stays in the bottom of it.  Has worked well for us for years.

P1010952.jpg

16 hours ago, mjagmin said:

So... How many, eh..."bottles" would you say it holds?

A cooler full.  ;)

My wife found some really neat trash bag holders.  They have big suction cups and we have two.  One in the Head as NO PAPER products are allowed in the toilet and the other in the galley.  They hold either small trash bags, or we recycle the plastic bags from the grocery store.  She found them at Academy. 

Now you asked where we store it.  We try not to store any trash onboard.  Each time we dock somewhere we put the garbage into the waste cans.  So we don't have to keep trash onboard for any length of time.