Sign in to follow this  
Mhoups

First boat ever, finally!!

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to boating. We just purchased a 2017 chaparral VRX 203, we picked it up Saturday, did the orientation, love the boat but we've had more issues then a magazine rack.  First day out, after orientation, the thing dies, wouldn't start and had to get towed in. We went out today, the boat ran great (as good as it can in the break-in stage) all went well, tooled around the lake and noticed when accelerating at a certain point it would rev high like it wasn't sucking in water. So we go to the marina and have lunch, hang out, we go to leave and the boat fires and dies. The motor turns over but will not fire, it just so happens that the same trooper that towed us Saturday towed us today and he is/was a super jerk! Is this common on most lakes? I understand he has things to do and a lake to patrol, he had the attitude that we were doing this intentionally. As I mentioned, I'm new to boating, is this what I need to expect when I'm on the water? He told me today, "we are not towing this boat again, you need to make friends with a boat owner or figure that thing out!" Is this normal, lol, I want to believe it's not. 

10 minutes ago, Mhoups said:

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to boating. We just purchased a 2017 chaparral VRX 203, we picked it up Saturday, did the orientation, love the boat but we've had more issues then a magazine rack.  First day out, after orientation, the thing dies, wouldn't start and had to get towed in. We went out today, the boat ran great (as good as it can in the break-in stage) all went well, tooled around the lake and noticed when accelerating at a certain point it would rev high like it wasn't sucking in water. So we go to the marina and have lunch, hang out, we go to leave and the boat fires and dies. The motor turns over but will not fire, it just so happens that the same trooper that towed us Saturday towed us today and he is/was a super jerk! Is this common on most lakes? I understand he has things to do and a lake to patrol, he had the attitude that we were doing this intentionally. As I mentioned, I'm new to boating, is this what I need to expect when I'm on the water? He told me today, "we are not towing this boat again, you need to make friends with a boat owner or figure that thing out!" Is this normal, lol, I want to believe it's not. 

Rudeness on the water is not normal, no, but a leo is not a tow boat and should not be considered as such. That's what Sea Tow/ Boat US are for.

Congrats on the boat and sorry you're having issues. Jet propulsion systems are notoriously unreliable, but this still sounds out of the norm. Did you check the pump for debris?

Sorry you are having problems with your new boat. It is not normal. I am starting season 13 with my Chaparral 220SSi.  It has always run great, never had a break-down.

I would find out what your problem is before going out again. Maybe take an experienced boater friend with you?

brick

Unreliable, that's not good. The dealer told me they were more reliable, easier to drive and safer, this particular boat. I did check the pump, the lanyard was connected, boat was in neutral.... 

what is a Leo? 

What is sea tow/ boat US? 

2 minutes ago, brick said:

Sorry you are having problems with your new boat. It is not normal. I am starting season 13 with my Chaparral 220SSi.  It has always run great, never had a break-down.

I would find out what your problem is before going out again. Maybe take an experienced boater friend with you?

brick

I'm definitely getting it figured out before we go back out. I plan on being at the dealer when they open at 8am. 

LEO ... law enforcement officer, not a towing company, seems like that LEO was kind enough to do you a favor twice, third time you might get a ticket or something ... ;)

SeaTow, BoatUS ... private towing companies, offer towing services for a fee to individuals and to their club members, next time you might consider calling them or your dealer

After the dealer makes the boat move again, take the dealer rep for a ride, test it with them onboard and try to recreate the problem. Good luck.

6 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Rudeness on the water is not normal, no, but a leo is not a tow boat and should not be considered as such. That's what Sea Tow/ Boat US are for.

Congrats on the boat and sorry you're having issues. Jet propulsion systems are notoriously unreliable, but this still sounds out of the norm. Did you check the pump for debris?

Yep!

Towing is often times included in your boat insurance, so check with them. Even if it is the benefits may be limited.  Boat US and SeaTow are two of the leading towing services. They provide reliable towing service at a cheap price. Depending on what body of water you are on, one is likely to be more available than the other. Check around with others on the lake or your dealer.

Check out http://www.boatus.com/ .  Lot's of worthwhile info there for a new boater and worth joining IMO.  I'll assume you've already taken a boating safety course, but if you haven't do it ASAP. BoatUS offers one as do many other online sites.

Welcome to your new addiction! :)

For our lake the leo will definitely not tow you in until you are in trouble and then it will only be the first public boat dock.  In my experience it really depends on your lake for a towing service.  I know several people on our lake that have had trouble getting a tow using boatus so you might also want to ask around with others to get an idea if it is worth it or not.

Find out days & hours that they will tow.  Also the distances they travel to.

