NautiBuoy

New 256 SSI Dash

Firstly I apologise for the new thread as I couldn't find the right search words to find the old ones on the same topic. I bought a 2006 256 SSI last year, it was in pretty good shape already but I have set about various upgrades as the year progressed.

The wood 'metal' dashboards were delaminating around the screw holes and looked untidy so I did some research to work out what to do. Replacement parts are impossible and custom ones are expensive. I found some awesome posts on here where lots of people had been asking the same thing and one or two had posted pictures of their modifications using vinyl wraps. Inspired by these posts I had a go and I can tell you the results are impressive with very little effort (other than re-wiring!)

It gave me the oppurtunity to flush mount the chart plotter as there are no good places to mount it on this boat and rearranged some of the switches. The stereo remote had been replaced with a MW4 anyway so it already looked untidy. The result is so close to the original that you could get away with only doing one panel although I did all 3. I cut the panels out of 6mm marine ply, used 3M DI-NOC vinyl wrap with a heat gun to stretch and copious layers of sprayed lacquer to lift out the high gloss. Even up close it looks like a highly polished piece of mahogany, your instruments and switches neatly hide your craftsman imperfections. Remember to label your wires and take lots of photos.

This took me a while and I did it in stages over about 6 months. The first panel loos just like the last one that I only just finished today. Total cost was about $60 not including new toys in the dash like the fume detector etc.

I hope this will be of use to someone, I have got so much out of posts like this in the past.

Cheers

Ben

IMG_8827.JPG

IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

Very nice!  I have a 2005 with the same dash and the same issues around the screws and have also been looking for a solution.

It was a while ago but I’m sure it was Walnut, I didn’t think the Mahogany looked right. A lot of them are pretty close though and once the laquer is applied it should look amazing. I hope this helps.

Nice job. Ben

I've thinking about redoing mine but.......... Still thinking. Thanks for another idea.

I can’t remember what it was but the laquer was just off the shelf in Taylors. Put about 10 layers on allowing plenty of drying time between!