Sign in to follow this  
Crespo611

Boat Name

The only standard that I am aware of is regarding the lettering size on a federally documented vessel.

you can put whatever you want on it unless you are documenting it, in that case there is probably  a certain set of rules.

But for your every day boat that is not registered i would assume anything would be fine

Documenting your vessel does NOT excuse the registration of the vessel as well.  for example, my boat is documented and registered with the state of Michigan.  Both cost $$  I believe the USGC charges $30 / year.  Reg. for the states vary.

I have a registration Number for Michigan but i am NOT required to display the numbers on the bow.  i only have to display the registration sticker that shows what year it is valid through.  The vessel name must clearly visible on the stern greater than 2 1/2" along w/ hailing port.  you must also keep a copy of both registration and Vessel Documentation number on board.   I like the clean look of no numbers and have only been stopped once questioning it but had the documentation and was on my way.  

some advantages are:  international travel - USCG is recognized as official around the world so for me traveling (if i want to) canada or others going to the Bahamas, Cuba, etc you aand your vessel are protected by US law..  if you claim your boat as a 2nd Home some lenders may require it.  other than that, no real big difference.

Stick whatever you want on. Including pictures.  My cruiser has " DIVE DIVE "       With a picture of a submarine conning tower under it. USCG came over for a laugh with me.

It is different in Indiana.  Registration is not required if documented, however you still have to pay the excise taxes each year.  Also, not all boats can be documented.  They have to have a minimum displacement of net 5 tons.  Sometimes I get a visit from the Coasties because I do not have registration numbers on the hull.  Never been a problem, just be polite.

1 hour ago, bcboater said:

It is different in Indiana.  Registration is not required if documented, however you still have to pay the excise taxes each year.  Also, not all boats can be documented.  They have to have a minimum displacement of net 5 tons.  Sometimes I get a visit from the Coasties because I do not have registration numbers on the hull.  Never been a problem, just be polite.

Lots of people in IN try to avoid the excise tax by documenting their boat in either IL or MI.  Excise tax per year on high $ boats is $500  +/- .  IMO, Indiana is ruining boating for its citizens.  they limit  beach access or i should say restrict access to beaches by boaters.  DNR will remove you from the shoreline if you are within 100 yards anchored and come to shore.  Even on beaches that are free to access by land.  Boaters are limited to a small section of public beach on Well Street & on boaters beach.  Compared to just a short ride in either direction to IL or MI where DNR welcomes boaters.  a few years ago we were removed from a public beach in IN, said we didn't pay (again $500 in excise tax)  drove about 25 minute to Warren Dunes anchored away from swimmers and was also visited by DNR - but this one came over to say he liked my boat - after sharing my IN experience he mentioned that he had noticed quite a lot more IN boats their way.  Friendly and welcoming.  It is disappointing as the IN lake shore is great.  

Update:  All true delaney, however most of the beaches are in the National Lakeshore, so it is the Feds ruining the fun, not INDNR.   We normally hang at the east end of Beverly Shores and don't have trouble there.  We also don't beach the boat.  Too much wave action.  BUT, on the original subject, I found my documentation certificate Sunday and found I had missed renewal.....$450 to renew.  OUCH!  Contemplated dropping it but figure it is easier to get caught up now than try to reinstate later.  One of those where you just suck it up.  We wouldn't be in boating if it was a financial decision, right?

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, delaney said:

some advantages are:  international travel - USCG is recognized as official around the world so for me traveling (if i want to) canada or others going to the Bahamas, Cuba, etc you aand your vessel are protected by US law..  if you claim your boat as a 2nd Home some lenders may require it.  other than that, no real big difference.

Thanks for that, didn't exactly know why.  I go and back and forth from Canada all the time , and no issue without it.