How about you just go drop that thing off in front of the dealers showroom and make sure they know about how happy you are with your purchase and hope you dont have to worry about a tow again.

Ok, it sounds like the girl I'm the marina misinformed me, lol. I told her my boat was dead, she said, "do you have the number for county" I said no, she then said, " here is the number for county, call them, that's what they are there for".  Before we even went in the water, I had to go to the Army Corp. of Engineers office, talking to the officer there, he gave me a little pamphlet and said if we get in any trouble or need a tow dial *55, which goes to a dispatch, then to HP I assume.

I understand that law enforcement is not there to tow my boat, however, I don't think he needed to have that attitude or slam my boat into the side of the pier. He was very irritated that we could not steer our boat with out power   . It could be argued both ways on the intent, he's been doing this for 23 years.....

I will check with my insurance co. and see if we have towing on our policy. 

I did take the boater safety course, although not required, I felt it was necessary for all of us to take it so we know what to do on the lake  

Mi3sons - I had my boat there first thing this morning. 

Edit: I will also check into boat us. 

Mhoups,

Don't fret too much.  Did you really think you could join our club and not get hazed?  Think of this as your Rush semester, next year you'll have it all figured out.  This year, go easy on taking too many people out with you.  Get to know your boat, they all have personalities, likes and dislikes.  As mentioned earlier, find an experienced boater to go out with you.  You may find some of the problems you are having are self-induced.  This isn't like owning a car, there is a steeper learning curve involved.

My boat and I have seen a lot together.  Usually we get along just fine.  But lately she's been a witch, so much so that she will probably get a name change to reflect our relationship better.  Her current name is "Knutty Kutty", but may soon be renamed to "My Kryptonite."

5 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Mhoups,

Don't fret too much.  Did you really think you could join our club and not get hazed?  Think of this as your Rush semester, next year you'll have it all figured out.  This year, go easy on taking too many people out with you.  Get to know your boat, they all have personalities, likes and dislikes.  As mentioned earlier, find an experienced boater to go out with you.  You may find some of the problems you are having are self-induced.  This isn't like owning a car, there is a steeper learning curve involved.

My boat and I have seen a lot together.  Usually we get along just fine.  But lately she's been a witch, so much so that she will probably get a name change to reflect our relationship better.  Her current name is "Knutty Kutty", but may soon be renamed to "My Kryptonite."

Nah, I didn't take it as being hazed. It's all good info. 

I picked my boat up today, they said the medallion system was malfunctioning and they also said the antifreeze bottle was broke. The bottle came from the manufacturer broken or was broken during shipping, they had a note on the paper work but it didn't get caught before we took delivery. 

They claim the medallion is the cause for the the revs sky rocketing with to much throttle, we will see. 

Take your time, don't feel rushed ... you don't want to meet that trooper under the same circumstances again. Good luck tomorrow!

The test drive went great, FINALLY. 3rd time on the lake and I finally got to drive to the launch ramp. I also happened to see my trooper buddy...... as I was driving on the lake. 

10 hours ago, Richard W said:

That's great news. Have you waved friendly "hi" to your buddy?

I did, I didn't get a return wave, but I didn't expect to. I have the new boat excitement back, wooo who!! I'm excited to get the motor broke in and have an epic summer. I'm taking my time with the break in, varied speed/rpms, watching temps and so forth. I really like the break in period. I think it's great for first time boat owners, you get to know the boat, how it reacts, etc., and you get to know the lake. 

Welcome to the group.....:oregonian_winesmiley:

You might want to tell the Trooper what happened to the boat, he might be a little more understanding.

Cops and Firefighters deal with a lot of stupid stuff, some days we loss are sense of humor....

On 5/30/2017 at 10:05 PM, Mhoups said:

Ok, it sounds like the girl I'm the marina misinformed me, lol. I told her my boat was dead, she said, "do you have the number for county" I said no, she then said, " here is the number for county, call them, that's what they are there for".  Before we even went in the water, I had to go to the Army Corp. of Engineers office, talking to the officer there, he gave me a little pamphlet and said if we get in any trouble or need a tow dial *55, which goes to a dispatch, then to HP I assume.

I understand that law enforcement is not there to tow my boat, however, I don't think he needed to have that attitude or slam my boat into the side of the pier. He was very irritated that we could not steer our boat with out power   . It could be argued both ways on the intent, he's been doing this for 23 years.....

I will check with my insurance co. and see if we have towing on our policy. 

I did take the boater safety course, although not required, I felt it was necessary for all of us to take it so we know what to do on the lake  

Mi3sons - I had my boat there first thing this morning. 

Edit: I will also check into boat us. 

There is no "tow boat" service on the lake I use. 

brick