Sign in to follow this  
Mhoups

First boat ever, finally!!

On 5/31/2017 at 6:34 PM, Mhoups said:

Nah, I didn't take it as being hazed. It's all good info. 

We aren't, your boat is doing all the hazing.  Each boat does that to their new owner.

9 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

We aren't, your boat is doing all the hazing.  Each boat does that to their new owner.

And some times to the one who's owned the boat for a while.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:25 PM, brick said:

There is no "tow boat" service on the lake I use. 

brick

Yeah, I was going to say "not all lakes have tow services." Maybe that's the case with this guy's lake.

I've not heard of LEO ever towing a boat (at least not here in WI)  Too much of a liability.  I had a friend run out of gas and the Sheriff took him to the marina to load up a can and ran him back to the boat, but that was about it.

They have a nifty app called BoatUS that you can download from the Google Play or Itunes store.  From the app they have nearby services, weather info,  and "call for a tow"....

Might come in handy....  

34634538260_bef1bf5d5f_osss.jpg

They actually designated a phone number to call if you get stuck or stranded and they will tow you to the nearest "safe spot". 

I did sign up with boatUS, hopefully I don't need it, but it's good to have and pretty inexpensive. 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, Mhoups said:

Unreliable, that's not good. The dealer told me they were more reliable, easier to drive and safer, this particular boat. I did check the pump, the lanyard was connected, boat was in neutral.... 

what is a Leo? 

What is sea tow/ boat US? 

LEO = law enforcement officer and Sea Tow / Boat US are towing companies for the water.  Effective but not cheap.

Leo has towed me in when I broke down, then Gave me a ticket for a 12yo that decided to wave the Leo over with his life jacket.  Doh!  I considered the $170 ticket as a tow charge.  The father, who was on board, of the kid offered to pay the ticket, but apparently forgot.  I never said anything because as the captain it was my responsibility to have caught him taking off the life jacket.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, Duane2135 said:

Mhoups,

Don't fret too much.  Did you really think you could join our club and not get hazed?  Think of this as your Rush semester, next year you'll have it all figured out.  This year, go easy on taking too many people out with you.  Get to know your boat, they all have personalities, likes and dislikes.  As mentioned earlier, find an experienced boater to go out with you.  You may find some of the problems you are having are self-induced.  This isn't like owning a car, there is a steeper learning curve involved.

My boat and I have seen a lot together.  Usually we get along just fine.  But lately she's been a witch, so much so that she will probably get a name change to reflect our relationship better.  Her current name is "Knutty Kutty", but may soon be renamed to "My Kryptonite."

Just the ritual involved in changing the name of a boat to avoid "bad luck" would prevent me from going to "My Kryptonite" but I sympathize with your predicament! LOL...