Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newboat2016

Just ordered my first drone

44 posts in this topic

I've jealously watched some of the drone footage posted by fellow members and have been wanting a nice drone for awhile, but I just couldn't stomach the $1000+ price tag for what I thought I  wanted (Phantom or Mavic).

 

DJI recently announced their $499 Spark, so I pulled the trigger today and ordered one. They are just now starting to ship and I ordered the combo pack with the extra battery, etc., so my ship date isn't until June 30th. I can hardly wait for my new toy!!

http://www.dji.com/spark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newboat2016 said:

I've jealously watched some of the drone footage posted by fellow members and have been wanting a nice drone for awhile, but I just couldn't stomach the $1000+ price tag for what I thought I  wanted (Phantom or Mavic).

 

DJI recently announced their $499 Spark, so I pulled the trigger today and ordered one. They are just now starting to ship and I ordered the combo pack with the extra battery, etc., so my ship date isn't until June 30th. I can hardly wait for my new toy!!

http://www.dji.com/spark

That looks awesome, please post some stuff when you get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never acquired an interest in drones. Congratulations.  Let us know how it works out.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you get the controller with it?  If you use your smart phone as the controller I've read the range is limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, dn0349 said:

Did you get the controller with it?  If you use your smart phone as the controller I've read the range is limited.

Yep, I ordered the combo pack that includes the controller. However, I'm so impatient I may cancel the order and get the Mavic Pro instead since it's readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do either one of the drones have the follow me function? P3 I believe didn't have it and they changed Gaby with the P4 - which still comes in at a hefty 1.5k depending on the version. So would be interested to know if they do have the feature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with the Mavic Pro if you can - big difference especially range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the Mavic Pro earlier in the year and am very pleased with it. Haven't yet used it on the boat, but will shortly.

I have one thing to recommend:  read the manual and watch as many "how to" videos as you can while you wait for delivery. They are very easy to fly, but have many, many settings that can get a bit overwhelming at times.  Automated flight modes on the Mavic are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the phantom 4 and the one thing I noticed when I fly it from the boat is the downward sensors really do not like being over water.    If your flying from a boat make sure you have a good large flat area because hand retrieving is probably tough with the Mavic.  The phantom is very easy for me to launch and retrieve via hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If shopping for a Mavic and a used one would do if you don't want to delve into with a pricey new one to only figure realize you don't like it, check out RC Groups classified ads.

https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-multirotor-fs-w-733/

I build my own multirotor's, normally hex (6 rotors) multi's, because if 1 motor / prop / ESC is lost, it'll still fly enough to land safely. On a quad, you lose one and down she comes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to cancel the Spark order and I got the Mavic Pro instead.  First flights will be this weekend, but not around any water!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll like it. I found it very easy to fly. The hardest part about it is understanding the menu structure and all the options; once you get the hang of it, it will make sense but a bit convoluted to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newboat2016 said:

I decided to cancel the Spark order and I got the Mavic Pro instead.  First flights will be this weekend, but not around any water!! :D

good call!  You will like the Mavic Pro much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 8:30 PM, ExtremeThing said:

Do either one of the drones have the follow me function? P3 I believe didn't have it and they changed Gaby with the P4 - which still comes in at a hefty 1.5k depending on the version. So would be interested to know if they do have the feature. 

The P3 can absolutely follow you.  However, you have to use the Litchi app (which is a really cool app anyway) instead of the DJI app.  It's not perfect, but the delay actually adds some cool "transitions".  I shot this video with the Litchi Follow Me and a Phantom 3 Advance: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mavic has a mode built-in to the DJI app too allow for following. I got a chance to take two flights this weekend. I didn't spend as much time reading the manual prior to flight as I should have so I was pretty confused.  But by the end of the second flight, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the basics but I'll still keep practicing on dry land for awhile just to be safe.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2017 at 5:38 PM, newboat2016 said:

The Mavic has a mode built-in to the DJI app too allow for following. I got a chance to take two flights this weekend. I didn't spend as much time reading the manual prior to flight as I should have so I was pretty confused.  But by the end of the second flight, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the basics but I'll still keep practicing on dry land for awhile just to be safe.

 

 

Great.  Your post motivated me to jump.  After researching all the drones I order a Mavic Fly More combo.  First thing I had to do was a firmware upgrade.  Then later on I got a message saying firmware mismatch?  Ok, so updated again.  Last night I get the message again?  I'm thinking wth?  Then it dawned on me that each time was with a new battery!!!   Omg, the battery is where the drones onboard memory is.  This is why I keep having to re set the settings that I prefer.

ive done a total of 7 flights so far.  I'm going to the lake this weekend and hope to get some nice video of the fireworks.  I need to practice hand launch and retrieval before taking it afloat.

For piece of mind I also bought the DGI refresh.

I only wanted to kill 500 deer, but I just couldn't due without all the features of the Mavic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duane2135 said:

Omg, the battery is where the drones onboard memory is.  This is why I keep having to re set the settings that I prefer.

Not likely, the drone has own firmware and the batteries different one inside them. If your drone came with controll station, it might have own firmware as well. Often all three need to run the firmware compatible with each other, update of one might be forcing the update of others, this process will also reset your settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duane-

I updated my firmware in both the Mavic and the controller when I got it and I haven't seen any of the firmware error messages you're reporting. I've used multiple batteries as well.

 

Be careful with hand launch and especially retrevial. Lot's of YouTube videos of injured hands!!

 

Check these out? This guy is selling float kits for the Mavic. I ordered a set, but it looks like delivery may be awhile. http://mikeflys.com/store.html#!/DJI-Mavic-Pro-Float-Kit-Due-to-high-demand-shipping-maybe-3-4-weeks/p/82085260/category=23877298

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, Richard W said:

Not likely, the drone has own firmware and the batteries different one inside them. If your drone came with controll station, it might have own firmware as well. Often all three need to run the firmware compatible with each other, update of one might be forcing the update of others, this process will also reset your settings.

More than likely (based on the Phantom 3) you're having these problems not because "the drones memory is on the battery" but rather because each battery has its own firmware.  When you do some firmware updates on the Phantom 3 you also have to update the firmware on each and every battery.  Only with certain updates, mind you.  Check your documentation with the firmware update to see if the battery's firmware also needs to be updated.  

If you're updating a new drone, you're updating from one firmware version to the most recent which could be three or four firmware updates later...if any of the prior updates needed to update the battery's firmware  (even though the last update might not have needed to), you'll have to update the battery as well.  Does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

  Does that make sense?

Yep, once I rotated through all the batteries issue went away.  It just took me a minute to figure out why I got the error twice after latest firmware.

On another note, I've got some nice footage of Possum Kingdom for the Holiday weekend.  Unfortunately cell coverage is poor and I'll have to wait to upload it when I return home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Yep, once I rotated through all the batteries issue went away.  It just took me a minute to figure out why I got the error twice after latest firmware.

On another note, I've got some nice footage of Possum Kingdom for the Holiday weekend.  Unfortunately cell coverage is poor and I'll have to wait to upload it when I return home.

Ah, that's great!  We've been wanting to check out Possum Kingdom now that we have a trailer.  Maybe a late July or August weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Where do you guys post your drone videos to share them?

I'll use You Tube when I post mine.

Possum  Kingdom?  Where the heck is that and why would anybody name a place that? Unless of course, it's full of possums. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0