mjagmin

Proper Boat Launch Protocol

58 posts in this topic

Lots of reverse speed NEEDED ?  Is all prop shape design. The is only acceptable in a racing boat. Totally bad for normal boats................You can be helpless in wind & current with almost a fully loaded boatload. I have driven horrible props like that.  Want speed ?  Buy a fast, overpowered  boat.

My 186 has a idle speed MPH almost the same F or R.  It is not a dealer prop.

Ok I am the one who pays the same amount as everyone else so I have my boat prepared a few blocks down the road .  ALL I DO  is get in line Wate my turn and do my thing . It's not going to hurt anyone to prepare my boat so all I have to do is  unhook bow safety chain and winch strap .I am not pressured or stressed away from the ramp eather setting up or afterwards and the boat settles in center better after a few blocks you can go now if we could get the rest of the jack wagons to stop and think about others.  I have seen peoplewho dry there boat ramp with others in line as Steve Martin says excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me 

Luckily I have become less in your face with bullies & a holes. I met 1 nice bully in the ambulance during the drive to the hospital.

The joys of getting very old are few.   :D

On 5/24/2017 at 6:14 AM, cyclops2 said:

Why does the plug need to be left out ?  Dripping wet swimmers do not fill up the bilge ?  2 minutes or the drive home should allow putting The plug in ?   Why not ?

None of the boats ever need the plug out.  The pumps & a high bow ride are good enough after the worst rain.

In Minnesota it's because I don't want to get fined... We actually have to pass an inspection by a DNR certified inspector when entering boat ramps on most lakes.

Because here it's:

KNOW THE LAW: You may not…

• Transport watercraft without removing the drain plug.
  • Arrive at lake access with drain plug in place.
  • Transport aquatic plants, zebra mussels, or other prohibited species on any roadway.
  • Launch a watercraft with prohibited species attached.
  • Transport water from Minnesota lakes or rivers.
  • Release bait into the water.

This ramp situation is some of why we ended up several years back just buying a vacation house on a large lake.  We can have a small 22 foot boat and no head needed and be on the water in as much time as it takes to walk 50 feet down my dock and press the 'lower' button on my key fob that controls the covered lift.  One time in and one time out each year with the trailer and I just do it when nobody is around.  While there are so many people with boats here, many of the ramps just aren't conducive to handling the traffic they receive.  Sure there are some lakes with multiple ramps at the access but that's the exception and not the rule. In a state known for its lakes, the accesses seem to be sub par and an afterthought at best at so many lakes.  

I despise trailering after as many years as I had to do it yet If I wanted to I could trailer it up and visit another lake any time if I really wanted to.  

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

This ramp situation is some of why we ended up several years back just buying a vacation house on a large lake.  We can have a small 22 foot boat and no head needed and be on the water in as much time as it takes to walk 50 feet down my dock and press the 'lower' button on my key fob that controls the covered lift.  One time in and one time out each year with the trailer and I just do it when nobody is around.  While there are so many people with boats here, many of the ramps just aren't conducive to handling the traffic they receive.  Sure there are some lakes with multiple ramps at the access but that's the exception and not the rule. In a state known for its lakes, the accesses seem to be sub par and an afterthought at best at so many lakes.  

I despise trailering after as many years as I had to do it yet If I wanted to I could trailer it up and visit another lake any time if I really wanted to.  

completely agree and understand...

What lake are you on?  

I guess I'm lucky.  Usually people are decent but as silly as it sounds, my pet peeves are people fishing on the dock and kayakers launching or landing on the boat ramp!  With the fishers, I think it becomes a safety thing when you're fighting a boat in heavy wind and current (we're on the Connecticut River) and you're stepping over tackle boxes and dodging the lures whizzing by your head.........