Sign in to follow this  
jbmclean226

LED Docking Lights

2008 236ssi with docking lights.  The original halogen lights are just too dim to do any good, so I am wanting to upgrade to a LED replacement.  Anyone here ever made the switch to LEDs?  If so, what lights are you using and where did you get them? 

11 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

Yep, when with the 2nm upgrade.  Here's what I ordered.

http://a.co/2VfytYi

I believe he means the docking lights and not the navigational lights.

Unless I am missing something.

4 minutes ago, EricGT said:

I believe he means the docking lights and not the navigational lights.

Unless I am missing something.

I think your right......

I did upgrade, there were not that brighter. A spot light would be better i think.

FYI, they aren't supposed to be headlights ;)  they are only used for docking.  They should be plenty bright enough for that.  If you are using them as headlights, then you are breaking the law, and blinding other boaters.  Fact is you see better by letting your eyes adjust to the night, rather than trying to light-up the way.  I have 50watt halogens on my tower for docking lights.  I too would like to replace to LED's, but only because the halogens burn so many amps that I get low voltage alarms every time I turn them on.

The small LEDs are flood pattern and are mounted to illuminate about 20 feet in front of the boat, they are not long range and likely wouldnt be an issue for on coming traffic if I were ever to see any. There's a bunch of new LED products out there with programmable colors and brightness which could be useful as well. 

Remember, they are 'Docking Lights" and not to be used while underway. They will provide no benefit to you and will blind other boaters. 

IMO, docking lights are a total waste.  I never use mine because I back into my slip.  Even times when I've pulled up to a restaurant or anything, they really don't do much other than illuminate the water directly in front of the boat.  Them seem like more of a gimmick to me.  One of my biggest pet peeves is boaters who use them underway.  Like Phillbo says, they aren't head lights!

On 10/9/2019 at 1:37 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

IMO, docking lights are a total waste.  I never use mine because I back into my slip.  Even times when I've pulled up to a restaurant or anything, they really don't do much other than illuminate the water directly in front of the boat.  Them seem like more of a gimmick to me.  One of my biggest pet peeves is boaters who use them underway.  Like Phillbo says, they aren't head lights!

I agree with you and Phillbo. Docking lights are for looks and for derelict docks with insufficient lighting that you wouldn't want to tie up to anyway. My boat came with them, but I wouldn't order them if they were an option because it's just another hull penetration / electrical component to deal with.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, Phillbo said:

Remember, they are 'Docking Lights" and not to be used while underway. They will provide no benefit to you and will blind other boaters. 

Who said I was going to use them as headlights? lol  One of my halogens was blown and needed to be replaced anyhow.  I haven't installed them, but the pins look like a perfect fit.  I'm just hoping they last longer and save some energy!

Many times while cruising at night I have mistaken boaters using dock lights on the water as autos on land or a boat going away from me, until I get real close. The dock lights, no matter how small or dim they are, block the nav lights.  Because of this, it prevents other boaters from determining which direction the offending boat is going. 

Using dock lights isn't going to save your hull at night.  Other than buoys, trees and branches are not marked on a chart, are not lit and do not have reflective material on them so dock lights aren't going to save you. Even buoys aren't that good.  One in particular, I have a green can that I use as an entry point going back to the outer harbor. I have marked it on my GPS but I always drag out the spot light to visually identify it before making the turn.  The bird crap on it and the tilt [strong current] prevents the spot light from spotting it.  I have to make a very wide turn around the GPS waypoint.

Personally, I think dock lighting is just a marketing gimmick.

For the safety of all the other boaters out there, turn off your dock lights once you leave the slip.

Docking lights are very useful for trailering my boat at night. My port side light is dim and I'm considering upgrading both of them to LED bulbs in my '08 Sunesta 224. Can anyone tell me what bulb I need, where to find one or provide a link for me? Thanks. I would like to go ahead and have some bulbs before I even take the old ones out but if not then I will just have to go ahead and take the old ones out and match them up the old fashioned way lol.

7 hours ago, Bama Breeze said:

Docking lights are very useful for trailering my boat at night. My port side light is dim and I'm considering upgrading both of them to LED bulbs in my '08 Sunesta 224. Can anyone tell me what bulb I need, where to find one or provide a link for me? Thanks. I would like to go ahead and have some bulbs before I even take the old ones out but if not then I will just have to go ahead and take the old ones out and match them up the old fashioned way lol.

Can't help ya with the bulb info. but I can see how they'd be helpful pulling on to the trailer at night.

I just leave my running lights on (turn headlights off so I don't blind others coming down the ramp) and I can see them under the water to line up. 

There are many links posted in this thread to lights people have used.... 

You should use LED because it is more durable, with a longer shelf life. It is also reliable to stay bright and light up to a considerable distance, without warming up or ruining its encasement with the heat. I use EXZEIT LED, you can buy it on amazon.