Sell on Craigslist?

I've got to sell my favorite toy because arthritis is making it too hard to do all the things that need to be done when you own a boat.  I am definitely going to list it on Boat Trader, but I've heard that Craigslist is subject to a lot of scams.  What do I need to do to avoid getting ripped off on Craigslist?

Just use common sense on CL. Not much to it. If an interested party calls, and it sounds fishy, move on to the next buyer.

You will get scammer's on Boattrader as well. Unless you list with a broker, then he does the weeding out of scammers for you.

6 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

youll get scammers wherevery you post on the internet.  people can email and scam all they want, but until they show up with cash or a certified check in hand it goes no where.

This.  I sold my Larson bow rider on CL last spring.  I may have lucked out but only received local, non-scammy inquiries.  Go for it!

36 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Just use common sense on CL. Not much to it. If an interested party calls, and it sounds fishy, move on to the next buyer.

Couldn't have said it better!  Also, if it seems too good to be true in regards to an offer, it almost always it a scam

I can say that CL is THE place people list their boats here in my state where everybody has a boat.  People don't want to pay for boat trader but at the same time most of the boats here are garage sized boats.  Last boat I bought (from CL), the guy still had a loan on it so he took my cashiers check and had to get the lien released from the bank and then he insisted that he and i go and transfer the title at the dmv.  Just come common sense measures.  There's a lot of losers in this world I realize both buying and selling things on CL.  

I had great success selling thru my marina. Yes they took 10% but they advertised it, handled all the people that just wanted a boat ride, qualified buyers and in the end they handed me a check for more than what I originally wanted for the boat.

Hassel free way to sell a boat in my opinion and I didn't have to deal with J.Q Public, no one knew my name, where I lived or my phone number.

4 hours ago, vonshep said:

cash before you hand over the title I wouldn't take a certified check or a wire transfer yankee dollars in my hand or no title

You guys have titles for boats,  Not here in Colorado only for trailers

I have sold my last 3 boats on Craigslist, No problems.  The last one was about 3 months ago.  The buyer came and looked at the boat, we came to an agreement on price, then we went to his bank branch where they issued a bank check in my name.  We then went right to the dmv with the title, and transferred it into his name.

Edited by whosurpopi
forgot a word.
17 hours ago, vonshep said:

cash before you hand over the title I wouldn't take a certified check or a wire transfer yankee dollars in my hand or no title

well depends on what kind of dollars.  People are not into getting nor are banks in the habit of handing over 20-30-40k in green backs,  actually pretty illogical to carry around that much cash even for a day.  Certified check locally to easy, non local or even local check I go to the bank and its a pretty easy task of making sure its real. 

Now money orders, no way unless its a small amount and a postal one.  wire transfers actually arent bad, once they are in your account they are in your account. 

I`ve sold cars, trucks, boats, trailers and ATV`s on Craigslist. Yes you may get somebody wanting to BS or lowball you or offer something in trade, but generally I`ve found it to be a good venue to advertise your product. You just have to weed out the tire kickers and move on to the next inquiry.

I've sold a couple boats on CL. You'll learn real fast who to ignore (usually the scam bots that text you as soon as you post the listing). I actually have fun with the scammers.

Go in and delete and repost your ad frequently to keep it on the first page.

Too many wack-jobs on CL, for me.  When I am ready to sell my trusty Chaparral, I will make a discrete post on here like "where do you folks suggest I list my boat?"  It will be sold by noon, and Webbie will never notice. Oops...

brick

I just sold Weekend At Bernie's with an ad on CL and Boat Trader. The guy that bought the boat read about it on CL. The responses I got from Boat Trader was mostly brokers and some group out of Vegas that wanted to help me help get financing for my perspective buyer. CL was a mixture of tire kickers and a couple of possible phishes, but eventually a buyer. I didn't want to pay a broker thousands of dollars for something I could do in 15 minutes because my situation was simple , no lien and the buyer was pre-qualified thru USAA.

I bought my SeaRay on CL about 6 years ago and when it came time to upgrade last year I sold the SeaRay on CL and bought the Chaparral on CL as all within about a month. I had very easy and pleasant experiences in all 3 transactions. You may have to filter through some bozos but that should be too big of a hurdle. My rule of thumb was if the person I talked to was difficult at all I cut bait and moved on to the next inquiry. 

6 hours ago, Pigeon said:

Go with craigslist for sure, boattrader will get just as many scams. The scams are obvious, you have to be a fool to fall for them.

It's a shame this forum dosen't  have a classifieds section.

I would hate to see our forum degrade into a used boat lot, but that's just me. I do see Chaps aggressively marketed on the Chap Facebook group and it would appear they have gained a fairly large following.  W

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Wingnut said:

I would hate to see our forum degrade into a used boat lot, but that's just me. I do see Chaps aggressively marketed on the Chap Facebook group and it would appear they have gained a fairly large following.  W

I don't see how it would degrade the forum? It would be a separate classified section for parts and boats. Many forums have them, if you don't click there you wouldn't even know it was there.