Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TDLucas

Brown stains on white vinyl

17 posts in this topic

I was able to get rid of the blue mold stains on my white vinyl, but nothing I do seems to eliminate the brown stains.  What are they?  Rust?  They seem to mostly on the tops of the vinyl.  Anybody had any luck removing theirs?

Dont use a magic erasure yet, leave them out in the sun.

They will bleach out.

Brown /black is spider poop on my boats. I use some risky liquids to remove spider stains.

Try this, I've found it works wonders on a variety of different stains...

50/50 water & white vinegar in a spray bottle.

put some baking soda directly on the stubborn spot and spray it once or twice to get it going.

use an old toothbrush and gently work the wet baking soda into the stain.

Let it sit for 5 minutes

Wipe it clean.

Should work, but if not you may need to hit it again only this time instead of the water & vinegar combo, try the juice of a lemon along with the backing soda.

use the toothbrush and work the lemon & baking soda mix  into the stain.

Again, let it sit for 5 minutes

Wipe it clean.

15 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

Magic Eraser?

I'm amazed people still recommend this stuff....sigh!

21 minutes ago, RoyR said:

the fear is overblown, be careful and watch what you do and use some lubricant such as water and cleaner and youll be fine.  Ive been using them on vinyl forever and nothing has been worn out or broke.

I have stains on the head rests of the front two seats.  Pretty sure it is because of direct contact with the cockpit cover.  Since I made that connection, I have rotated the seats so that the head rest does not touch the cover...   Unfortunately, I haven't found the right stuff to totally clean the stain...

13 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Interesting that we've all had different experiences with the Magic Eraser with the same vinyl material.  

to each his own, but most people just echo what theyve heard or know a guy type thing.  After using them for a decade on multiple different vinyls, i dont see the issue, but like I said i dont rub till the cows come home and i know when to stop.  Like anything it takes some common sense, you dont keep washing your car with same mitt without dunking the mitt a few times after use. 

It's sort of a last resort to me and works 'too' well. I only ever used it with the wife's toe nail polish on the sun pad that would come off her toes.  Nothing else would work unfortunately.   Actually, baking soda as mentioned above is kind of amazing for a lot of things for a non abrasive abrasive.    

6 hours ago, RoyR said:

Yep, complete morons. The sun will bleach most stains out. 

15 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

It's sort of a last resort to me and works 'too' well. I only ever used it with the wife's toe nail polish on the sun pad that would come off her toes.  Nothing else would work unfortunately.   Actually, baking soda as mentioned above is kind of amazing for a lot of things for a non abrasive abrasive.    

right its not something i use wide spread or at first.  clean with some mild first then attack the tough spots lightly with these.  again common sense,