Chobbs

GPS / Chart Plotters

Looking to add a GPS Chart plotter to 2016 246SSi, any recommendations on brands, models, mounting system/location, transducer types etc.  Always inland lakes and rivers, may occasionally fish so fish finder is optional, typically not ultra long distance trips

Thanks in advance 

Chris

My 2012 has a Garmin 541 on it.  I added the inland lakes map last year, right after I bought the boat, and have been impressed with the level of detail in our small, local lake.  The 52/53/54/55cv series are the replacement model.  Screen's small (5"), but works for limited dash space.

I have had Garmin for years. About 4 different models and right now the 742. Great unit, fast and it even doubles as a remote to my Fusion sound systems. Great tech support!  

I've been using my phone(Iphone CE) with Navionics on it. Works great in the Ozark's for finding your way home and around. I keep it a Seasucker phone mount and it has yet to be bounced out of it in the Ozark's. I keep it pluged into the dash lighter and Bluetooth the music. The ap costsabout 11 bucks.

I just got a Lowrance Hook-4 with US lakes from Fleet Farm for under 200 deer. I'll see how well it works later this week, installed it yesterday....

Keep in mind, a chartplotter is sun light readable were a phone is not.  

New here. . . .

Don't know if Chobbs ever got his answer on WHERE to mount it. . . . .

I have the same question . . . . New owner of 1998 2335 and want to add a GPS/Chart Plotter.  Leaning toward a Garmin Echo 7" screen.  There is not a lot of space on top.

Anyone have pics of their installation to share?

10 hours ago, glenn982335 said:

New here. . . .

I have the same question . . . . New owner of 1998 2335 and want to add a GPS/Chart Plotter.  Leaning toward a Garmin Echo 7" screen.  There is not a lot of space on top.

I have a sig 290,  Ok not the same boat in question. But what I have learned, that you want to mount it high so you not looking down. Keeping your eyes more on where your going. 

Its more on, where would you mount it. Whats good for you. Not where someone else would mount it. Place the unit on the helm, move it around to where you think you would want it. Keeping in mind, how to snake the wires to the unit.

14 hours ago, glenn982335 said:

New here. . . .

Yep, I have some pics of my GPS I installed but can't post them ATM.  I will later today when I get back.  The stock GPS was lousy and small and the new unit wouldn't fit in the same space which was center of the dashboard.  So I mounted it on top of the helm to the left and it has an adjustable mount.  Works great.  Nothing wrong with seeing what others did to give you some ideas.

23 hours ago, glenn982335 said:

So here's how I mounted mine.  It's a 741XS.  I wanted to put it on the right side of the helm but that would've interfered with the view out of the window and greatly limited visibility out of that starboard corner of the windshield when seated in the seat.  This side here worked great and doesn't get in the way whether seated, on the bolster or standing up and the quick adjustable bracket is very easy to adjust on the go if need be.

PS: I haven't actually checked yet believe it or not and it's been 3 years since I've had this unit, but I bet it's screwing up my compass being so close to it.  I'm going to check that out this summer and see how accurate the compass is or if it's whacked as a result of the proximity of the electronics in the GPS.

1ddyF0K.jpg

Thanks Iggy and Hatem . . . . . I like the location Hatem has and am considering the same size Garmin.  On the 98' 2335 the windshield seems awfully close to the top of the dash.  I need to put a tape measure on it to get a better idea before I purchase.  Will post a pic when I get it mounted.